Official Galway manager thread

Started by GalwayBayBoy, September 07, 2010, 05:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Only 48 pages to go to catch up with the Mayo lads. Get typing. ;D

QuoteLiam Kearns is among a list of five nominees to succeed Joe Kernan as Galway football manager.

Kearns, who has expressed an interest in the vacancy, has also been nominated for the Limerick job - a position he held from 1999 to 2005. The Kerryman also had a spell in charge of Laois in 2006 and '07.

Galway minor boss Gerry Fahy, who managed Offaly in 2004, has also been nominated, as has former Clare manager Frank Doherty, who guided Caltra to an All-Ireland club title in 2004.

Pete Warren, who served as a selector under John O'Mahony when Galway won All-Ireland titles in 1998 and 2001, is also on the shortlist which is completed by former Mayo midfielder Pat Fallon, who had guided Barna to the semi-finals of the Galway SFC.

The Galway football board was due to meet last night to discuss the process for appointing the county's fourth manager since 2007.

Anyway straight away I would rule out Fahy and Doherty. Not the most inspiring list you'd ever see to be honest.

Duine Eile

Liam Kearns wasn't nominated after all the talk about him. The official list is Pat Fallon, Peter Warren, Tomas OFlatharta, Matt Duggan and Gerry Fahy. John Divilly and Frank Doherty were also nominated but withdrew their names from the race. That list doesn't make for great reading, no name hopping out as a front runner at all. Surprised Alan Mulholland wasn't nominated, his name was being mentioned in the list of potentials.

Barney

Who is the favourite locally? A Galway man has managed ye for only 2 of the last 12 seasons! 9 years of Mayo men and Big Joe for one.

I presume Pete Warren will be given a shot at this stage?

Who is Matt Duggan?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Barney on September 07, 2010, 10:14:05 PM
Who is the favourite locally?

None of the above from what I can make out. There is actually very little talk about who will take over and the possible names mentioned would do well to stir any passion amongst their own wives. Let alone amongst Galway football fans. It's an underwhelming selection to say the least. I guess after spending big last year it was always likely it would be back to the bargain bucket for next year.

Duine Eile

Don't think there is a local favourite, the chairman still gets a nomination but I'd say John Joe will be watching himself this year, Joe Kernan arrived after his crusade last year so he's come in for a lot of criticism. Matt Duggan used to play for Annaghdown, I'm not certain but I think he might have played county at some stage, open to correction there though. He's probably only in his 30s, not sure if he has any managerial experience, bit of a wildcard really.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Have many of the 1998 team taken up club management?

What about the likes of Ja Fallon?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Duine Eile

I think Ja is traumatised after his last management experience, he was in Peter Ford's backroom team, made a big comeback on the field in a qualifier against Westmeath and had to come off injured after playing terribly. Don't think he has the presence for management to be honest, he's done it all on the field but he's a fairly quiet and unassuming person.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on September 07, 2010, 10:52:35 PM
Have many of the 1998 team taken up club management?

What about the likes of Ja Fallon?

Ja, Michael Donnellan and Tomas Mannion were quiet unassuming lads as DE said. Doubt they are the management type to be honest.

The two you could definitely see making good coaches at some point were Kevin Walsh and Padraig Joyce. Walsh is staying with Sligo while PJ still plays on.

Sean Og de Paor is another who I think could do well at some point but so far the only experience he has is with St Mary's college.

moysider

Sean Óg is a quiet unassuming fella. Has been involved at U21 level. Not sure management his thing. PJ an obvious candidate any time he feels like it. But he could be another Val Daly - and we all know how Seán Óg felt about him as manager. Probably the only man fella  DePaor was negative about in his book. PJ a great player but strikes me as a man that doesn't suffer fools gladly. Manager s have to suffer fools.

Donnellys Hollow

Divilly was over NUI Maynooth this year and was relatively successful with them. They put out UUJ up the North and lost against DCU having been well in the game until the last few minutes. That was a decent Sigerson for them considering their size relative to UUJ and DCU. Any reason why he's not in the running?

Ó Flaharta is a handy operator and would get Galway up to a decent level IMO.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: moysider on September 07, 2010, 11:44:11 PM
PJ a great player but strikes me as a man that doesn't suffer fools gladly. Manager s have to suffer fools.

Possibly but people would probably have said the same about McGeeney before his spell with Kildare.

I actually don't know if PJ will even go into coaching although it's long been rumoured that he will. I think because he has such a great brain on the football field it is presumed that it will translate into being a good coach and while it might you just don't know. There are so many variables into what makes a good coach. Not least you have to actually want to be one.

IolarCoisCuain

I thought I heard something on the wireless about Seán Fada Ó Domhnaill being a contender?

Duine Eile

Padraic has been involved with our u-21s the last few years and the lads have the highest praise for him, he was involved in the international rules management a few years back as well with Sean Boylan. Actually, he has more managerial experience than some of the lads being mentioned  :-\  Sean Fada-I don't think so, sure wasn't he there this year and didn't make much of an impression really.

GaillimhIarthair

Its a poor enough list of names in all fairness.  Have to say im very disappointed that Alan Mulholland doesnt feature.  Personally, I would like to see a management team of Alan, Sean Og and either Mannion or Silke giving it a shot.  Some of these might not be everyones cup of tea but they are all fiercely passionate about Galway football and their relative youth would also bring a new freshness to the county setup which seems to have been lacking in recent years.  Unfortunately though, I think John Joe will be playing it very safe this year!

North Longford

Matt Duggan is a Longford man who played intercounty midfield with Longford. Think he was a garda and transferred clubs when he moved down there. Not sure if he played intercounty with Galway cos almost sure he still played some with Longford after his club transfer. As far his managerial ability would go...no idea altho he was rather inconsistent as a midfielder. Hes also probably well into his 40's.