GAA measures in place to stop pitch invasions

Started by Peter Solan the Great, August 28, 2010, 08:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

i thought the presentation was a joke , the past few years all you heard about was what the players were missing out on . I thought there would  be fireworks or something spectacular however all the boys got was some gold paper dropped on then from a height . i would like to hear the players thoughts on the presentation to see what they thought of it .
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

No reply to my email last week either.... Quelle Surprise.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Jinxy on September 07, 2010, 12:56:47 PM
I'm genuinely getting angry now lads.  >:(

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=135122

f**k the c***ts anyway Jinxy. Next time Mayo win anything I'm running out on the pitch, be it a Connacht title/U-21 Connacht title even, don't give a damn!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Jinxy

You could be shot at the rate we're going.
Or at least tasered.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 07, 2010, 01:03:51 PM

f**k the c***ts anyway Jinxy. Next time Mayo Sligo win anything I'm running out on the pitch, be it a Connacht title/U-21 Connacht title even, don't give a damn!
+1+1+1
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

omagh_gael

I used to have both feet firmly in the 'fans on the pitch' camp but after watching the hurling final I think I have to reassess my position. There were a number of positives such as the Tipp players/management being able to truely celebrate together as a team. Killenny lads were also given the space to console themselves/eachother without a crowd of yahoo's crowding round them. These are just two positives, however, I still fail to see need to go all out with the notion of a zero tolerance approach to fans getting on the field.

Surely there could have been a controlled volume of fans allowed onto the field after the first oneor two minutes when players et al have celebrated or made their way behind a ring of Stewarts at the centre of the Hogan. This allows the best of both worlds with keeping the tradition of the sea of fans on the pitch for the presetation and also removes this ridiculous over the top cordon of security/guards/Stewarts that would put the security arrangements for Popes visit to Britain in the shade.

andoireabu

From that Hogan Stand article Cooney says

"We asked them to stay off the pitch and they honoured that"

By "asked" does he mean "fenced them out"?

Plus I can't see how he is going to get that many stewards to four grounds around the country for 8 matches.  when it becomes too expensive then there will be a backtrack and hopefully it will go back to what it was.

It wouldn't be a good thing if all Christy is remembered for is the GPA thing and the fences around Croke Park.
Can't even really remember what the GPA thing was.........
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

ross4life

Quote from: Jinxy on September 07, 2010, 11:44:04 AM
So 700 less people get to see the All-Ireland finals because of this stupid c*nt of a fence.  >:(

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/hill-capacity-to-be-kept-at-lower-level-2327315.html

I think it's a lot less than the attendance figures suggest, what about the front two rows in the Canal,Hogan & Cusack stand taken up with Orange mesh

The Gaa count these as sold in tickets when in truth up to 2,000 seats are taken away
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mrgaa1

Quote from: ross4life on September 07, 2010, 06:47:23 PM
So 700 less people get to see the All-Ireland finals because of this stupid c*nt of a fence.  >:(

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/hill-capacity-to-be-kept-at-lower-level-2327315.html

I think it's a lot less than the attendance figures suggest, what about the front two rows in the Canal,Hogan & Cusack stand taken up with Orange mesh

The Gaa count these as sold in tickets when in truth up to 2,000 seats are taken away
Sorry I think your completely wrong there - the orange mesh was lying on the inside.  There were people sitting in the front row seats.

ross4life

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 07, 2010, 01:03:51 PM

f**k the c***ts anyway Jinxy. Next time Mayo win anything I'm running out on the pitch, be it a Connacht title/U-21 Connacht title even, don't give a damn!

Certainly won't stop me either, in 2001 Hyde park had barbed wire fences on the stand side they didn't stop invasion! bring it on GAA i love to scale heights  :)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross4life

Quote from: mrgaa1 on September 07, 2010, 06:52:11 PM
Quote from: ross4life on September 07, 2010, 06:47:23 PM

Sorry I think your completely wrong there - the orange mesh was lying on the inside.  There were people sitting in the front row seats.

Well i wasn't at Sundays game but from the TV it looked that way! it was that way for Roscommon v Cork & covering the front rows is another Soccer tactic to control fans from entering the field

Dougal Maguire

Well I was at the game and you are wrong all the rows in the stands were occupied. I think, mind you, that your comment speaks for itself. Many of the posts about this matter appear to have come from people who weren't at the match and didn't savour the atmosphere at first hand. OK I'll admit that the screens are awful, as are the rows of security men ( although I have it on good authority that these were all GAA men working on a voluntary basis) and yes the streamers were a bit crass. However the atmosphere was great, the spontaneous singing of the Galtee Mountain Boy ( although 2 verses would have sufficed), the playing of Slievenamon after the presentations and the crowd all joining in and the playing of Beautiful Day as the team made their way to Hill 16 all added to the occasion. I think the main problem appears to be the fact that RTE chose not to show any of this thus ensuring that its viewers were robbed of the sense of occasion that we all experienced
Careful now

Minder

I always like the pitch invasion because when you are in the Cusack and are dying with a hangover you can cut across the pitch and go out the exit between the Hogan and Nally.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Minder on September 07, 2010, 09:47:18 PM
I always like the pitch invasion because when you are in the Cusack and are dying with a hangover you can cut across the pitch and go out the exit between the Hogan and Nally.
:D
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something