Favourite Fiction Author

Started by omagh_gael, September 29, 2009, 11:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Haven't read a Jonathon Kellerman in a while, but used to enjoy them. The Alex Delaware series is very good, though my favourite Kellerman book is The Butcher's Theatre.

Tom Clancy's books are great reads, if a tad pro-yank!

blewuporstuffed

Cormac McCarthy -some great stuff, the road &no country for old men
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Declan on September 30, 2009, 07:45:07 AM
Currently - James Lee Burke
Agree - have read all the Dave Robicheaux stories.

Robert Crais - Elvis Cole stories
Ian Rankin - Rebus stories

Too many to mention from the olden days!

lurganblue

I tend to just pick up book every now and then but i do mostly read fiction.  Recently i've enjoyed a couple of the john grisham books and i've just finished the curious incident of the dog in the night-time wich i really enjoyed.

ever since reading Angels and Demons ive been hooked on Dan Brown so he must get my vote.

nifan

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 30, 2009, 08:46:55 AM
Henning Mankell (Swedish contemporary crime)

Dont usually read crime fiction, but I like what I saw of this guys wallander tv series.
Might give it a bash.

Billys Boots

Quote from: nifan on September 30, 2009, 09:11:24 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on September 30, 2009, 08:46:55 AM
Henning Mankell (Swedish contemporary crime)

Dont usually read crime fiction, but I like what I saw of this guys wallander tv series.
Might give it a bash.

Really, really good - very different to UK/US crime fiction, introspective and grumpy (will suit you down to the ground  ;)).  Start with Faceless Killers. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

BerfArmagh

check out an irish author called John Connolly, he writes crime thrillers which have a supernatural twist, absolutely excellent

vav

Harlen Coben
Michael Connelly
John Francombe

Fay Kellerman's not bad either if her characters didn't have 4 names each. Its hard to keep track who's who at times, cos they have their English name, their Jewish name, their English nickname, their Jewish nickname (Like Samuel, Sam, Schmuli, Sammy) :-\

Harold Disgracey

Currently
Boris Akunin
Christopher Brookmyre
Andrea Camilleri

haranguerer

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on September 30, 2009, 12:17:10 AM
Leon Uris - Exodus, Trinity etc.. not always easy to get hold of, but lots of second hand bookstores will have a copy or two lying round
Ludlum
Clancy - the Jack Ryan novels are excellent
Grisham - used to love these books, have read all (i think) except his latest one.

Used to like Patricia Cornwell's Dr Kay Scarpetta novels, but they all get a bit same-ish

Brilliant, read them through school
Also love David Eddings (mainly the Belgariad, not so much the others) & Tolkien, and - although I'm sure I'll be sneered at for this - JK Rowling!

Find Grisham, Brown and a lot of the others mentioned very samey, the ones above stand out for me

Mayo4Sam

Have always been a big fan of Nick Hornby, in particular high fidelity. In more recent years picked up Neil Gaiman, wouldn't be a sci fi buff but his books are brilliant.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

GalwayBayBoy

Billys Boots

QuoteAndrea Camilleri

Yes Harold, spot on.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Terry Pratchett - Discworld series
Terry Brooks - Shannara trilogy and others
Piers Anthony - Incarnations of Immorality series
Leon Uris - as mentioned
David Eddings - also as previously mentioned

There's also a series of books written about the SS Waffen on the Russian front - f**king brutally graphic, have the set (about 15 books!) at home in parents house, can't for the life of me remember the authors name
Tbc....

Canalman

Sven Hassel I think GDA.

More of a non fiction reader myself these days but the 2 best novels I  have ever read are The Godfather and The Name of the Rose.

Irvine Welsh's books Filth and Trainspotting are also worth a read (Trainspotting is hard to read imo).

Thanks for the guides lads, will source some of these authors in the library.