Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on September 30, 2009, 01:36:33 PM
Terry Pratchett - Discworld series
Terry Brooks - Shannara trilogy and others
Piers Anthony - Incarnations of Immorality series
Leon Uris - as mentioned
David Eddings - also as previously mentioned

There's also a series of books written about the SS Waffen on the Russian front - f**king brutally graphic, have the set (about 15 books!) at home in parents house, can't for the life of me remember the authors name

are these not weird as feck? and are there not loads of them, so where would ya start?

haranguerer

Quote from: Canalman on September 30, 2009, 01:48:45 PM
Sven Hassel I think GDA.

More of a non fiction reader myself these days but the 2 best novels I  have ever read are The Godfather and The Name of the Rose.

Irvine Welsh's books Filth and Trainspotting are also worth a read (Trainspotting is hard to read imo).
Thanks for the guides lads, will source some of these authors in the library.

Aye, liked some of his, but read a book of his short stories and they were absolutely mental - had to be off his head while writing it - one in particular was about a lad who turned into a fly somwhow, then flew home and watched while his oul pair engaged in kinky sex...wtf??!

nifan

Quote from: haranguerer on September 30, 2009, 01:56:53 PM
Aye, liked some of his, but read a book of his short stories and they were absolutely mental - had to be off his head while writing it - one in particular was about a lad who turned into a fly somwhow, then flew home and watched while his oul pair engaged in kinky sex...wtf??!

Aye the acid house was pretty mental. they made a film of it too....

omagh_gael

Quote from: Hound on September 30, 2009, 08:49:17 AM
Haven't read a Jonathon Kellerman in a while, but used to enjoy them. The Alex Delaware series is very good, though my favourite Kellerman book is The Butcher's Theatre.

Tom Clancy's books are great reads, if a tad pro-yank!

Yeah that was definately one of my favourites, certainly received an education on all things Jewish from it!

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: lurganblue on September 30, 2009, 01:52:56 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on September 30, 2009, 01:36:33 PM
Terry Pratchett - Discworld series
Terry Brooks - Shannara trilogy and others
Piers Anthony - Incarnations of Immorality series
Leon Uris - as mentioned
David Eddings - also as previously mentioned

There's also a series of books written about the SS Waffen on the Russian front - f**king brutally graphic, have the set (about 15 books!) at home in parents house, can't for the life of me remember the authors name

are these not weird as feck? and are there not loads of them, so where would ya start?

Actually really quite funny, normally find yourself reading them chuckling away to yourself (probably best not to be read on a train or bus! ;)), you could probably start anywhere, but to get the gist of the main characters I would start with The Colour of Magic or The Light Fantastic, or else Mort , Sourcery or Guards Guards.

Canalman Sven Hassel is the very man, fcuk they were serious books, read them as a teen (suppose that's what happened me!  :D ;)).

Tbc....

mc_grens

Teryy Pratchett is a very, very funny man.

Agree with some of what's been mentioned, don't agree with some, but Id like to add CJ Sansom, particularly if you enjoyed name of the rose. His Shardlake series is brilliant.

Eoghan Mag

Micheal Scott
Dean Koontz
Eoin Colfer

Agnes Dipesto

I would read a lot of crime novels and my favourite would be Karin Slaughter, Richard Montanari and Chris Mooney. Have read 'Stained Souls' by a local author Ferran O'Neill which is also very good.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: mc_grens on September 30, 2009, 05:27:09 PM
Terry Pratchett is a very, very funny man.

Agree with some of what's been mentioned, don't agree with some, but Id like to add CJ Sansom, particularly if you enjoyed name of the rose. His Shardlake series is brilliant.

Yep, love all the discworld books. Extremely funny, and each a stand alone book so ya can just pick any one up and read it.

Was a major fan of LOTR, and Pratchett was recommended to me, they're kids books but readable for adults, which I didn't find with Harry Potter - just too childish.

On the other end of the scale, Mario Puzo is a great storyteller, and each of his books catapults you right into Sicily, or that culture, be it in NY, or wherever...

Recently have enjoyed A Curious Story About The Dog In the Nighttime (mentioned above) and The Book Thief. The latter was a very good read, and really original.

Want to read The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (Have put off watching the film until I get round to it) and The Kite Runner.

Has anyone read Twilight series? Know a few girls who are crazy bout it. When I said I had never heard of it, they looked at me as if I had two heads!
Hasta la victoria siempre

A Quinn Martin Production

Enid Blyton...strictly speaking non-fiction as the Famous Five stories were true
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

5 Sams

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on September 30, 2009, 08:51:43 AM
Cormac McCarthy -some great stuff, the road &no country for old men

I'll second that.....powerful stuff....The Road is an unforgettable book.....there was word they were making it into a film...havent heard anything more to date though.
The Aristocrat Years

Celt_Man

Quote from: Puckoon on September 30, 2009, 12:03:42 AM
I can't get into dean koontz at all.

I quite like the Jack  reacher books by Lee Child. Reacher is quite the character, ex- military policeman turned drifter, and sure enough he has a way of finding someone who needs his help and laying a little smackdown.

Aye have to agree... Great read and always a very good plot which isn't very predictable but nor far fetched either...
I used to read all of Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan books when I was back in school.. have been planning to start at the beginning of the series and re-read them..
I had good time for Patricia Cornwell's books but not any more... her latest stuff is pure dung and the last book I read of yours was in the last3 weeks or so and is instantly forgettable... it read like a child's extended essay and had no beginning or end to it... very disappointing considering some of her earlier novels
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

delboy

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on September 30, 2009, 12:17:10 AM
Leon Uris - Exodus, Trinity etc.. not always easy to get hold of, but lots of second hand bookstores will have a copy or two lying round

+1

lurganblue

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on October 01, 2009, 12:04:00 AM
Quote from: mc_grens on September 30, 2009, 05:27:09 PM
Terry Pratchett is a very, very funny man.

Yep, love all the discworld books. Extremely funny, and each a stand alone book so ya can just pick any one up and read it.

Was a major fan of LOTR, and Pratchett was recommended to me, they're kids books but readable for adults, which I didn't find with Harry Potter - just too childish.

On the other end of the scale, Mario Puzo is a great storyteller, and each of his books catapults you right into Sicily, or that culture, be it in NY, or wherever...

Recently have enjoyed A Curious Story About The Dog In the Nighttime (mentioned above) and The Book Thief. The latter was a very good read, and really original.

Want to read The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (Have put off watching the film until I get round to it) and The Kite Runner.

Has anyone read Twilight series? Know a few girls who are crazy bout it. When I said I had never heard of it, they looked at me as if I had two heads!

very good book. film didnt do it justice IMO

haranguerer

The Kite Runner - heard a lot about it, but was a let-down.

Can only conclude it was a lot of bandwagoners who thought it fashionable to like it because its set in afghanistan...