Becks Out of World Cup

Started by Dinny Breen, March 14, 2010, 10:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigfella

Quote from: Minder on March 14, 2010, 11:02:06 PM
I would feel a bit sorry for someone like Messi, Ronaldo or Kuyt if they had that type of injury and missed out on a World Cup whilst at the peak of their game. Beckham would have been no more than a seldom used cheerleader. No doubt we will have the required few days of mourning.

Kuyt at the peak of his game  :D  He has had one wonder season last year by his and most scouser's standard which he completely overachieved. A complete dungbag of the highest order and a joke to most dutch football fans. Don't make me laugh  ::)

Saying that I'd still feel sorry for him if he done the same as Beckham.

ONeill

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on March 14, 2010, 11:31:25 PM

People don't like to see a superstar publicise themselves thesedays and I understand that, but when it came to a battle in his sporting career beckham fronted up to anything that was thrown at him. His season after WC 98 was awesome, standing up to a Galaxy fan, getting back in the England fold, his form in his last season in Madrid. You cant help to feel sorry for the man no matter how many millions he has in the bank.

Bollocks. Absolute bollocks. Magnifies the warped sense of pity people have on this planet. Beckham has a gazillion times more (money/opportunities) than many could dream of in sizeable parts we oft hear about. Grab a bit of perspective ffs.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Asal Mor

It's a blessing for Capello and England alright, as was Michael Owen's injury. It will cut out the media frenzy about 2 guys who are no longer good enough at that level. The only real loss England have suffered so far is the injury to Ashley Cole.
I'd like to see England win it. I hope the Rooneys, Ronaldos and Messis are all fit - wouln't be much of a spectacle without them.

Doogie Browser

Can see the quotes now circa 1st July after last 16 or QF defeat  :D
'If Beckham was fit he would have come on for the last 15mins and made the difference with his crossing ability'

Their excuse for failure is ready.

JimStynes

If Rooney, Ronaldo and Messi can maintain there current form we are in for a great world cup. Feel sorry for Becks, always found him to be a likeable chap, he was one of the most overrated footballers ever though.

The Subbie

Injury or no injury i don't think he would have been going to the world cup, which would have led to a red top w**k fest.
No he is definitely, definitely not going and the red top w**k fest will commence, and keep lazy journos in copy for ohh maybe 10 days at the least

full back

Disappointing for Beckham and if Capello sticks by his word he wont be at the WC in any capacity.

Will be very difficult for Beckham to come back from this.

A global superstar in the world of soccer & an above average player

magpie seanie

Beckham is an easy target for abuse and a lot of it is brought on himself with the media love affair him and his advisors have cultivated. All in all though he's not a bad lad who has worked bloody hard to get where he is. The financial rewards he has accumulated are of course far too much for anyone. The English red tops totally overstate his abilities (good player, not a great players as Dunphy would say) and I can see how that turns stomachs.

There's no doubting he badly wanted to play at the World Cup and worked his ass off to achieve that. This injury has deprived him of that so I do feel a bit sorry for him. O'Neill rightly points out that others would be more deserving of pity so perspective is important. It won't be kept in certain quarters but that doesn't mean I can't feel some sympathy for the guy.

AZOffaly

I feel sorry for him. I don't think he's the worst lad in the world. It's a pity his career is probably over with this if he is out for 6 months. That's a tough injury to come back from.

His celebrity always overshot his ability, but he was a great deadball man, and a great crosser of the ball. He was never the world's best player, or anything like it, but he seemed to be a very good pro and was liked by his peers.

He had his own issues with women, which was a pity for his reputation, but he does seem (now) to be a good family man and a decent fella.

There's a lot worse than him around.

ziggysego

What's with the eulogy guys? He's not dead.
Testing Accessibility

thewobbler

Seeing as Beckham's absence will probably secure Walcott's place on the place, this is a double blow for England. Theo is one of the worst players in the Premiership.

full back

Quote from: ziggysego on March 15, 2010, 12:05:22 PM
What's with the eulogy guys? He's not dead.

Who said he was dead?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: ONeill on March 14, 2010, 11:02:54 PM
Improves Capello's chances. The Beckham shadow was always gonna harm the English.

would agree with that

but not the shadow, the fact that beckham contributes nothing to a team other than the potential to score from a free kick 30% of the time means that this is in fact good news for englands world cup bid

Puckoon

Quote from: ONeill on March 15, 2010, 12:11:48 AM
Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on March 14, 2010, 11:31:25 PM

People don't like to see a superstar publicise themselves thesedays and I understand that, but when it came to a battle in his sporting career beckham fronted up to anything that was thrown at him. His season after WC 98 was awesome, standing up to a Galaxy fan, getting back in the England fold, his form in his last season in Madrid. You cant help to feel sorry for the man no matter how many millions he has in the bank.

Bollocks. Absolute bollocks. Magnifies the warped sense of pity people have on this planet. Beckham has a gazillion times more (money/opportunities) than many could dream of in sizeable parts we oft hear about. Grab a bit of perspective ffs.

Jesus O'Neill within the sporting context - its not bollocks at all. He's done as much for England at the national team level than manys a less glamourous player for sure - but thats not his fault. He's had the sense to make his hay while the sun shone out of his arsehole, but you can bet no matter how loaded he is right now he'd be bitterly dissapointed at picking up an injury like this which ends his England career, especially a few months away from the world cup.

Its not as though his injury is being compared to world peace or starving children!

Personally Im dissapointed, always enjoyed watching him - and regardless of good or bad days his couple season in the MLS here his work rate has been second to none, which might light a few fires under the arses of boys he was playing with. As AZ said - a great and well respected pro - if overhyped a little.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: JimStynes on March 15, 2010, 11:24:29 AM
If Rooney, Ronaldo and Messi can maintain there current form we are in for a great world cup. Feel sorry for Becks, always found him to be a likeable chap, he was one of the most overrated footballers ever though.
You forgot Kuyt.