The Offical Glasgow Celtic thread

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, January 26, 2007, 10:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
63 (87.5%)
?
9 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 72

heganboy

Has there been any chat about Paul Clement for the Celtic job. Surely he would be a great fit?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Main Street

In the traditions of all the memorable unhinged players who have been a part of Celtic, I think Paolo is the undisputed  king.

I doubt if the Celtic board did not know Lennon was going or that it was a surprise, I suspect they have an agreeable candidate already.


lynchbhoy

Quote from: Main Street on May 27, 2014, 12:24:17 PM
In the traditions of all the memorable unhinged players who have been a part of Celtic, I think Paolo is the undisputed  king.

I doubt if the Celtic board did not know Lennon was going or that it was a surprise, I suspect they have an agreeable candidate already.
From what I heard prev - Celtic were not expecting Lennons departure!

Paolo left under a cloud prev too - had a leetle problem with his salary

I liked him , still kind of do but don't want him as manager

Pref Steve Clarke who apparently is a big Celtic fan like Coyle

Would be happy with mackay or moyes too

Coyle would be ok
Weighorst has a lot of admirers from his Swansea work
Prefer larsson to stay away and remain an untarnished legend!
..........

T Fearon

Steve Clarke's uncle,Jim,played for Celtic in 60s.Good enough candidate

Moyes seems to be Desmond's option and might see Celtic as a means to revive his career.

Owen Coyle is not the answer,massive failure since leaving Burnley and would be another Mowbray

JimStynes

Talk of Morton and laudrup! They would be a good team and would play good football. Best option of out the list of 32846 names that have been mentioned.

lynchbhoy

only question I have regarding laudrup - would he not want a sackful of money to take the job (to spend on players) , we all know the biscuit tin prevails around celtic park yet...

Id be happy with most names mentioned
unless we get into epl or the manager is given serious money to assemble a side to mount a challenge in CL - I think the board wont want to spend too much (which is why we got lennon last time out)
..........

Main Street

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 27, 2014, 11:21:02 PM
Quote from: Main Street on May 27, 2014, 12:24:17 PM
In the traditions of all the memorable unhinged players who have been a part of Celtic, I think Paolo is the undisputed  king.

I doubt if the Celtic board did not know Lennon was going or that it was a surprise, I suspect they have an agreeable candidate already.
From what I heard prev - Celtic were not expecting Lennons departure!

Paolo left under a cloud prev too - had a leetle problem with his salary

I liked him , still kind of do but don't want him as manager

Pref Steve Clarke who apparently is a big Celtic fan like Coyle

Would be happy with mackay or moyes too

Coyle would be ok
Weighorst has a lot of admirers from his Swansea work
Prefer larsson to stay away and remain an untarnished legend!
I don't know LB, the rolling contract that Lennon was on, didn't inspire confidence from either party. If the board wanted Lennon to continue, that could easily have been discussed and details battered out in the spring time. It's not as if there was that much else happening since December.
I supposed that the board could have forced the contract issue sooner but were not that pushed about Lennon or appeasing him.
The first public sign of Lennon's discontent was his reaction to the board not renewing Samaras' contract. You can read that a few ways, one way is that was his exit strategy, 'the board will not support what I want for the team' etc.

Of course it depends who gets the job but I think its a good time to get someone else, Lennon can leave with his apprenticeship served and if he wants another job there will be offers for him to consider.




T Fearon

Roy Keane emerging as a short priced favourite. Not a good move.Spent and wasted big money at Sunderland, money he won't get at Celtic and will not have the patience to work at developing raw talent.Totally untried on the touchline in Europe

Main Street

Yesterday's Owen Coyle becomes today's Roy Keane.
Neither are fit for purpose.  Keane is already earning a packet as O'Neill's 3rd or 4th man  as well as his punditry duty.

Who knows who will be favourite after Keane?
Moyes has muddied his ambition with his zillions of cash from Man U, I suppose he could look upon the Celtic job as a charity stint.

lynchbhoy

those guys I liked as players - I wouldn't necessarily have them as managers

DiCanio, Coyle, Weighorst , Keane & Larsson.

Id want in this order
Clarke, Laudrup, Mackay, Moyes

but id say the clubs lack of willingness to spend would mean no one from the latter group would be interested
..........

Main Street

It's looking like Keane, Lynchbhoy. MON has just about said it's a done deal.
That's why Samaras didn't get his contract against the wishes of Lennon, Keane had said  'get shod of the greek'.

lynchbhoy

Yeah MS
It's been said that Dermot Desmond wants Keane. Asked his old pal MON about him.
That's as good as done.
Depends on whether Keane will accept a job with fcuk all funds to spend!

Wonder what stokes is thinking- Keane kicked him out of Sunderland!
..........

Main Street

No escape for Stokes, his penance shall be long and painful.
His sins must be mighty.

Applesisapples

Surely there is room for Keane to continue in a consultancy role with MON? I think Keane and Celtic may be good for each other. I doubt Keane would take a job without some promise of funds to tackle Europe. But we'll see.

Main Street

Why do you think Keane would be good for Celtic? Keane has little tactical acumen apart from 'get stuck in' and 'don't fall asleep.' And  whilst he was good at times in the championship, his player purchases were mundane for the most part.
There is no comparison between Keane and say McClaren, who is a real coach with a coaching brain, a tactical overview and able to coach players to play a role in the team as well as  sussing out what players he needs for the team.
Keane has a history of haphazard player purchases, with no overview.
Lennon had to learn all that from scratch, an education in progress. For a start, Celtic need a manager who can spend whatever money wisely, on a couple of players and not get stuck like last season when Kayal got injured  for the season after a few minutes in Milan and Brown gets suspended for 3 games. They need to negotiate  3 rounds to get into the CL against teams who mostly  are match fit from summer football and then look to finish at least 3rd in a group. Then motivate the team to a consistent level of performance at home.