GAA measures in place to stop pitch invasions

Started by Peter Solan the Great, August 28, 2010, 08:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on September 06, 2010, 08:58:56 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 06, 2010, 08:52:49 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on September 06, 2010, 08:31:10 PM
Quote from: Minder on September 06, 2010, 07:55:26 AM
Now that Cooneys plan succeeded we will see the sponsors coming out to play more in the next few years. Most likely a presentation in the middle of the pitch with all the associated logos, Champions League style.

On what basis do you make such a sweeping statement?
I was at the match yesterday and I thought the whole presentation thing was great. The lad who sung Galtee Mountain Boy probably sang 2 verses more than he should have but all in all I think is was pretty good. The presentation in the stand could be seen on the big screens and the fans singing Championees after the presentation, whilst not necessarily appealing to the dyed in the wool traditionalists, I thought brought an added dimension. Not so sure about the Black Eyed Peas after the minor match but then they were appealing to a different audience and we must remember that and we must be prepared to change with the times. As always the GAA is damned if it does and damned if it doesn't.
On the basis that we're not stupid and we know the GAA!

So are you saying that the GAA should not accept sponsorship??
No, of course they should but they should not sell out tradition and the grass root members for cash.  Certainly don't treat us like we're idiots.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Dougal Maguire

But who's treating who as an idiot here?  Someone made a statement that in the next few years the presentation will be on the pitch with sponsors logos etc. Where's the evidence?
Careful now

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on September 06, 2010, 09:06:18 PM
But who's treating who as an idiot here?  Someone made a statement that in the next few years the presentation will be on the pitch with sponsors logos etc. Where's the evidence?
There's none, it's what we expect will happen- where's the evidence that there's however many number of claims made for injuries after invasions or that there's some ridiculous amount of money spent repairing the pitch?

It's speaks volumes about the GAA when we don't trust those who run it.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Hardy

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on September 06, 2010, 08:58:25 PM
Quote from: Hardy on September 06, 2010, 04:49:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x9CT3WzEH4

[Edited by Mod3 - Cop on, no need for that. If you can't debate, then don't post]

How do you pluck up the courage to get out of bed in the morning for fear of stubbing your toe?  ???

I saw your contribution before the mod stepped in. Interesting, if cretinous way to conduct a discussion.

What are you talking about, in any case?

Wait - don't bother.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 06, 2010, 09:12:00 PM
There's none, it's what we expect will happen- where's the evidence that there's however many number of claims made for injuries after invasions or that there's some ridiculous amount of money spent repairing the pitch?

Sensationalist nonsense. I remember when the new Cusack Stand was built the whole talk was that it was going to be named after a sponsor rather than retain its original name. Did that happen??  No. 
Careful now

cornafean

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on September 06, 2010, 10:19:45 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 06, 2010, 09:12:00 PM

Sensationalist nonsense. I remember when the new Cusack Stand was built the whole talk was that it was going to be named after a sponsor rather than retain its original name. Did that happen??  No.

The Croke Park authorities still persisted in calling it "The New Stand" on tickets and in publications from its opening in 1995 until around 2000/01. This move made no sense at the time unless they were considering dropping Cusack's name altogether. The fact that the name was eventually restored does not alter this.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

armaghniac

QuoteThe Croke Park authorities still persisted in calling it "The New Stand" on tickets and in publications from its opening in 1995 until around 2000/01. This move made no sense at the time unless they were considering dropping Cusack's name altogether. The fact that the name was eventually restored does not alter this

In defence of the powers that be, there was an idea floating around to have a Cusack level, so perhaps this was harmless.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Hardy on September 06, 2010, 09:16:19 PM

I am talking about your irrational fear (built on foundations of quicksand) of the four horsemen of the apocalypse galloping over the 21' at the railway end in the event of further pitch invasions.

If you are so scared of theoretical disasters, which in Team America speak would be 9-11 times a thousand, how do you manage to go about your daily life? I take it you don't drive a car for fear of an accident? Do you have hot water in the house? It can scald you know...

The attitude of removing people's freedoms for fear over something that has an extremely low probability of happening is pathetic, it actually sickens me (which is no doubt quite clearly coming across in some of my replies).
i usse an speelchekor

orangeman

What's all this about ?? Supporters on the pitch in Semple ? I wonder what Christy has to say about this ?

Hardy

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on September 07, 2010, 07:40:03 AM
Quote from: Hardy on September 06, 2010, 09:16:19 PM

I am talking about your irrational fear (built on foundations of quicksand) of the four horsemen of the apocalypse galloping over the 21' at the railway end in the event of further pitch invasions.

If you are so scared of theoretical disasters, which in Team America speak would be 9-11 times a thousand, how do you manage to go about your daily life? I take it you don't drive a car for fear of an accident? Do you have hot water in the house? It can scald you know...

The attitude of removing people's freedoms for fear over something that has an extremely low probability of happening is pathetic, it actually sickens me (which is no doubt quite clearly coming across in some of my replies).

And you did this comprehensive psychoanalysis based on my post above? It'd be very impressive if it made any sense.

Were you a bedwetter?

orangeman

Joe Brolly in a recent article wrote that he had been at a Q & A session in Mayobridge recently where he described Jarlath Burns as Christy Cooney's "lapdog" and he related how when the issue of the fence came up, Jarlath said that the public liability for Croke Park was € 157,000 a year and that it was because of this huge figure that the fences had to go up.

Someone from the crowd shouted that the €157k figure wouldn't pay Christy's salary. Brolly went on to say that it wouldn't look at Jarlath's fireworks bill of €500k, nor the €800k paid in 2009 to consultants nor the €1.6m paidevery year to the GPA.

I don't think Jarlath would appreciate being called Christy Cooney's "lapdog". Jarlath obviously has ambitions of going to the top of the assoication as president. Joe clearly hasn't.

Banana Man

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

orangeman

Quote from: Jinxy on September 07, 2010, 11:44:04 AM
So 700 less people get to see the All-Ireland finals because of this stupid c*nt of a fence.  >:(

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/hill-capacity-to-be-kept-at-lower-level-2327315.html

Is this Mc Kenna man actually Allistair Campbell the former labour party spin doctor in disguise ?

[b]McKenna said the decision wasn't taken because of any potential impairment of vision due to the barrier. "The view is actually quite good, but naturally people will be inclined to try and see over it and that's where the capacity decision is taken in the interests of safety."

The cost of holding back so many tickets would be in the region of €20,000 for the association -- €40,000 when the football final is taken into account[/b]

Banana Man

I think Paddy Heaney summed it perfectly in his article today. The final went from the Cuchulainn type spirit to the champions league spirit. As he says the Tipp lads just wanted to spend the glory with their families, neighbours, brothers, mothers etc but we're kept apart by an outside security company

There is a photo showing orange netting in place that equates to at least a 6ft fene, then a wall of hired goons then a wall of Guards - it has to be the most hostile, aggressive personification of dictatorship I have witnessed in the south. It highlights all that is wrong with these boys in HQ and how divorced they are from the grassroots.

I can just picture the (insert whatever word you want) standing up in their corporate boxes grinning and backslapping while they wipe the roast beef of the corner of their mouths with a silk hankerchief. It maks my blood boil, they think they own OUR stadium and we have to adhere to what they envisage is our collective future.

It harks back to an Ireland of old where the colonial influence was fully exerted by our foreign masters and implemented by the 'Yes men' hierarchy we had 'leading' us and pandering to their paymasters whim