Joe Canning to ignore medical advice

Started by GalwayBayBoy, August 19, 2009, 01:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Was on another thread here but probably worth one on it's own. Not the wisest move by young Joe. Maybe he should seriously reconsider this one.

QuoteJoe Canning has been told by doctors that he needs to take a year-long break from hurling, but is refusing to listen to them.

The Portumna scoring sensation, whose busy season continues when Galway take on Clare in Saturday's Bord Gais Energy All-Ireland U21 HC semi-final at Thurles, continues to be hampered by a stomach muscle problem that requires him taking a year off in order for it to fully heal.

But he insisted yesterday that a spell on the sidelines is "not an option" as he seeks to maximise his senior inter-county career.

"I need a year off basically to sort it out and unless I get dropped or something, that's not going to happen," the 20-year-old said.

"You only have a couple of years and you don't know what's around the corner.

"The injury is to my pubic symphysis. The muscle just came off the pubic bone. It's a muscle thing that just hampers me turning, taking off and sprinting and that kind of stuff. Any guy that had it before has taken six, eight or 12 months away and it would seem to be okay.

"But I don't know, it's not an option in my book. I want to play as much as I can. It's not threatening my career at this stage. Unless it does threaten my career as in, you won't be able to hurl next year, then maybe. But it's okay, I'm able to get by. I play a match and a few days after I'd be sore.

"It's not enough to affect my performance or anything and I wouldn't use it as an excuse. I'm lucky enough to be able to play."

Canning admitted he is still struggling to get over the disappointment of Galway's agonising All-Ireland quarter-final defeat to Waterford, when he missed a late chance to force a replay.

"We were four points up with three minutes to go and to lose it was unthinkable. I didn't watch the match yet and I'm still sickened by it. It's hard to take, we were leading so well and we basically threw it away. I was very frustrated with the point I missed at the end. I had the chance to level it and just fluffed it. I know it was a difficult angle but I'd expect myself to get it."

He added: "We've improved in leaps and bounds since last year but we've to start back again. It's a big disappointment that we won nothing. People were saying it was a good season for Galway but at the end of the day, we've no silverware or anything. It's a failure in my book."

The current All-Star also insists that older brother Ollie still has plenty to offer at the highest level.

"He is still hurting about the loss. He's 33 now and it's hard to know. I haven't talked to him about it but, hopefully he will come back. We need his experience and he is vital to us in Galway. I think a lot of the younger guys look up to him. He held John Mullane, which any other defender didn't do. Hopefully he'll commit for another year or two."

deiseach

You said 'pubic'. Huh huh huh.

I presume he has been told he doesn't have to have it but it will need to be addressed eventually. At least, I hope that is the case for his sake . . .

imtommygunn

I think it's a mistake on his part.

As it says there speed etc will be impacted. That will make him less of a player and to be honest from play he was a lesser player this year although arguably other teams were wiser to him.

INDIANA

sounds like ostis-pubis to me. If he doesn't take a year off- he won't be able to play soon with that. Declan Browne ended up taking 2 years out because he didn't get a break.
The Portumna management and galway management shouldn't select him. Thats the bottom line.

Croí na hÉireann

Had something similar myself last year, had to take a year out from the football as I just couldn't kick with it. Hurling wasn't too bad although like Joe it hampered me turning and sprinting. Spent last summer and autumn doing core exercises and now that that area is strong enough now the problem has worked its way down to the hip...  ::) He needs to take a break once the Galway club championship ends and just work on his core for at least 6 months. He could be back to full fitness for the inter-county championship next year...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on August 19, 2009, 03:11:13 PM
He needs to take a break once the Galway club championship ends and just work on his core for at least 6 months. He could be back to full fitness for the inter-county championship next year...

Thing is though he hasn't had a break in years because Portumna keep going so far in the club championship. Best thing that could happen is they get knocked out of the county championship asap but I don't think that's too likely.

INDIANA

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 19, 2009, 03:14:16 PM
He needs to take a break once the Galway club championship ends and just work on his core for at least 6 months. He could be back to full fitness for the inter-county championship next year...

Thing is though he hasn't had a break in years because Portumna keep going so far in the club championship. Best thing that could happen is they get knocked out of the county championship asap but I don't think that's too likely.

The best thing that could happen to him is that the Portumna manager says that in view of his long-term injury he's not being selected. Lets be perfectly clear about this- in no other sport in the world would he be selected.

Croí na hÉireann

When does the county championship finish? Mid-October? 6 months would have him coming back mid-April, he'd have to forget about the AI club (if they get that far) and all college hurling. Like you said though the easiest solution would be if they got knocked out...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Zulu

Quote from: INDIANA on August 19, 2009, 03:19:01 PM

The best thing that could happen to him is that the Portumna manager says that in view of his long-term injury he's not being selected. Lets be perfectly clear about this- in no other sport in the world would he be selected.

I agree 100%, winning county titles, AI clubs or IC AI's is all good and well but the health and well being of players is far more important and decisions like this sometimes need to be made by older, more mature individuals. Joe wants to play, like most young men, but longterm well being and service to all those teams is what's important. Any manager continuing to pick him is doing a dis-service to Joe and the game of hurling.

deiseach

Quote from: INDIANA on August 19, 2009, 03:19:01 PM

Good point. It would probably be in England's interest to squeeze another match out of Kevin Pietersen this summer - they're not going to play a match anyone in England really cares about until the winter of 2010. But they won't because he isn't 100%.

johnneycool

Ultimately he's going to miss a years hurling so it might as well be now as a few years down the line.

lilpaulie85

one year out now could extend his career in the long run, I hope for his sake he heeds medical advice
Chase the dream not the competition.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: johnneycool on August 19, 2009, 03:44:42 PM
Ultimately he's going to miss a years hurling so it might as well be now as a few years down the line.

Obviously he's already going to play for the Galway U-21's this weekend but once they are finished he should take a break until the beginning of next year's championship. He doesn't seem to want to but I think someone is going to have to have a word with him.

Reillers

It'll be ridicilous if he's let played. Ya, he's a young lad who thinks he's invincible, and he doesn't know much better, but the manangment do, and they need to sit him down and tell him that he's not going to be played untill he's fully recovered because he runs a risk of long term damage. I know all he wants to do now is play, play, play, like most young players do, but in the long run, it's better to take the time off now, then risk long term injury down the line. It could really restrict him, it's all fine and well now, and winning county titles and AI titles and all that is brilliant, but he could look back in 5 years time thinking what if.

He wants to play, all young players do, that's all the want to do, and taking that much time out of the game might seem like forever for him, but the decision for his welfare needs to be made, and probably by older more mature people, who are much more experienced then him in things like this. Picking him now, knowing that it could do long term damage will be totally irresponsible from the management and doing a disservice to the lad himself.

And Indy's right, in no other sport would this happen, in no under sport would he be selected.

He'll get over missing the time now, but if he leaves it, and plays with it, he could regret it for the rest of his career as we've all seen how these things can restrict a player, and make them less of a player. Canning is one of the most talented players this country has seen in a long time, lets keep it that way, and not let an irresponsible choice take away from what promises to be an amazing carer, not an injury ridden carer that ends early all because someone who knew better, didn't sit him down when he's was 20 years of age and set him straight. And for his sake, I hope somebody does.

theskull1

Quote from: Zulu on August 19, 2009, 03:31:43 PM
I agree 100%, winning county titles, AI clubs or IC AI's is all good and well but the health and well being of players is far more important and decisions like this sometimes need to be made by older, more mature individuals. Joe wants to play, like most young men, but longterm well being and service to all those teams is what's important. Any manager continuing to pick him is doing a dis-service to Joe and the game of hurling.

100%
Of course with having so many "masters" it'll be none of their fault for him breaking down.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera