Hunger strike commemoration at a GAA ground

Started by Maguire01, August 19, 2009, 06:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dillinger

No you dont, they seem capable of attacking it anyway.
[/quote]

And they always will, but why give them a penelty kick at the GAA?

Maguire01

Quote from: Donagh on August 22, 2009, 01:19:22 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on August 22, 2009, 01:10:03 AM
Would a GAA club's public liability insurance cover such an event (being outside of the normal activities such a venue would normally be insured for)?

Furthermore, if it did, would it be appropriate to have to claim on it as the result of an incident occuring at such an event?

GAA grounds are hired out for community events every night of the week. Of course they're covered and of course it's appropriate.
Thanks for clearing that up - it was a genuine question.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: hardstation on August 22, 2009, 01:24:08 AM
Pints, didn't we read a few pages back that Martin Hurson was a member of Galbally GAA? Perhaps he wasn't exceptional enough?
Difference is a political party or whoever, not the GAA club organised this event.  If the club organised the event for a deceased member I wouldnt have a problem.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Maguire01

Pints, didn't we read a few pages back that Martin Hurson was a member of Galbally GAA? Perhaps he wasn't exceptional enough?
To be fair, many GAA members and players die and don't have clubs/grounds/commemorations in their honour on account of their contribution to the Association.
And this was clearly a political event, rather than commemorating someone's sporting achievements.

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 22, 2009, 01:21:50 AM
Quote from: hardstation on August 22, 2009, 01:18:14 AM
I didn't understand your post at all, pints. I am not talking about a 'do'. I'm talking about the club's name.
Oh right, I misunderstood, thought you meant the march thing they had last year.

From what I can gather the club is called after him as he was an exceptional hurler rather than for his political activities and death.  That's fair enough in my eyes.

QuoteSo we should listen to one bigot, as opposed to what the vast majority of the local nationalist community want?
The bigot only highlighted the interest, I couldnt give a shite about him, I said from the beginning of this thread I care about the GAA and it's members who may not like this.

Pints I stated earlier in this thread that im a member, either playing or otherwise for 40 years now. I have no
problem whatsoever with it. I agree some people may have, but to lambast Galbally GFC , the way some people have
is totally wrong in my opinion. And the way some have attempted to turn this into political points scoring is pathetic.
If you knew anything about the people of Galbally and the members of the club, you would realise that it they
didnt want something to happen, then it wouldnt, simple as that.
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

Maguire01

Quote from: hardstation on August 22, 2009, 01:30:57 AM
Now, pints and Maguire, I did ask you before I took my route if it was the "Sinn Fein" or the "Hunger Strike commemoration" that annoyed you.

How did you answer?

As follows...

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 22, 2009, 12:47:46 AM
Quote from: hardstation on August 22, 2009, 12:42:39 AM
Right, it appears that the problem is Sinn Fein and not the actual Hunger Strike commemoration.

Is this correct?

I have no problem with people commemorating the hunger strikers. I've already said this.
The issue is with the GAA being dragged into it. These commemorations can take place anywhere, so why bring them into a sporting arena?
You can see it here:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13467.msg625762#msg625762

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 22, 2009, 01:29:42 AM
To be fair, many GAA members and players die and don't have clubs/grounds/commemorations in their honour on account of their contribution to the Association.
And this was clearly a political event, rather than commemorating someone's sporting achievements.

how many f**king times does it have to be said. It was a hunger strike commemoration.  Were you there?

Maguire01

Quote from: 020304 Tir Eoghain on August 22, 2009, 01:31:32 AM
If you knew anything about the people of Galbally and the members of the club, you would realise that it they
How many times.....

a) Neither you nor I can speak for every member of that club, so we don't know that everyone wanted it to happen; and
b) The club is part of an Association. A such, the club members can't just do what they want, even if 100% of them agree.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 22, 2009, 01:21:50 AM
Quote from: hardstation on August 22, 2009, 01:18:14 AM
I didn't understand your post at all, pints. I am not talking about a 'do'. I'm talking about the club's name.
Oh right, I misunderstood, thought you meant the march thing they had last year.

From what I can gather the club is called after him as he was an exceptional hurler rather than for his political activities and death.  That's fair enough in my eyes.

QuoteSo we should listen to one bigot, as opposed to what the vast majority of the local nationalist community want?
The bigot only highlighted the interest, I couldnt give a shite about him, I said from the beginning of this thread I care about the GAA and it's members who may not like this.

Pints I stated earlier in this thread that im a member, either playing or otherwise for 40 years now. I have no
problem whatsoever with it. I agree some people may have, but to lambast Galbally GFC , the way some people have
is totally wrong in my opinion. And the way some have attempted to turn this into political points scoring is pathetic.
You may not have a problem with it but others may. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Maguire01

How many times.....

a) Neither you nor I can speak for every member of that club, so we don't know that everyone wanted it to happen; and
b) The club is part of an Association. A such, the club members can't just do what they want, even if 100% of them agree.

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 22, 2009, 01:37:52 AM
How many times.....

And thats where the Ulster Council come in.

Maguire01

Quote from: 020304 Tir Eoghain on August 22, 2009, 01:35:07 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on August 22, 2009, 01:29:42 AM

how many f**king times does it have to be said. It was a hunger strike commemoration.  Were you there?
Clearly I wasn't there. I'm not sure what difference that makes,

But surely the hunger strikes were a political event? If so, it would surely follow that a commemoration would also be a political event. It was hardly a sporting occasion.

Maguire01

Quote from: 020304 Tir Eoghain on August 22, 2009, 01:41:34 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on August 22, 2009, 01:37:52 AM
How many times.....

And thats where the Ulster Council come in.
So if the UC find a problem with it you'll agree that this club was wrong to allow such an event?

Maguire01

Quote from: hardstation on August 22, 2009, 01:41:42 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on August 22, 2009, 01:34:46 AM
Quote from: hardstation on August 22, 2009, 01:30:57 AM
Now, pints and Maguire, I did ask you before I took my route if it was the "Sinn Fein" or the "Hunger Strike commemoration" that annoyed you.

How did you answer?

As follows...

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 22, 2009, 12:47:46 AM
Quote from: hardstation on August 22, 2009, 12:42:39 AM
Right, it appears that the problem is Sinn Fein and not the actual Hunger Strike commemoration.

Is this correct?

I have no problem with people commemorating the hunger strikers. I've already said this.
The issue is with the GAA being dragged into it. These commemorations can take place anywhere, so why bring them into a sporting arena?
You can see it here:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13467.msg625762#msg625762
No mention of party politics in that answer.
Maybe not, but i've clearly stated my issue. Just because you only offered A or B as an answer doesn't mean I can't use C.
My issue is that this event was in a GAA ground - not that this event took place, nor that SF organised it.

Maguire01

Quote from: hardstation on August 22, 2009, 01:45:23 AM
If the UC find a problem with this, they have a major problem on their hands. A can of worms.
It is indeed.
It will probably be swept under the carpet.