AISF Aug 23rd Tyrone v Cork

Started by cadhlancian, August 02, 2009, 07:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

QuoteThe Cork midfield dominated that Kildare midfield in the 1/4 final last year.

That was last year DH and Kildare were poor enough in many areas, and although Murphy is good in the air he doesn't like the rough stuff and there'll be plenty of that this Sunday, he simply isn't the man for the job IMO.

QuoteI think this Cork team has been overhyped, they are still essentially the same players that have folded in major Croke Park occasions over the past few years

Eh? Shields, Carey, Miskella, Kelly, Colm O'Neill, Kerrigan and Goulding are all either young men who have developed from previous years, are injury free or back from Australia. This isn't the same Cork team at all and thats before you consider the subs bench.

timmykelleher

Quote from: Keyser soze on August 20, 2009, 02:44:30 PM
I think this Cork team has been overhyped, they are still essentially the same players that have folded in major Croke Park occasions over the past few years, i don't think it will be any different this time tbh

Last year we had 3 games in Croke park.
Against Kildare we stormed ahead and had enough of a lead to protect when Kildare made a comeback. Admitedly we didn't react too great to the comeback but made it over the line.

Kerry rang rings around us in the next match. Out of nowhere we came back from 8 points down to draw the match. Some may put it down to fluke but you could hardly say the last ten minutes was a team that had folded.

Our final game we started really well everywhere except the scoreboard. We kicked an amount of wides and Kerry built up a decent lead. Again we reeled them in and were looking the more likely winners when Gooch popped up with a killer goal. This knocked Cork back but they were still hammering away at the final whistle.

Ths year we have had 2 games in Croke park against Monaghan and Donegal. You might argue that neither team put it up to us. I prefer to see all 5 matches as a steady progression in performance at HQ.

Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Zulu on August 20, 2009, 02:51:15 PM
QuoteThe Cork midfield dominated that Kildare midfield in the 1/4 final last year.

That was last year DH and Kildare were poor enough in many areas, and although Murphy is good in the air he doesn't like the rough stuff and there'll be plenty of that this Sunday, he simply isn't the man for the job IMO.

We were poor in many areas last year but midfield was not one of them. Earley was as good in the Fermanagh and Limerick matches last year as he was in many games this year. Flynn also came on early on in that 1/4 final for Killian Brennan early on so it was the same midfield pairing that played Tyrone this year and Cork got the better of them.

If anything, I think this Cork team are being seriously underrated. If their forwards are quicker than Kildare's to pick up the spare man and they force McConnell to drive the ball long down the middle, I would expect them to get enough possession to beat Tyrone.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

lynchbhoy

should be a good game.
Looking forward going to it.
Will tryone manage to keep the margin of defeat to cork within 4 points though !

Zulu

I don't remember Early being as good as this year but I'll take your word for it as I can't really remember. I do agree though DH that Cork have a great chance and I actually expected them to win all year if this pairing came to pass, however the closer it's getting the more I'm leaning to the proven performers. Cork are still quite young in many positions, Kerrigan, Kelly, O'Neill and Goulding are all 21/22 and Ray Carey and Shields are the same age in the FB line. It's asking a lot of 21/22 year olds to match seasoned campaigners of the quality of O'Neill, Cavanagh, Gormley etc. Cork will become the team to beat IMO but I'm not sure Tyrone are ready to give up the crown yet.

Ogie84

Quote from: Keyser soze on August 20, 2009, 02:44:30 PM
I think this Cork team has been overhyped, they are still essentially the same players that have folded in major Croke Park occasions over the past few years, i don't think it will be any different this time tbh unless they get a blinding start and put Tyrone on the back foot. Other then that they will have to hope that Tyrone take the foot off the gas at some stage - as they have tended to do on occasion this year.

A comfortable win for Tyrone.
ah sure, we're just going for the day out.  ;)

Frank Casey

The key for Cork this year is on the line. Last year Conor Counihan was just settling into the job. What ultimately cost them against Kerry was that it tool him until the second half of the replay to get his best 15 on the park set up in the way he wanted them. Since then he has been quietly bringing Cork along.

It is correct to say that this is substantially the same group of players that have failed at the ultimate or penultimate Championship stages in recent years. However the team and panel are also sprinkled with a dusting from Corks successful U21 sides of 2007 and 2009.

Even if things go against Cork on Sunday, as they surely must at some stage, Conor won't panic or lose the head, in the Morgan or Tomkins manner.

However Conor can't kick the ball.

I'm bouncing from one side to another as to what I think will happen. Bookies have it as only a 1 point match. Tyrone to win by 1-3 points @ 11/4????

KERRY 3:7

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: rrhf on August 20, 2009, 11:54:07 AM
This is some challenge boyz and girl, the stomachs already in knots.

tell me about it - I'm losing sleep as it is

Mid Down Gael

Tyrone starting line up is as follows.

1  Pascal McConnell   An Baile Nua
2  P J Quinn   Baile na Móna
3  Conor Gormley   An Charraig Mhór
4  Ryan McMenamin   An Droim Mhór
5  Davy Harte   Aireagal Chiaráin
6  Justin McMahon   An Omaigh
7  Philip Jordan   An Mhaigh
8  Kevin Hughes   Cill Íseal
9  Enda McGinley   Aireagal Chiaráin
10  Brian Dooher  (C) Clann na nGael
11  Sean Cavanagh   An Mhaigh
12  Joe McMahon   An Omaigh
13  Martin Penrose   Achadh Uí Arain
14  Stephen O'Neill   Clann na nGael
15  Owen Mulligan   An Chorra Chríochach

Archie Mitchell

No real suprise. Good to see McGinley back. Expect the McGuigans to come on in the second half. Strange seeing naming Gormley at 3 and Justy at 6. Gormely has been playing full back for a number of years but always wore 6.

tyssam5

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on August 20, 2009, 08:42:57 PM
No real suprise. Good to see McGinley back. Expect the McGuigans to come on in the second half. Strange seeing naming Gormley at 3 and Justy at 6. Gormely has been playing full back for a number of years but always wore 6.

I was thinking that is strange as well. Normally if he is changing the same 6 defender around he names them in standard positions and they start differently. What new mind game is this??

Big game from Enda could be the winning of this.

never kickt a ball

Tyrone v Cork

20 Aug 2009

Comórtas: Craobh na hÉireann
Cluiche: Tír Eoghain  v  Corcaigh
Ionad: Pairc an Chrócaigh
Dáta: 23-08-09

16  Jonathan Curran  Oilean a'Ghuail
17  Dermot Carlin   Coill an Chlochair
18  Aidan Cassidy   Eochar
19  Colm Cavanagh   An Mhaigh
20  Ciarán Gourley   An Charraig
21  Colin Holmes   Na Clairsigh
22  Colm McCullagh   An Droim Mhór
23  Michael McGee   Loch Mhic Ruiairí
24  Brian McGuigan   Ard Bó
25  Tommy McGuigan   Ard Bó
26  Ryan Mellon   An Mhaigh
27  Raymond Mulgrew   An Chorra Chríochach
28  Sean O'Neill   An Droim Mhór
29  Shaun O'Neill   An Droim Mhór
30  Martin Swift   Coill an Chlochair
31  Gareth Devlin   An Chraobh
32  Niall Gormley   Trí Leac
33  Jason McAnulla An Omaigh

Bainisteoir: Micheál  Ó hAirt

Gaffer

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on August 20, 2009, 08:39:46 PM

How would a Down man get hold of the Tyrone team just announced? ;D
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

ONeill

So, Tommy, Brian, McCullagh, Cavanagh and O'Neill to see sub action if all being well?

Some kind of move to give the impression of a 6 foot plus midfield diamond of Justin, Hub, McGinley and Sean?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Gaffer on August 20, 2009, 08:55:14 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on August 20, 2009, 08:39:46 PM

How would a Down man get hold of the Tyrone team just announced? ;D

Was having a we brouse through various gaa websites and came across it on www.tyronegaa.ie