Mountbatten memorial sparks row in Donegal

Started by Minder, August 27, 2009, 01:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 27, 2009, 03:14:34 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on August 27, 2009, 03:05:17 PM
Quote from: Minder on August 27, 2009, 01:27:56 PM
Sinn Féin have said they oppose the monument because it would be wrong to single out any one incident.
So SF have never supported memorials to any Republican who died in a "single incident", then?
http://www.anphoblacht.com/news/detail/28361

Bitter, hypocritical c***ts.  >:(

Contrast that with the reaction of some of the legitimate targets innocent victims who perished in the atrocity, such as the father of Paul Maxwell (the 15 year old Irish boy holidaying locally who was invited by Mountbatten to help out on the boat). The vermin who murdered his son undoubtedly knew that he was on Board, yet still went ahead. Meanwhile, his bereaved father has dedicated himself to fostering peace and reconciliation in Ireland, including being a major force behind an integrated school in Enniskillen.

Or consider the humanity of Timothy Knatchbull, the 14 year old who was seriously injured along with his parents, in an explosion which robbed him of his identical twin brother, two Grandparents and his friend Paul:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article6806272.ece

It is little wonder that the Shinners are desperate not to be reminded of this atrocity, since deep down they know that not even they can justify the utter barbarism which they deliberately inflicted on entirely innocent human beings.

I think you will find that it was the IRA that did this, dont think that sf were even around at that time - though could be wrong..

terrible that people were killed, however unless the memorial is a small and financially cheap plaque or somthing, it is a bit much to be shelling out dosh for that when the country's coffers are empty !

I actually agree, Lynchboy, bad timing for this kind of thing, purely on financial terms at present. Nice idea, but we broke.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Sinn Féin have said they oppose the monument because it would be wrong to single out any one incident.
So SF have never supported memorials to any Republican who died in a "single incident", then?

Contrast that with the reaction of some of the legitimate targets innocent victims who perished in the atrocity, such as the father of Paul Maxwell (the 15 year old Irish boy holidaying locally who was invited by Mountbatten to help out on the boat). The vermin who murdered his son undoubtedly knew that he was on Board, yet still went ahead. Meanwhile, his bereaved father has dedicated himself to fostering peace and reconciliation in Ireland, including being a major force behind an integrated school in Enniskillen.

Or consider the humanity of Timothy Knatchbull, the 14 year old who was seriously injured along with his parents, in an explosion which robbed him of his identical twin brother, two Grandparents and his friend Paul:

It is little wonder that the Shinners are desperate not to be reminded of this atrocity, since deep down they know that not even they can justify the utter barbarism which they deliberately inflicted on entirely innocent human beings.

They are objecting to the council erecting a monument (and rightly so) I think you'll find.
As for the rest of your rant - well!  ::)
Tbc....

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on August 27, 2009, 03:18:18 PM

They are objecting to the council erecting a monument (and rightly so) I think you'll find.
'equalising', 'digressing' and 'tangents' are the words I think you are looking for
maybe an 'as usual' too !
yer welcome !
:D

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on August 27, 2009, 03:18:18 PM

As opposed to in Castlebar they where objecting to moving a monument to Ernie O'Malley to a location that it would not be vadalised by secondary school students so as to save council money, council wants to move it to a lovely location by the lake, but the Shinners kicking up a shitstorm, bloody hell its safer at the lake than on the Mall, council spends loads to upkeep it at its present location. I actually a fan of Ernie O'Malley & my town thats why I want to see it safe. They willing to spend extra money to keep it in its present location.

Donnellys Hollow

There was a good documentary on RTÉ recently. Documents released by the National Archives of correspondance between Mountbatten and an Irish diplomat revealed that Mountbatten was actually in favour of Irish reunification.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1053790
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 27, 2009, 03:38:25 PM
There was a good documentary on RTÉ recently. Documents released by the National Archives of correspondance between Mountbatten and an Irish diplomat revealed that Mountbatten was actually in favour of Irish reunification.

Probably fancied his chances as King of Ireland

Donagh

Quote from: Son_of_Sam on August 27, 2009, 03:24:42 PM
As opposed to in Castlebar they where objecting to moving a monument to Ernie O'Malley to a location that it would not be vadalised by secondary school students so as to save council money, council wants to move it to a lovely location by the lake, but the Shinners kicking up a shitstorm, bloody hell its safer at the lake than on the Mall, council spends loads to upkeep it at its present location. I actually a fan of Ernie O'Malley & my town thats why I want to see it safe. They willing to spend extra money to keep it in its present location.

Mustn't take much to kick up a shit storm in Castlebar then as the last I remember there was only 1 SF member on the town council and yiz victimised him to the extent that he had to resign or lose his job. Would it not also be betraying the wishes of the person that donated the statue (O'Malley's widow) to move it somewhere else? If you are such a big fan of Ernie O'Malley maybe you should be asking what happened his art collection and why it never ended up in a museum in Castlebar as he wanted.

Evil Genius

Yeah, but he was still a Brit, so that makes him "fair game". Along with teenaged boys and pensioners...
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 27, 2009, 03:14:34 PM

I think you will find that it was the IRA that did this, dont think that sf were even around at that time - though could be wrong..
Ah right. And there was me thinking that there might be some sort of connection between Sinn Fein and the Provos.

Silly me.  ::)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

orangeman

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 27, 2009, 03:46:14 PM

Yeah, but he was still a Brit, so that makes him "fair game". Along with teenaged boys and pensioners...

Is that why the Brits always liked to build beside schools ?

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: Donagh on August 27, 2009, 03:40:57 PM
Quote from: Son_of_Sam on August 27, 2009, 03:24:42 PM

Mustn't take much to kick up a shit storm in Castlebar then as the last I remember there was only 1 SF member on the town council and yiz victimised him to the extent that he had to resign or lose his job. Would it not also be betraying the wishes of the person that donated the statue (O'Malley's widow) to move it somewhere else? If you are such a big fan of Ernie O'Malley maybe you should be asking what happened his art collection and why it never ended up in a museum in Castlebar as he wanted.

A Noel, I always wondered how such a nice lad could get caught up with such people as Sinn Fein.

Just for your info.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5880&Itemid=38

gerry

Heard a debate about this today on highland radio and going about the amount of calls into the station i cannot see this starting. None of the callers objected to it going ahead but they though there were thousands of other things the money could be spent
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Evil Genius

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 27, 2009, 03:20:19 PM
'equalising', 'digressing' and 'tangents' are the words I think you are looking for
What comparable atrocity eg by "Loyalist" [sic] terrorists was I attempting to "equalise"?

How may a post about some of the victims of the atrocity be considered to be "digressing"?

By what measure is pointing out that SF are (hypocritically) happy to see memorials erected to other "single incidents" going off at a "tangent"?

You know, I am happy for you to repeat, parrot-fashion, your collection of catchphrases straight from the SF Lexicon. For I have little doubt that far from rebutting or refuting my posts, they serve instead only to remind people of the risible intellectual poverty of whatever point it is you are trying to make.  ::)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: gerry on August 27, 2009, 03:54:11 PM
Heard a debate about this today on highland radio and going about the amount of calls into the station i cannot see this starting. None of the callers objected to it going ahead but they though there were thousands of other things the money could be spent
If, in the present economic climate, people are concerned about spending public money on the Memorial, then that may be fair enough.

But I somehow doubt that that is SF's primary motive for opposing it.  ::)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

EG How are SF being hypocritical, these other monuments you talk of are put up by SF themselves or other organisations (NGA etc...), SF are saying it is not right that the council fund this monument, and I think they are 100% correct.
Tbc....