Holy Hour & Good Friday

Started by AbbeySider, April 02, 2010, 02:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

Go for it man! and do someone a good turn which means more. God told me. 

Bensars

Its because of  the amount of bacon sandwiches and burgers im trying to do a day of abstinence.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Lots of people in Castlebar play an hours football or soccer match during holy hour, its been a tradition here for years, better than going to watch some depressing play at Mass.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

tbrick18

What is the actual thinking behind not eating meat on Good Friday? I mean where did this idea come from?
I heard a story, dont know if its true, but it goes that at some point the fishermen of Italy/Rome were in financial ruin. So the Vatican decreed that every friday you had to eat fish and not meat to bolster the fishing industry. Could be a loada beezwax but just wondering what the real story is.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: tbrick18 on April 02, 2010, 03:57:42 PM
What is the actual thinking behind not eating meat on Good Friday? I mean where did this idea come from?
I heard a story, dont know if its true, but it goes that at some point the fishermen of Italy/Rome were in financial ruin. So the Vatican decreed that every friday you had to eat fish and not meat to bolster the fishing industry. Could be a loada beezwax but just wondering what the real story is.

I have heard similar stories, I think its fairly true.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

theskull1

Quote from: longrunsthefox on April 02, 2010, 03:29:34 PM
With the Israelis attacking Gaza again, the abuse of children and other injustices in the world, I'd say God really gives a f** if you eat  a burger Bensars  :o

GDA and Iceman's god would almost certainly give a f*&k. This stuff is important in the great scheme of things

Poached Salmon with Hollandaise Sauce anyone  :)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: theskull1 on April 02, 2010, 04:15:56 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on April 02, 2010, 03:29:34 PM
With the Israelis attacking Gaza again, the abuse of children and other injustices in the world, I'd say God really gives a f** if you eat  a burger Bensars  :o

GDA and Iceman's god would almost certainly give a f*&k. This stuff is important in the great scheme of things

Poached Salmon with Hollandaise Sauce anyone  :)

Actually I know alot of Catholics who do eat meat on Good Friday and Ash Wednesday, also know loads who don't.
Personally they are the only 2 days of the year when I do abstain from meat, not much of a sacrifice really, 2 out of 365.
Now we had fish every Friday from I was a child up til about 16, that was a sacrifice - I fecking hate fish!  ;)
Tbc....

T Fearon

Was that Donegal Catch GDA ;D

I abstain myself from meat produce on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

Still have memories of primary and grammar school when fish was always on the menu on Fridays.

The Iceman

the purpose of not eating meat and fasting is to help you to focus on God.  Kind of the point of the Lenten season in preparation for Easter and the Resurrection.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight