Freemans
Scullys

ziggysego

Actually yeah, I was a the drink.
Testing Accessibility

Medic

big jim's article.....

QuoteIsn't that Jim from Neighbours?

Leaving the Aussie soap turned out to be the best thing Alan Dale ever did – the actor has since had starring roles in every hit US TV show from ER to 24 and Ugly Betty. By Alice Grebot.

You only need to spend five minutes in the company of Alan Dale before you realise that he still turns heads, followed quickly by, 'Look, it's Jim from Neighbours.' Despite leaving Ramsay Street more than 15 years ago and starring in several hit TV shows, he is still best remembered for his role as Jim Robinson in the hit Australian soap. 'It's just part of the job,' he says, shrugging resignedly. 'I understand why people loved the character; he was a sweet guy. I've given up trying to shake it off.'

However, Dale's time on the show was far from happy. Behind the scenes, he fought with the producers, Grundy, who made millions from the show's popularity overseas. 'My experience with the people making it wasn't good,' he says. 'The producers were greedy and nasty. They mistreated us terribly and paid us badly, and they pulled all sorts of stunts.'

Some of the 'stunts' involved Grundy producing magazines and cards using images of the cast without any payment going to the actors. 'I had to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars to make a Neighbours magazine myself, so that I, and the other actors, would make some money from our faces being used.' Dale left 'on bad terms' in 1993. 'By the time I'd been in the show eight-and-a-half years, the producers were sick of me and I was sick of them, so it ended.'

He made a living doing voiceovers and taking bit parts before heading off to the US in 1999. 'I thought, "If you sit at home with the door shut, nothing will happen."'. And it's been everything he's hoped for, starring in such shows as ER, The X Files, The West Wing, 24, The OC, Lost, and, most recently, as the publishing mogul Bradford Meade in Ugly Betty. 'I love playing the baddie. People are always fascinated by the bad guy; they treat you with more respect. You'd never get people calling out Bradford's name at you in the street, because they know he would rip their throats out.'

Now that he's conquered the US, is he ready to kick back and throw a couple of shrimps on the proverbial barbie? 'I can't imagine my life without acting. What would I do? Die? It will happen one day, but there's no hurry.'

Midnight Man, ITV1, Thursdays at 9pm

[Boxouts]

Lost as Charles Widmore

People are always asking me what the secret is behind Lost – especially as my character seems to be pulling all the strings. But I know about as much as anyone else. When I did my first scene I had no idea about the character, and then I didn't see it when it was aired. Next thing I know, my publicist is screaming down the phone, 'You're the man behind it all; you're the one behind the island!'

24 as Vice President Jim Prescott

The producers of 24 told me I should nominate myself for an Emmy award. I didn't realise, but that's how it works – people nominate themselves for the awards! So, one day, I was sitting in my trailer and they gave me the forms and told me to do it. I didn't, because it cost something like £125 and I didn't really have the extra money – but I've had lots of praise and acclaim for my role.

Ugly Betty as Bradford Meade

Ugly Betty started as a drama with humour, but now it's just an hour-long comedy. But the success of the show starts with Betty – everyone sort of zooms around her – and America (Ferrara) plays her beautifully. For me, the show got a bit tiresome – there wasn't much for me to do. I was working two days a fortnight. If I was retiring that might have been okay – they did me a favour writing me out.

Midnight Man as Donald Hagan

Midnight Man is a new ITV thriller. It tells the story of a former journalist (James Nesbitt) whose life is torn apart when he stumbles upon a terrifying conspiracy. I play Donald Hagan, the ex-American Defence Secretary and chairman of a US private equity corporation. He's a bit of an evil fellow. He's a George Bush acolyte and definitely on the bad side of things. I've admired James Nesbitt for years, so I didn't even bother reading the script; I said yes to the part straight away.

The OC as Caleb Nichol

This is the role I liked best. Caleb was an evil b***er, but he also had his funny side. My manager told me that I'd been written out of the show. No one came and said, 'Alan, we're sorry.' The only discussion I had was when I got the script. I was told, 'You're going to have a heart attack and drown in the pool.' They asked me to take my clothes off for the scene, but I refused. What were they going to do? Fire me?

good to see he's done ever so well since leaving the street
All Things Dr. Karl Raymond Marx Kennedy  - https://allthingsdockarlkennedy-blog.tumblr.com/

Our Nail Loney

Jim Robinson is a f**king legend!!

8)

ziggysego

Did you know that Alan provides the narration in Pushing Daisies as well.
Testing Accessibility

Medic

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on May 18, 2008, 07:40:27 PM
Jim Robinson is a f**king legend!!

8)
i concur.  it was said that big jim was a bit of a player who could pull a string of pretty young things.....

(quote....The old boy was still in very respectable form in 1992/1993, thrashing Benito in a series of contests. There was also that glorious scene where he gave Lou advice on his relationship with Annalise. Big Jim suggested she was a bit young for Louis, before the latter pointed out that Big Jim had a long list of young conquests himself. Big Jim looks at Lou and says, 'Fair point...[but I'm Big Jim Robinson and you are not...'quote)

QuoteDid you know that Alan provides the narration in Pushing Daisies as well.

apparantly, he's also playing the role of general ross in the upcoming indiana jones movie with harrison ford and ray winstone. how amazing!

i need to watch some old classic neighbours. some 1985 or 87 could be good fun
All Things Dr. Karl Raymond Marx Kennedy  - https://allthingsdockarlkennedy-blog.tumblr.com/

JimStynes

Mrs Mangle - Ziggys secret shame  ;)

Big Jim certainly is one of the biggest success stories from the street. He even has the honour of being the man named at full back on the neighbours dream team that a few of us where discussing a few weeks back. i have listed the initial team selections again for those of you who didnt see it. The full discussion is about 7 pages back i think.

Management team:- Lou and Harold - They have not got the legs for this team anymore but with the years of experience they have around the street they must surely be given the chance to run the team.

Paul Robinson - with the bad leg he wont be able to start. Dont know what to do with him, he cant really manage the team because he wouldnt get the respect of the players. But then again Lou & Harold are 2 gentlemen and might let to many boys run about and do there own thing.??

1. Toadie - Not the most mobile but f**k he would have some kick out on him. Hitting the half forwards and midfield with every kick.
2. Riley - Honest defender. Would do what hes told and no more. Just like any good corner back should.
3. Constable Steiger - No nonsense full back. Dont get in this mans road.
4. Marco - Sneaky sly wee bastard but would be a tight marker. The Ryan McMenamin of the team
6. Oliver Barnes - He strong and fit. Just a question mark over his size. May need to go out to the wing. But he would put his head where others wouldnt put there feet.
7. Declan - Young but strong. I think hes ready to play half back. Up and down the field all day, a half forwards nightmare. No reason why he cant get the odd score aswell.
8. Dan Fitzgerald aka Fitzy - Will have to do all the running in midfield but should be no problem to him. I would expect at least 2 points every match from this man.
9. Steve Parker - Fitness could be this mans problem and he might have to switch with Ned every now and again. But he'll catch the ball and give it off or send it in himself to Ned. Thats his job done. Just play in between the 2 50's.
10. Frazer - Gives us a bit of height for Toadie to aim his kick outs. Also looks fit enough to get up and down the park and also big enough to mix it up around the breaking balls.
11. Doctor Karl Kennedy (Captain) - The maestro. Might not have the legs anymore but he would win breaking ball all day and would spray passes all over the park. He would hit the frees and fifty's. Everything would come through this man.
12. Ringo - Another young fella but with his fitness he could play a Dooher sort of role. Up and down the park all day, winning breaking ball and also coming off Ned's shoulder to get the odd score aswell.
14. Ned Parker (Vice Captain) - He would be some full forward. The Kieran Donaghy of the team. Might have to come out to the middle of the field the odd time.
15. Zeke - If he stays close to Ned and feeds of the breaks then he'l do a job. If your good enough your old enough.

We have a half back and corner forward spot to fill. Any ideas. Dont think we can count Boyd as he's moved to Tasmania or somewhere.

Now for the Dream Team:- I am actually leaning towards the same management team of Lou and Harold.
1. Toadie - Picked for his kickout
2. Paul Robinson - In his prime he would have been a tight marking corner back.
3. Jim Robinson - The rock at the back
4. Dylan Timmons - Worried about the amount of frees he would give away close to goal.
5. Boyd Hoyland - Fit and strong. Them wieghts that he was doing will stand to him now.
6. Joe Mangel - Can read the game better than anyone.
7. Darcy Tyler - Dirty bastard and a bit of nut case but will win breaking ball all day.
8. Drew Kirk R.I.P (Vice Captain) - The legend. Not a dirty player but hard on the ball. Complete tank.
9. Doctor Karl Kennedy (Captain) - Nothing needs to be said about this man. One of the top players in Erinsborough history.
10. Scott Robinson - Another legend of the street in his day. Hard working half forward
11. Paul McClain - What a talent to have at your disposal. The best player from Erinsborough ever. Free taker, penalty taker, etc
12. Conor O'Neill - The irish man would need to be getting a few scores. Not the most mobile but can judge the break of the ball better than the aussies. Vital for winning ball and getting it into the full forward line.
13. Mal Kennedy - If hes half as good as the aul fella he will be doing alrite. Plenty of scores from this man
14. Ned Parker - Great target man. Can win the ball over his head or coming in low to him. Doesnt matter just put it in to him.
15. Stu Parker - Stu should get plenty of scores with the brothers help. Deadly finisher.

Subs:
Billy Kennedy
Joe Scully
Jack Scully
Stingray - unlucky not to get a start
Max Hoyland
Stonefish
Doug Willis
Declan
Zeke
Steve Parker
Constable Steiger - Will be needed at some stage in a game
Riley
Lance - Wouldnt have him anywhere near the team. wouldnt go for a 50/50 all day.

Bouncer - Team mascot

The dream teams midfield is unreal and plenty of scores coming from that full forward line. Defense could give away frees and maybe a few sendings off a season – Darcy and Dylan in particular will need to be closely watched.
What a squad. Feel free to make changes to both teams.

Rav67

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 18, 2008, 12:18:25 AM
I got a lapdance in Prague once off a dead ringer of Flick..Angel was her name nice girl she was too..

The actress who played Flick was in Prison Break as a lapdancer from (I think) Prague, perhaps it was her researching the role  :D

T O Hare

This week will be interesting, this wedding is looking to be a disaster, a lovely touch by Harold today!!! Robbo is turning bad again(thank God), he will nail Kirsten soon and fair play to him!!!
Spare a thought for Susan , its killing me watching her!!!!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

hitzelsperger

cant watch susan suufer lads...brings a tear to the eye!

Drew Kirk R.I.P

Estimator

Quote from: ziggysego on May 18, 2008, 07:41:22 PM
Did you know that Alan provides the narration in Pushing Daisies as well.

After reading this I actually watched an episode of Pushing Daises, I didn't think the narrator sounded anything like Alan Dale!  After a quick check on IMDB, its actually a guy callled Jim Dale who narrates the show.  Ziggy, were you getting mixed up between his characters name in Neighbours (Jim Robinson) and his real name (Alan Dale)?
Ulster League Champions 2009

Rav67

Loved Fitzy lying on the couch in his boxers and vest today at no.30 having a beer with Toadie's da Kev with everyone else getting ready for the wedding.  Great bloke, can't wait till he gets it together with Libby he's just what she needs.

As for the way Paul is discovering his old self again  :D.  Genius.  That doll Kirsten is asolutely gagging for it and she's gonna get it before long no doubt!

ziggysego

There's a blur line between reality and Ramsey Street with me  :D
Testing Accessibility

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Rav67 on May 19, 2008, 07:26:31 AM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 18, 2008, 12:18:25 AM
I got a lapdance in Prague once off a dead ringer of Flick..Angel was her name nice girl she was too..

The actress who played Flick was in Prison Break as a lapdancer from (I think) Prague, perhaps it was her researching the role  :D

:o
You'll Never Walk Alone.

gawa316

I missed the 1st 10 mins today, anyone enlighten me?

Did steph come in or why did toadie tell her to sling her hook?

Rav67

Toadie read out his vows, then Steph went blank and forgot hers so she got the prompt card from Valda.  Then she still stumbled and said she needed a drink of water.  Everyone was looking around at each other and Toadie said "it's not just nerves is it, you don't wanna get married and we both know it."  Steph tried to say "no, I do want to get married, its ok I'll do it now" but Toad decided enough was enough and stormed off.