AISF Aug 23rd Tyrone v Cork

Started by cadhlancian, August 02, 2009, 07:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMohan

Quote from: timmykelleher on August 24, 2009, 09:57:54 AM
Quote from: full back on August 24, 2009, 09:45:10 AM
As Billy Boots has said on another thread, Carney & Canning are some tools while commentating.
The free Gormley gave away at the start of the game was a touch ball on the ground.
But the 2 planks went on & on & f**king on that it wasnt a free.
For Christ sake, were they even watching the game >:(

That was doing my head in also. Because the producer showed a couple of replays of Conor Gormley picking the ball cleanly the went on and on about the call. Saying how justice was done when O'Connor missed the free. Sure everyone saw Gormley stop the ball on the ground with his hand before picking it up. You'd wonder how the 2 of them missed it.
A few hundred thousand saw it

Carney is a wet blanket

clarshack

Quote from: ONeill on August 24, 2009, 09:40:48 AM
A couple of other things:

Tyrone's use of the extra man was a disaster. Ricey, then Harte, were simply marking space in the half back line whilst Cork camped in their own half. The extra man should've been deployed further up the field, giving Tyrone more options in a half forward line that didn't turn up. As said before, Mickey Harte had a bad day too.

Secondly, although Cork deserved to win, they were there for the taking too. Tyrone lost by 5 playing badly. The crucial moment for me was at the start of the second half a minute after O'Neill had left 4 in it. It looked like the Kildare game revisited. Mugsy took a free from where Canavan scored in 05 and dropped it short.  You could see the annoyance on O'Neill's face. If Tyrone had turned the screw then we would've seen what Cork were made of. Cork are well set up to defend a good lead. Level pegging with 10 mins left would've been a different matter.

i think this was a big turning point as well. if mugsy had've put it over the scoreline would have been 1-9 to 0-9 but cork went straight up the field and scored a point to go 5 ahead again. sean cavanagh also missed a very scorebale free and the free taking has been a major problem for tyrone.

AZOffaly

I'm not sure about Cork's 'calmness'. I thought they came close to losing the run of themselves for about 10 minutes in the second half. As I said, if Tyrone had managed to raise a gallop, I think Cork may have imploded.

Still, that will stand to them, and physically they have all the tools.

How good is Stephen O'Neill by the way? Tyrone were completely shut down but even then he had the beating of probably the best man marker in the game consistently.

Billys Boots

QuoteHow good is Stephen O'Neill by the way? Tyrone were completely shut down but even then he had the beating of probably the best man marker in the game consistently.

To me, he looked the best forward on the field, easily.  Young O'Neill and Kelly look some prospects too. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

Yep. Tyrone have still a good team there, but I fear it's getting to the end of the line for lads like Dooher (sad to see him going off), Gormley, Jordan and maybe even McMenemin. Dooher's body looked to have finally started to see the effect of his injuries and his all action style.

JMohan

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 24, 2009, 10:06:23 AM
I'm not sure about Cork's 'calmness'. I thought they came close to losing the run of themselves for about 10 minutes in the second half. As I said, if Tyrone had managed to raise a gallop, I think Cork may have imploded.

Still, that will stand to them, and physically they have all the tools.

How good is Stephen O'Neill by the way? Tyrone were completely shut down but even then he had the beating of probably the best man marker in the game consistently.

Agree - I thought Cork were playing dangerously

But I wasn't as impressed with O'Neill as you

INDIANA

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 24, 2009, 09:55:26 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 20, 2009, 03:40:09 PM
should be a good game.
Looking forward going to it.
Will tryone manage to keep the margin of defeat to cork within 4 points though !
the answer was no
even with the man extra.

Cork as one or two on here have been saying (zulu and myself at least) since he start of the season - are def good enough to win the AI- and are prob te best team in the country.

The last test is to come.
v kerry  - will failures past drag the rebels down ?
or
will old scores be settled if meath cause an upset v the kingdom ?

Didnt expect tyrone to be able to do back to back all Irelands - its nigh impossible these days (lets face it one of Kerry's was against self-destruct-mayo so hardly counts!)

imo tyrone Peaked way too early in the championship also.

Don't think Tyrone peaked at all. Peaking is a myth anyway in my view. The lack of pace in the Tyrone team was extraordinary yesterday- compared to Cork they looked distinctly one paced. The subs who came on for Tyrone semed to be a yard faster than the guys playing. The biggest problem facing Tyrone is the energiser bunny half back line it had has lost some pace and they have no centre back. They also have a major problem in the half forward line- won't be easy replacing the likes of Dooher. But they still have enough class players left to create a newer team with some changes.

AZOffaly

Jaysus JMohan, why were you not impressed with O'Neill? In a game like that, where one team is physically dominating the other, and enjoying a lot of possession and turnovers, you rarely see a corner forward winning ball and scoring. Gooch among others have suffered from that affliction against Tyrone in the past. When the boot was on the other foot, you still had O'Neill being very dangerous, and he was being marked by a man I consider to be a fantastic corner back.

If Tyrone were winning the physical and possession exchanges, O'Neill looked like he could have kicked 6 or 7 points yesterday. He scored 3 from play as it was.

JMohan

Tyrone never peaked because they never had a decent challenge this year apart from Kildare until the Cork game where they were caught

That would not have helped them at all.

INDIANA

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 24, 2009, 10:19:38 AM
Jaysus JMohan, why were you not impressed with O'Neill? In a game like that, where one team is physically dominating the other, and enjoying a lot of possession and turnovers, you rarely see a corner forward winning ball and scoring. Gooch among others have suffered from that affliction against Tyrone in the past. When the boot was on the other foot, you still had O'Neill being very dangerous, and he was being marked by a man I consider to be a fantastic corner back.

If Tyrone were winning the physical and possession exchanges, O'Neill looked like he could have kicked 6 or 7 points yesterday. He scored 3 from play as it was.

I was impressed with O Neill yesteday and the fact that Tyrone couldn't find any way to isolate him shows how excellently Cork were organised defensively. i would say they spent hours in the last few weeks getting their alignment right. Counihan really is a top class coach.

tbrick18

Cork were by far the better team yesterday and fully deserved the win.
Barring Steven O'Neill (probably the best forward in the country) Tyrone lost every single individual battle.
I think Cork wanted it more on the day but they also have a very big talented team. IMO Cork will win the AI. Not because they beat Tyrone, but because they are the best team in the country.

Tyrone are still going to be a good team, but It's hard to see them winning another AI soon. Their leaders were all taken off yesterday, Dooher, McGinley, Gormley and we've probably seen the best of them. I think probably the only possible retirements will be Dooher and McGinley but even at that I think that it will be impossible to replace them in the short term. Ulster will be wide open next year....but Cork could well be the new dynasty in footballing terms.

Sandino

Congratulations to Cork they were great yesterday. the best team won on the day. I am still gutted about the way the game unfolded, not least Mr. Bannon. He was poor for both teams and as a tyrone man I think he got a lot of big calls wrong. I am suprised however that theres so little talk about Canty's kicking of the Tyrone player on the ground. He did not drop his knee as others have suggested but it was a clear kick. For this reason he should not have been MOTM in my opinion. There were however many fine performances by a number of Cork players that could have been MOTM performances. Again congratulations to Cork and Armagh.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

INDIANA

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on August 24, 2009, 10:28:27 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 24, 2009, 10:25:36 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 24, 2009, 10:19:38 AM

I was impressed with O Neill yesteday and the fact that Tyrone couldn't find any way to isolate him shows how excellently Cork were organised defensively. i would say they spent hours in the last few weeks getting their alignment right. Counihan really is a top class coach.

I though Tyrones short kick outs helped Cork a lot out in this department.  When to recieve the ball on your own 21m line, its a long long way up Croke park through 15 men the size of Cork.  Pretty simple to have everyone file back slightly.  Cork let Tyrone have the handy short kick out and all they had to do was crowd the defence out.

I know but tyrone couldn't win a break to save their life yesteday. Kicking it short was an act of submission- reminded me of what dublin had to do with Kerry a few weeks backs. Also the amount of times tyrone lads lost pace carrying the ball throught the tackle was extraordinary and the ball was just stripped off them. That used to be their forte- only sean cavanagh seemed to be able to carry the ball through the tackle without losing it.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: INDIANA on August 24, 2009, 10:17:31 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 24, 2009, 09:55:26 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 20, 2009, 03:40:09 PM
should be a good game.
Looking forward going to it.
Will tryone manage to keep the margin of defeat to cork within 4 points though !
the answer was no
even with the man extra.

Cork as one or two on here have been saying (zulu and myself at least) since he start of the season - are def good enough to win the AI- and are prob te best team in the country.

The last test is to come.
v kerry  - will failures past drag the rebels down ?
or
will old scores be settled if meath cause an upset v the kingdom ?

Didnt expect tyrone to be able to do back to back all Irelands - its nigh impossible these days (lets face it one of Kerry's was against self-destruct-mayo so hardly counts!)

imo tyrone Peaked way too early in the championship also.

Don't think Tyrone peaked at all. Peaking is a myth anyway in my view. The lack of pace in the Tyrone team was extraordinary yesterday- compared to Cork they looked distinctly one paced. The subs who came on for Tyrone semed to be a yard faster than the guys playing. The biggest problem facing Tyrone is the energiser bunny half back line it had has lost some pace and they have no centre back. They also have a major problem in the half forward line- won't be easy replacing the likes of Dooher. But they still have enough class players left to create a newer team with some changes.
imo tyrone peaked as much as this team could do. If you are measuring it against prev years then they peaked some year before this one.
They played as well as they possibly had to or could do against Armagh and Derry.

You think peaking is a myth. I dont but theres no point having an argument about it.
No problem.
Certainly theres a lack of pace in tyrone yesterday.
Cork were bigger, stronger, faster and tyrone moved the ball slowly and deliberately up the field as they knew that all the one v one battles were being won by cork - due to speed and strength.

My oul lad was giving out on how dirty Cork were when I ended up back at his place after coming home from the game. While I didnt see it during the game, the sunday game kind of backed this up. However, the best teams are always somewhat cynical and borderline 'dirty'. I applaud cork for that.

as I said last week, Tyrones matchups will be critical and if Harte went for the line up as named, they would be in trouble.
Cork were so dominant that I reckoned that getting a man sent off would leave it an even contest as with 15 men each we would have seen a kerry v dublin type scoreline.
Hard to do it two years in a row. The milage catches up with you.
I'd like to see that cork team win the AI - they deserve it, but as mayo and dublin will show, you dont always get that.

timmykelleher

Quote from: clarshack on August 24, 2009, 10:06:00 AM
Quote from: ONeill on August 24, 2009, 09:40:48 AM
A couple of other things:

Tyrone's use of the extra man was a disaster. Ricey, then Harte, were simply marking space in the half back line whilst Cork camped in their own half. The extra man should've been deployed further up the field, giving Tyrone more options in a half forward line that didn't turn up. As said before, Mickey Harte had a bad day too.

Secondly, although Cork deserved to win, they were there for the taking too. Tyrone lost by 5 playing badly. The crucial moment for me was at the start of the second half a minute after O'Neill had left 4 in it. It looked like the Kildare game revisited. Mugsy took a free from where Canavan scored in 05 and dropped it short.  You could see the annoyance on O'Neill's face. If Tyrone had turned the screw then we would've seen what Cork were made of. Cork are well set up to defend a good lead. Level pegging with 10 mins left would've been a different matter.

i think this was a big turning point as well. if mugsy had've put it over the scoreline would have been 1-9 to 0-9 but cork went straight up the field and scored a point to go 5 ahead again. sean cavanagh also missed a very scorebale free and the free taking has been a major problem for tyrone.

I thought the biggest moment was when Sean Cavanagh flashed his shot just wide of the post.
One minute he was miles out and was well covered.
The next he had brushed past our full abck and the ball was in the side netting.
What way would the game of gone if that had gone the other side of the post?
But it didn't so it's probably best to forget about it.
You can tie yourself up in knots with "what ifs"  8)
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009