AI Football Final 2010: An Corcaigh vs An Dún

Started by under the bar, August 23, 2010, 02:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: jas376 on September 11, 2010, 11:10:17 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 08, 2010, 02:37:49 PM
Was driving around the South West all last week and you wouldn't have a clue Cork were in an AI final in two weeks such was the lack of colour around the place. There were more Cork flags displayed in the Kingdom than there was in Cork ffs, so may I be the first to say Up Down.

As a native of the South-West, let me explain! Cork is now in its third football final in four years - if we combine senior football and hurling I think Cork has  featured in six or seven finals over the last eight years. Therefore, being in an All -Ireland final is no longer a novelty for Cork GAA supporters  - hence the lack of hype this year.
   Also, Cork people have become very wary of merely reaching a final as we have lost a lot of finals in recent years. In fact, our only two senior victories in the past decade were achieved by the hurlers as far back as '04 and '05. As a result, there has been a  reasonably low-key build up  to this year's final which I, for one, am glad of.
      Furthermore, there's a lot of anxiety around Cork regarding injuries to key footballers. Four or five of the senior players are presently struggling with injury/fitness issues, namely, G. Canty, J. Miskella, N. Murphy,  F. Goold and A. Lynch. Hence, we don't know what kind of a Cork team is going to play on Sunday week
      Finally, there's considerable psychological pressure on Cork  this year as the thought of losing a third final in four years is unbearable. Also, Down are something of an 'unknown quantity' to us as we rarely play them. However, we are well aware of Down's potential - we saw two great displays from Down this year in beating Kerry and Kildare and we know that absolutely anything can happen on the day.
     All of this is making for a very anxious build-up to the final for Cork and so we have little appetite for revelry and fanfare at the moment. Then again, this may all change in the next week as supporters begin to show their support for this great Cork team that, despite many setbacks, refuses to give up in their search for that elusive All -Ireland win.

Jaysus, it doesn't take much effort to hang a flag out the front of your house, I've never seen such a lack of interest for an AI final from a competing county, the players deserve better
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Orior

Spotted a girl driving down the Castlereagh Road in east Belfast this morning. That is not unusual.

Her car was flying a Down flag. That is unusual  :o
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

fingerbob

Quote from: Orior on September 13, 2010, 01:37:50 PM
Spotted a girl driving down the Castlereagh Road in east Belfast this morning. That is not unusual.

Her car was flying a Down flag. That is unusual  :o

Was parked on one of the roads behind dunnes just before the ormeau bridge, on which the kerbs had been painted red white and blue, whilst two of the cars on the street had down flags on them.

Banana Man

I had posted a bit of this on another thread but long story short

at the new road at the sheepbridge, where the union flags were put up 2 lads from Glenn went and took two down and put up 3 down flags, 2 meat wagons landed in and arrested the rebels for breach of the peace, incitement and illegal flying of flags

a day later the down flags were down and a union flag an st Andrew flag were in their place and no one arrested - ridiculous  >:(

snoopdog

Quote from: Banana Man on September 13, 2010, 02:10:04 PM
I had posted a bit of this on another thread but long story short

at the new road at the sheepbridge, where the union flags were put up 2 lads from Glenn went and took two down and put up 3 down flags, 2 meat wagons landed in and arrested the rebels for breach of the peace, incitement and illegal flying of flags

a day later the down flags were down and a union flag an st Andrew flag were in their place and no one arrested - ridiculous  >:(

Was by there on sat and thought the flags had changed. Obviously someone local is keeping an eye on those. Arent those union flags meant to be removed by the end of august each year.
You would travel along the m1 and would only see a few flags at sheepbridge and on up at the turn off for Dromintine .
Im exiled in Dublin the flags are flying proudly out the house window, a few neighbours have shouted up down at me. Noticed a few cars around the city with Down Flags on them also.

rossglass

felt a little uneasy driving round lisburn with my flags out en route to airport the other day. did get a few odd looks

Lazer

Quote from: rossglass on September 13, 2010, 03:46:10 PM
felt a little uneasy driving round lisburn with my flags out en route to airport the other day. did get a few odd looks

I don't have any Down stuff in my car - but insdie my house thats different - there is a few bits and pieces scattered around!
Living off the Lisburn road in Bellfast so decided against the flags etc - but I do have the Down CD's on when i'm out driving around
My mum won't let me fly a flag from my house at home either - in case it offends the neighbours - and we live in Castlewellan!

And i've been wearing red and black to work a lot recently!
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

Apple Crumble

After studying the game at the weekend,

Cork will win by at least 5 points.

Apple Crumble

Quote from: messy gael on September 13, 2010, 06:41:41 PM
Quote from: Apple Crumble on September 13, 2010, 05:04:58 PM
After studying the game at the weekend,

Cork will win by at least 5 points.

Apple, after studying so hard, I am interested to how you came to your conclusion ?

Cork are a good team.  Better than what they have been playing.  They are a bigger team and are due a good performance.

Though, I could be wrong.

jas376

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann link= 
Jaysus, it doesn't take much effort to hang a flag out the front of your house,
/quote]

Jaysus, sure maybe I will so - even though flags don't win All Irelands, as we know too well from experience.

Jinxy

If Cork win, will they get any All-Stars?  ???
Because right now, I'm struggling to think of a single Cork player that deserves one.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Jinxy on September 13, 2010, 09:11:48 PM
Because right now, I'm struggling to think of a single Cork player that deserves one.

Paddy Kelly, if he has a good final will get one and possibly Kerrigan. Shields is the only other IMO.

jas376

If Cork wins on Sunday, it will get many All- Stars  - the winning team always does.

If Cork loses, it will get very few as Cork's  performances to date have not impressed many neutral viewers.

Michael Clifford in today's Daily Mail picked his All Star team for this year based on performances to date and didn't include a sinlge Cork player on his team. His team compised four Down players, three from both Dublin and Kildare, two from Tyrone and one from each of  Kerry, Louth and Sligo. This type of journalism suits Cork very well in the lead up to next Sunday, by the way.

I agree with a previous poster that Kelly, Kerrigan and Shields a are the most likely Cork players to win awards but next Sunday will determine a lot. Another possibility is Paudie Kissane as he has won two 'man of the match' awards so far this year.

In the Onion Bag

Quote from: jas376 on September 13, 2010, 09:45:12 PM

If Cork wins on Sunday, it will get many All- Stars  - the winning team always does.

If Cork loses, it will get very few as Cork's  performances to date have not impressed many neutral viewers.

Michael Clifford in today's Daily Mail picked his All Star team for this year based on performances to date and didn't include a sinlge Cork player on his team. His team compised four Down players, three from both Dublin and Kildare, two from Tyrone and one from each of  Kerry, Louth and Sligo. This type of journalism suits Cork very well in the lead up to next Sunday, by the way.

I agree with a previous poster that Kelly, Kerrigan and Shields a are the most likely Cork players to win awards but next Sunday will determine a lot. Another possibility is Paudie Kissane as he has won two 'man of the match' awards so far this year.

If anyone thinks Graham Canty isn't in line for an allstar they are deluding themselves

jas376

Quote from: In the Onion Bag link=topic=17150.msg850873#msg850873 date=1284411187

/quote]

If anyone thinks Graham Canty isn't in line for an allstar they are deluding themselves

Maybe, but his injury might affect his chances. The fact that he had to be taken off v Dublin won't help him for one thing.

Also, the word down here at the moment is that Canty won't play at all on Sunday - apparently he was miles off the pace at the team's final 'hard' training session at the weekend and the thinking is that Counihan won't risk playing an unfit player again.

If this is the case, then  I wouldn't have much hope for his chances of winning an All-Star.