The Dubs v Tipp, Qualifier R2, 10 July 2010

Started by Hound, July 06, 2010, 09:02:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: Hound on July 11, 2010, 09:10:32 AM
Well the conditions were atrocious, players slipping all over the place, ball like a bar of soap, so very hard to judge individual performances. Certainly neither team played the conditions well - should have been instructions not to hop the ball and all passes should have been aimed at the chest.

I was delighted with McAuley's performance. Showed great drive and energy and will hopefully come on for his next championship game.

O'Gara did better than I thought he would (I don't particulalry rate him). Got a point, made a goal. KevMac tried hard but it didnt really come off for him. Nolan and Henry did reasonably well, certainly enough to justify the decision to select them.

I was also happy with the substitutions made and the score of 1-21. Plenty of things to be less happy with, but I'll let others cover that!

And sure, if getting the win is annoying the odd bitter Laois and Cavanman , that has to be good. Hopefully the qualifier draw is more favourable than the last time we were in the qualifiers when we drew a very strong Armagh team.

I was hugely disappointed with Nolan Hound. There is no rhyme no reason to the non-selection of Cahill. None. He is better on one leg then 90% of the dublin panel. We have to keep going back to players who people are so anxious to get rid of because the replacements haven't got it. I was unbelievably disappointed in Tipp.

Heard all the talk of them being a coming team. Jaysus I'd hate to see them playing badly then so. Austin looks very good and the number 7 was excellent. Sweeney in the corner has a lovely left foot and is a much better player then Grogan who bar the goal and frees did little else. Couldn't get over how weak they were in taking the ball past people.

How in Gods creation Hound can you be happy with the selection when the bench contains far superior footballers then those on the park. Its maddenning at this stage. If we picked our best team we'd at least be competitive. But without it we are vunerable against almost anyone.

It was a timely reminder as to where Dublin would be without the Brogans. Probably where Tipp are

heffo

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 10, 2010, 06:37:28 PM
Dublin "fans" on Hill 16 being as respectful as always to the opposition free takers

You're a bitter little man TRLL - must be all those years living beside Neilstown

Armaghgeddon

One thing is of concern in regards to this game. Why was it on TV?

We all hear the Dub fans bragging about the GAA needing them. Well you aren't going to get supporters going to games when it is on TV! They should have put the Cork and Cavan game on TV this weekend.

heffo

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on July 11, 2010, 12:52:17 PM

We all hear the Dub fans bragging about the GAA needing them.

Do we?

I know I read Michael Delaney's annual Leinster report and he outlines how many culchie clubhouses can be built on the back of bumper Dublin attendances in years gone by, but can't quite recall 'the Dub fans' 'bragging' about this - can you shed anymore info on the subject?

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: heffo on July 11, 2010, 12:55:59 PM
Quote from: Armaghgeddon on July 11, 2010, 12:52:17 PM

We all hear the Dub fans bragging about the GAA needing them.

Do we?

I know I read Michael Delaney's annual Leinster report and he outlines how many culchie clubhouses can be built on the back of bumper Dublin attendances in years gone by, but can't quite recall 'the Dub fans' 'bragging' about this - can you shed anymore info on the subject?

Maybe not everyone but from personal experience I have heards from many dub friends who tell me all the time that the GAA needs them and I do to agree with them. I have also previously suggested that I think the qualifiers would benefit both the county team and the GAA as a whole. The likes of Kerry or Cork aren't going to travel to Dublin for a qualifier I wouldn't think. If Dublin got teams like Armagh, Wexford, Down or Kildare then there would be a good crowd in attendance.

Hound

Quote from: INDIANA on July 11, 2010, 11:16:17 AM
Well the conditions were atrocious, players slipping all over the place, ball like a bar of soap, so very hard to judge individual performances. Certainly neither team played the conditions well - should have been instructions not to hop the ball and all passes should have been aimed at the chest.

I was delighted with McAuley's performance. Showed great drive and energy and will hopefully come on for his next championship game.

O'Gara did better than I thought he would (I don't particulalry rate him). Got a point, made a goal. KevMac tried hard but it didnt really come off for him. Nolan and Henry did reasonably well, certainly enough to justify the decision to select them.

I was also happy with the substitutions made and the score of 1-21. Plenty of things to be less happy with, but I'll let others cover that!

And sure, if getting the win is annoying the odd bitter Laois and Cavanman , that has to be good. Hopefully the qualifier draw is more favourable than the last time we were in the qualifiers when we drew a very strong Armagh team.

I was hugely disappointed with Nolan Hound. There is no rhyme no reason to the non-selection of Cahill. None. He is better on one leg then 90% of the dublin panel. We have to keep going back to players who people are so anxious to get rid of because the replacements haven't got it. I was unbelievably disappointed in Tipp.

Heard all the talk of them being a coming team. Jaysus I'd hate to see them playing badly then so. Austin looks very good and the number 7 was excellent. Sweeney in the corner has a lovely left foot and is a much better player then Grogan who bar the goal and frees did little else. Couldn't get over how weak they were in taking the ball past people.

How in Gods creation Hound can you be happy with the selection when the bench contains far superior footballers then those on the park. Its maddenning at this stage. If we picked our best team we'd at least be competitive. But without it we are vunerable against almost anyone.

It was a timely reminder as to where Dublin would be without the Brogans. Probably where Tipp are
Have you seen Cahill play this year? He's been muck full stop and deserved to be dropped. It would have been bad management to accept his bad performances and just hope he'd improve because he won an All Star a few years ago. As you know as well as anyone Nolan was a super underage footballer  and supposedly was flying in training, therefore deserved his start. What I'd really like is for Cahill to take his kick up the arse, to really put it in at training and to get the nod for next week, and for normal service to resume.

That Austin chap had some pace. If his nickname isnt Steve, then it should be!

INDIANA

Quote from: Hound on July 11, 2010, 01:47:13 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 11, 2010, 11:16:17 AM

Have you seen Cahill play this year? He's been muck full stop and deserved to be dropped. It would have been bad management to accept his bad performances and just hope he'd improve because he won an All Star a few years ago. As you know as well as anyone Nolan was a super underage footballer  and supposedly was flying in training, therefore deserved his start. What I'd really like is for Cahill to take his kick up the arse, to really put it in at training and to get the nod for next week, and for normal service to resume.

That Austin chap had some pace. If his nickname isnt Steve, then it should be!
And he didn't take it Hound. If you can't play well against Tipp -goodnight. You'd have to be a member of the selection committe to justify in your own head that he's better then Cahill. Because he isn't. They don't hand all-stars out as booby prizes at the bar in Coppers.

heffo

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 10, 2010, 06:37:28 PM
Dublin "fans" on Hill 16 being as respectful as always to the opposition free takers

I can't believe the nasty Meath & Louth 'fans' booing the opposition free takers today - your poor sensibilities must've been terribly affected?

Hound

Quote from: INDIANA on July 11, 2010, 02:27:54 PM
And he didn't take it Hound. If you can't play well against Tipp -goodnight. You'd have to be a member of the selection committe to justify in your own head that he's better then Cahill. Because he isn't. They don't hand all-stars out as booby prizes at the bar in Coppers.
Nobody's saying he's better than Cahill. But Nolan was the right choice for the Tipp match as Cahill has been poor this season. The management knew that Tipp were in and around the same level as Laois, so it should be handy if we play anyway reasonable. It was the ideal game to give a young lad a chance and an experienced campaigner a kick up the rear.

Canalman

Going against the herd here, but I saw some positives in CP yesterday.

Thought Nolan. McAuley,McConnell (from a low base), Fitzsimons, O'Carroll (slip aside) all did well. 2 Brogans played well as did O'Gara. We even kicked a 45.

For a transition year we are imo doing alright which hopefully will translate into a good 2011. Don't forget O'Carroll#2 and O'Sullivan will come back to strengthen the team.

Very surreal atmosphere at game yesterday.