The Dubs v Tipp, Qualifier R2, 10 July 2010

Started by Hound, July 06, 2010, 09:02:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mannix

yes wexford did the four in a row way back then, and tipp were a power back then also, just wonder what happened to make hurling so strong in both counties.

Zulu

The Rackards came along in Wexford anyway, I think both codes were equally strong at that time but the Wexford hurling team powered by the Rackard brothers help make hurling the more popular game. However, most clubs in Wexford take both sports seriously. Not sure about Tipp, south and west Tipp would still be more football country.

Onlooker

Quote from: mannix on July 06, 2010, 03:35:48 PM
yeah, no brits allowed near the grounds this time, especially with guns.
any idea why the likes of tipp and wexford fell by the wayside for so long in football?  anyway i hope tipp give the dubs something to think about on the day.
I think that there is a difference between Wexford and Tipperary.  I would say that Wexford were very much a football county until the Rackards & Co. came along in the 1950's.  They were such a sucessful and popular team that hurling took over as the No. 1 sport and dominated the scene in Wexford at inter county level until recent years.  I would think that Wexford was and still is very much a dual county at club level with as many footballers as hurlers in the county and many dual players.  Hurling, of course, was always very strong in Tipperary and Tipp were every bit as sucessful as Cork and Kilkenny for most of the history of the GAA, though you have to say that Tipp have been very much No. 3 to the Big 2 for the best part of the last 35 or 40 years.  No one seems to know why this is so.  Traditionally football in Tipp was strongest in South Tipperary, parts of West Tipperary and around Templemore & Loughmore in Mid Tipperary with very liittle coming from North Tipperary.  This is still very much the case although there are 2 players from North Tipp on the Tipp team these days = George Hannigan and Philip Austin.  I think that a huge factor in the lack of success of Tipperary and Limerick and the other Munster counties is the provincial system.  To win a provincial title you generally have to beat both Kerry and Cork and that is a huge task every year in any grade.  I have no doubt that if Tipp or Limerick were playing in Connacht or Leinster they would have achieved an awful lot more than in Munster.  We all know Limerick's brave afforts to win a Munster title in recent years.  Tipperary won their first ever Munster Under 21 title this year, but had been beaten in 8 Finals by either Kerry or Cork.  Tipp have made serious efforts at Under Age level in recent years and getting to the last 4 Munster Under 21 finals is proof of that.  This year we finally got our reward.  Playing Dublin in Croke Park in a Championship match is something special for Tipperary footballers because of the tradition of Bloody Sunday and of the last All Ireland win in 1920.  Tipp beat Dublin by 4 points in that game, so you could say we are the form team!!.  Seriously, Dublin are hot favourites for Saturday's game and rightly so.  IMO they are a better team that the result against Meath suggests.  An awful lot of things went against Dublin that day.  However, this is the Qualifier Draw that Tipp wanted and the game being in Croke Park is far better than playing in Parnell Park or Thurles.  We all hope for the best and fear the worst, but Tipp won't have the hang up against Dublin, that they would playing Kerry or Cork.  I think Tipp will give it a good shot and provided the big occasion does not get to them I think they could push Dublin all the way.  This is a huge game for Tipp.  The players have earned their day in the sun.  Maybe it is too much to hope for a win, but you never know and I think we will see a good performance anyway.  Best of luck to them.

Hound

Revised rumoured team!

Paul Casey not making it after all.
Fennell injured apparently.

Cluxton
Fitzsimons - O'Carroll - McMahon
Henry - Brennan - Nolan
McConnell - McAuley
A.Brogan - Corkery - Flynn
B.Brogan - O'Gara - McManamon

heffo

Quote from: Hound on July 07, 2010, 01:48:18 PM
Revised rumoured team!

Cluxton
Henry - Brennan - Nolan
McConnell - McAuley

My info is that Brennan is out and a few positional changes

Declan

That's the team apparently - didn't hear about Brennan.
Tipp at 5/1 to win or a handicap of+6 - Lump your money on

Hound

Quote from: heffo on July 07, 2010, 02:00:34 PM
Revised rumoured team!

Cluxton
Henry - Brennan - Nolan
McConnell - McAuley

I wonder did Brennan get a reprieve with Fennell being out?

Or if Ross was moved to CHB and Corkery to midfield, who would come in at half forward?

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Hound on July 07, 2010, 02:25:44 PM
Revised rumoured team!

Cluxton
Henry - Brennan - Nolan
McConnell - McAuley

Or if Ross was moved to CHB and Corkery to midfield, who would come in at half forward?

Cullen

INDIANA

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on July 07, 2010, 02:39:15 PM
Revised rumoured team!

Cluxton
Henry - Brennan - Nolan
McConnell - McAuley

Cullen
no chance. Really don't like that selection. Depends on TIPP. If they believe in themselves the shock of the century is on the cards. Although it depends whether you'd consider Tipp beating Dublin a shock anymore. personally I'd consider it a surprise these days but certainly not a shock considering our low ebb.

heffo

Quote from: INDIANA on July 07, 2010, 08:08:30 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on July 07, 2010, 02:39:15 PM
Revised rumoured team!

Cluxton
Henry - Brennan - Nolan
McConnell - McAuley

Cullen
no chance. Really don't like that selection. Depends on TIPP. If they believe in themselves the shock of the century is on the cards. Although it depends whether you'd consider Tipp beating Dublin a shock anymore. personally I'd consider it a surprise these days but certainly not a shock considering our low ebb.

That's the galling thing - it won't be a shock.

Tipp will be so up for this and could well do it Sunday - the only consolation of that would be Gilroy resigning (from what I'm told he's already getting the vibe that he's not wanted in the dressing room)

AZOffaly

If it was down the country maybe, but I can't see it in Croker.

Gilroy will go anyway I'd say, but sure what then? What odds Micko?

Kerry Mike

A Tipp and Cavan Double at the weekend would do nicely....
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Declan

Five in for Dubs as Tipp name unchanged side
Friday, July 09, 2010 - 12:37 PM

Dublin manager Pat Gilroy and his Tipperary counterpart John Evans have named their line-ups ahead of Saturday's Round 2 GAA All-Ireland Senior Football qualifier at Croke Park (6pm).

Gilroy has made five changes in personnel to his team from the one which lost to Meath by 11 points in last month's Leinster SFC semi-final at Croke Park.

Kevin Nolan, David Henry, Michael Dara McAuley, Eoghan O'Gara and Kevin McManamon come in to the side; with Bryan Cullen, Barry Cahill, Eamon Fennell, Conal Keaney and Tomas Quinn out.

Nolan slots in at right-half-back, with Ger Brennan moving to the centre in place of Bryan Cullen; with David Henry included on the left wing in place of Barry Cahill.

Ross McConnell continues at midfield, and is named alongside Michael Dara McAuley who is in for the injured Eamon Fennell.

Up front, Paul Flynn and Niall Corkery switch wings on the half-forward line, with Alan Brogan continuing in the centre.

Bernard Brogan is the only player retained on a new look full-forward line, with Conal Keaney and Tomas Quinn out.

Brogan moves to the right-corner, with Eoghan O'Gara named at full-forward, and he is flanked by Kevin McManamon on the left.

Meanwhile, Tipperary manager John Evans has opted to stick with the same starting line-up from the side which beat Laois by a point in their Round 1 qualifier meeting at Semple Stadium.

Evans has resisted the option to start forward Brian Mulvihill, who slotted over the match winner against the O'Moore's.

Saturday's game is Tipperary's first Senior football Championship game at Croke Park since their 2-19 to 0-15 defeat to Donegal in 2003, although they did win the Tommy Murphy Cup at GAA Headquarters in 2005.

DUBLIN (SF v Tipperary): Stephen Cluxton; Michael Fitzsimons, Rory O'Carroll, Philip McMahon; Kevin Nolan, Ger Brennan, David Henry; Michael Dara McAuley, Ross McConnell; Niall Corkery, Alan Brogan, Paul Flynn; Bernard Brogan, Eoghan O'Gara, Kevin McManamon.

TIPPERARY (SF v Dublin): Matthew O'Donnell; Paddy Codd, Robbie Costigan, Andrew Morrissey; Ciaran McGrath, Brian Jones, Brian Fox; George Hannigan, Kevin Mulryan; Stephen Hahassy, Hugh Coghlan, Peter Acheson; Philip Austin, Barry Grogan, Conor Sweeney.

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/breakingnews/sport/five-in-for-dubs-as-tipp-name-unchanged-side-464841.html#ixzz0tBkK0Jl8

put-it-up

Am I the only that thinks Brennan is dung? I'd have Cullen in ahead of him any day. What is going through Gilroy's head. I don't think he knows what way he wants to play anymore or who the play and the result is 15 lads in Dublin jerseys looking like startled earwigs once they hit the grass ;D

mannix

I seen Mayo vs dublin in the league and the dubs won the game but were one of the poorest sides I have seen. Mayo were all over them and kicked 16-17 wides and dropped about 5 shots short. Gilroy like JOM must be wondering whats going wrong, they made meath look like kerry. Meath are a middling team, but 5 goals? I think we could see a shock.