Munster SHC Final

Started by lilpaulie85, July 04, 2010, 05:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Quote from: cicfada on July 07, 2010, 10:21:32 PM
Structures are being put in place Reillers. I can tell you that a pilot scheme is in place in the Blarney area wrt local primary schools, it's working very well  and the schools  of excellence and academies are up and running! These things take time and it will be  a while before Cork  start competing again at minor and u21 levels. You can't keep saying that the co board keep picking selectors with a view to losing matches  f**ks sake if they won tonight, there wouldn't be a word about the co board. Change the record, things  are changing in Cork  albeit it a bit later than other counties!!

A place without a ball alley. Says it all really.

We have the players at underage level, and I've no doubt that 4 or 5 will be playing senior, had high hopes for this minor team, but as per usual we do the hard thing and fall over ourselves. We keep getting selectors who make the wrong decisions, we could all see what was wrong from the last game but the same mistakes were made.
It's the same story we come to at the end of each year.

We're all getting sick and tired of it at this stage, but not, apparently, the people with the power to make the change.

cicfada

"A place without a ball alley. Says it all really. "

So this is your stunning response Reillers??  If I ever wanted to know what a chancer you are, then that statement above proves it!! Blarney doesn't have a ball alley  and that disproves everything I say??  As if every Club had to have a ball alley, we in Blarney have a thing called a Hurling wall, google it, you might learn something!! You are obviously are not involved  with coaching  at Club level otherwise you would know of the developments that I refer to  in my own post! I will make it easy for you, click on this link and educate yourself!

http://www.corkgaagamesdevelopment.ie/news/details/blarney-launch-club-school-link

By the way it's one of your precious county  hurlers running that programme!! ;)

As for the Minor selectors, every county has politics wrt  selectors at minor level, if I had a Euro for every complaint I had heard about such a young fella being picked and another not being picked cos he's from such a  place I'd be a rich man today! With the improvement being made by De La Salle's school in the Harty and All Ireland series most observant people would have known that the Waterford minors would be good these days in any case.  Cork will be back again as an underage force but it will take time and  the steps are being put  in place!! Believe me it's a lot worse being from a county which has had underage success but can't translate that into senior success!

Reillers

I know full well what's there thank you very much. But the points not the lack of facilities it's the lack of coaches. They can buildall the centres of excellence..without a ball alley, which is ridiculous, but they are lacking in the most important areas. At the end of theday it's pointless having a car if you can't drive it. A lot of things have been done which is a step in the right direction but the main problems are still not being addressed.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on July 07, 2010, 10:30:19 PM
Quote from: cicfada on July 07, 2010, 10:21:32 PM
Structures are being put in place Reillers. I can tell you that a pilot scheme is in place in the Blarney area wrt local primary schools, it's working very well  and the schools  of excellence and academies are up and running! These things take time and it will be  a while before Cork  start competing again at minor and u21 levels. You can't keep saying that the co board keep picking selectors with a view to losing matches  f**ks sake if they won tonight, there wouldn't be a word about the co board. Change the record, things  are changing in Cork  albeit it a bit later than other counties!!

A place without a ball alley. Says it all really.

We have the players at underage level, and I've no doubt that 4 or 5 will be playing senior, had high hopes for this minor team, but as per usual we do the hard thing and fall over ourselves. We keep getting selectors who make the wrong decisions, we could all see what was wrong from the last game but the same mistakes were made.
It's the same story we come to at the end of each year.

We're all getting sick and tired of it at this stage, but not, apparently, the people with the power to make the change.

Uninformed and full of shi* as per usual Reillers.

Ungracious comments regarding a good Waterford side.

As usual any team who beats any Cork team, won not because they were the better team, but because Frank Murphy deliberately wanted them to lose.

cicfada

Quote from: Reillers on July 08, 2010, 08:30:26 AM
I know full well what's there thank you very much. But the points not the lack of facilities it's the lack of coaches. They can buildall the centres of excellence..without a ball alley, which is ridiculous, but they are lacking in the most important areas. At the end of theday it's pointless having a car if you can't drive it. A lot of things have been done which is a step in the right direction but the main problems are still not being addressed.

So what are the main problems in your view then? I mean 5 games development officers are now in place. I think they would need 5 per division myself  but it's a start at least. 3 of them are co hurlers and  a footballer as well! Did you read the strategic review that was launched? that gives a roadmap to what  changes will be made!! THings won't happen overnight, it's a huge county with massive logisitical challenges that no other county has so that has to be borne in mind!! I think there have been big steps taken in Cork from what I can see in my local area. Schools would be my  area of interest anyway as I sit on the board of management of my lads school and I can observe what happnes there. Believe me it's the starting block of any underage GAA games development strategy. Anyway I have to get ready for teh local Cul Camp, 172 kids won't train themselves you know!!

heffo

But the points not the lack of facilities it's the lack of coaches. They can buildall the centres of excellence..but they are lacking in the most important areas. At the end of theday it's pointless having a car if you can't drive it.

That's a scurrilous thing to say about Martin Coleman - a hard working GDA who is a tireless servant to Cork too - remember 2008?

For shame Reillers....for shame...

johnneycool

Quote from: cicfada on July 08, 2010, 08:52:19 AM

. Anyway I have to get ready for teh local Cul Camp, 172 kids won't train themselves you know!!

Sweet mother of god, they're putting you in front of children.

Favourite position; Hells kitchen, corner back.

;)

Reillers

Quote from: cicfada on July 08, 2010, 08:52:19 AM

So what are the main problems in your view then? I mean 5 games development officers are now in place. I think they would need 5 per division myself  but it's a start at least. 3 of them are co hurlers and  a footballer as well! Did you read the strategic review that was launched? that gives a roadmap to what  changes will be made!! THings won't happen overnight, it's a huge county with massive logisitical challenges that no other county has so that has to be borne in mind!! I think there have been big steps taken in Cork from what I can see in my local area. Schools would be my  area of interest anyway as I sit on the board of management of my lads school and I can observe what happnes there. Believe me it's the starting block of any underage GAA games development strategy. Anyway I have to get ready for teh local Cul Camp, 172 kids won't train themselves you know!!

There's a decent old crowd down for the CUL camps which is great, I know someone down in Cobh, they started a junior camogie team there a few weeks ago and they had numbers in the 30s/40s which is great, she says their CUL camp is packed which is great to see from such, what would be considered a weak hurling part of the county, and that's what you want to hear.

But when you say what are the probelms, it's the fact that the players aren't getting coached well enough.

I could say that the problems with the minor team and the U21 teams are different to the younger ones, but it's all the core of the same issue.
The one thing I'd say about the minor teams, is that it is very hard to get them to close off a match, now we should have done it the first time round but we switched off and let Waterford come back into it, we'd a bit of bad luck, but we didn't close out the game, and you would have hoped that that would have been a problem they'd addressed. It doesn't look like it was. And that these slow starts and finishes will kill the confidence of the Cork young lads, they put in a mighty comeback which showed confidence, which is breed into ya in Cork, it's what we know, but if they keep having these slow starts and finishes it's very hard not to have your confidence knocked.

I'd be very slow to be hard on the minor players, indivdually we've players with a lot of talent, but fail to click as a team at times. But it is a grade that really needs to be coached, and obviously problems stand in the way, problems that can't be helped, things like study and such, that's something every county has to be dealt with, and even success at underage level does not guarantee they will succeed at senior level, Galway being a prime example.

Unfortunately minor is a grade where it's very hard to get consistency from game to game. If the same two teams lined up again today we could well play brilliantly, put in a performance like we did against Tipp, a performance that this team is capable of, and beat them easily, again that's something that you face with most counties.
But the problem is that they are not being managed and developed well enough. I'd be slow to say that Considine is a yes man for the CCB, because he's not really, he's liked by the executive it seems, but what happened last night was disturbingly like what happened in the Clare U21 game where we did the exact same thing a few years ago, we were expected to go out and win handy and we, without much of an explanation, self imploded. And he was manager that night as well. It's a bit disheartening, that despite performances that coaches turn in the same faces constantly get positions, and it's infuriating.

Our problem there also is our defenders in Cork, our 8-15 is a very talented team, but we struggle for defenders, which might have something to do with the reffing in Cork, there's little physicallity in defenders, any bit of tight, tough marking and its a free and I'm sure if you saw the statistics you'd see that a lot of points scored in Cork are from frees, more than you'd normally see, say in Kilkenny.

If we look at the underage structure as a whole, while 5 is better than zero, I'll give ya that. 5 for Cork, in every way, is just ridiculous. It's a start, but where the hell do you start with 5, with the size of the county?

Why is it we are 100 years behind every other county, who have been taking the underage level as seriously as we should be.
Really 5 like, it's no where near enough, and we both know it, not for a county the size of Cork. There have been improvements I'll give ya that, but no amount of facilities or plans will help you if we don't have the numbers to coach.

There are always plans in Cork..that's for sure. But if we want to move on, we need to add more than 5. This number should be increased each year for the foreseeable future. I mean, and I'm sure Indy will correct me if I'm wrong, but word is that Dublin have 50 development officers. It's outrageous. Yes we are slowly catching up to this century which is a postive thing from the CCB, but why is it that we are always 100 years behind the rest of the pack when it comes to moving forward.

The strategic review was great to see it there, and to see what changes will happen in the future, seeing as plans are laid down. But to be fair, we're still waiting 10 years later for PUC to be fixed up, like they said they would. I live in hope that things will improve, and yes it takes time, but I'll wait till we actually see something more than plans and ideas.

It'll be great if these changes are actually put into place and we see the product of it. But something also needs to be done NOW about the current minors and U21s, while in the bigger picture the coaching of the U12s is as important as the minors, that doesn't help the young lads now who are put out on to the pitch, who haven't been looked after well enough. Give them a decent chance to fight it out, we need a decent manager, an ex player maybe who the young lads will look up to, a decent trainer and selectors who aren't afraid to make the calls. Just to give the boys a chance.

Something needs to be do done now for them, now in 5 years time.

EddieMerx

Reillers you seem to be passionate about the game and seem to know the problems, why not get involved in the county board or get involved on the coaching side?

heffo

Quote from: EddieMerx on July 09, 2010, 12:31:52 PM
Reillers you seem to be passionate about the game and seem to know the problems, why not get involved in the county board or get involved on the coaching side?

Cmon Eddie - how could a real Hurling man like Reillers (who boycotted all Cork GAA fixtures during the latest strike - thereby showing he cares not about Cork GAA but about his heroes the strikers) work with the suits above in PUC?

theskull1

Does he now? Seems like your typical armchair critic looking and finding excuses for everything that is wrong.

Reillers last three post blamed
Firstly ..no ball alley at a centre of excellence ..unbelieveable like
Then when challenged.....it's was now the lack of coaches
Challenged again ......what he mean't was the standards of coaching aren't good enough

To quote the wise man himself "says it all really"

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

heffo

Quote from: theskull1 on July 09, 2010, 02:04:14 PM

Does he now? Seems like your typical armchair critic looking and finding excuses for everything that is wrong.

Reillers last three post blamed
Firstly ..no ball alley at a centre of excellence ..unbelieveable like
Then when challenged.....it's was now the lack of coaches
Challenged again ......what he mean't was the standards of coaching aren't good enough

To quote the wise man himself "says it all really"

He's not called 'Flip/flop Reillers' for nothing

seafoid

The Munster senior hurling final,  the sole reason the championship isn't open draw, the over my dead body symbol of permanence in a time when everything is changing. How long more does it have ? Best pronounced in a Limerick accent.

Reillers

Cork team for Sunday..

1. Donal Og Cusack
(Cloyne)

2. Shane O'Neill 3. Eoin Cadogan       4. Brian Murphy
   (Bishopstown)               (Douglas)               (Bride Rovers)

5. John Gardiner 6. Ronan Curran 7. Seán Óg Ó hAilpín
   (Na Piarsaigh)           (St. Finbarrs)           (Na Piarsaigh)

8. Tom Kenny 9. Cathal Naughton
                    (Grenagh)               (Newtownshandrum)

10. Ben O'Connor 11. Jerry O'Connor 12. Niall McCarthy
(Newtownshandrum)    (Newtownshandrum)     (Carrigtwohill)

13. Kieran Murphy 14. Aisake Ó hAilpín 15. Patrick Horgan
     (Sars - Capt)               (Na Piarsaigh)         (Glen Rovers)

16. Anthony Nash (Kantcurk)
17. Shane Murphy (Erins Own)
18. Eoin Dillon (Milford)
19. Conor O'Sullivan (Sarsfields)
20. Michael Walsh (Kildorrery)
21. Ray Ryan (Sarsfields)
22. William Egan (Kilbrin)
23. Graham Callanan (Glen Rovers)
24. Lorcan McLoughlin (Kanturk)
25. Martin Coleman (Ballinhassig)
26. Pa Cronin (Bishopstown)
27. Mark O Sullivan (Dripsey)
28. Michael Cussen (Sarsfields)
29. Paudie O Sullivan (Cloyne)
30. Tadhg Og Murphy (Sarsfields)

There's a chance Sully Og will line out instead of Fraggie because he's injured, but it will probably be as is.
Tried and trusted, just hopefully we wont read like an open book.

Lecale2

Eoin Kelly out due to foot injury. Waterford have no chance without him.