AISF Aug 23rd Tyrone v Cork

Started by cadhlancian, August 02, 2009, 07:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidelineKick

Cork completely deserved their victory, I underestimated just how good a team they are.  Its been a long long time since I seen Tyrone rattled like that.  The loss of Cavanagh certainly had a bearing on the game, he took it to them when he made an appearance.

I thought Bannon had a nightmare and its not often you hear a large section of support booing the ref off at half time.  Like Full Back I would like to know what Miskella was booked for, either he struck or he didn't (which he did).  Bannon wasn't up with the play at all.  In the first half when Monobrow thought he had won a 45, he was in the umpires face and obviously said something out of order. The umpire then put his hand up at which point Bannon just waved it down and made nothing out of it.  Also in the 2nd half McConnell kicked at least 3 short kickouts that didn't go over the 21, one of them actually went backwards as it was on the 21, and he failed to spot this.  I only noticed these as we were directly behind those goals.  Bannon was bad.

Cork will certainly put it up to Kerry (or Meath) and it would make for a great final were they to play Kerry.

On a lighter note I advised a fellow poster to do Daniel Goulding for first goal.  Did I do him? Of course I didn't. f**k.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Rois

Ah jeez, I woke up this morn with that horrible sinking feeling. Completely gutted but I'll get over it.
If Cork continue at that pace, it will take a team to be playing at their best to beat them, and unfortunately Tyrone just weren't at their best.

If Bannon had been doing his job properly he would have penalised Ricey and whoever else
lifted the short kickout inside the 21, as noted above. Cork used low handpasses quite a bit which always worked, interesting to see that.

I've heard of two Tyrone players who indicated that this would be their last year, even in advance of this match. Sad to see them go out that way if indeed they hang up the boots. 

comeontheredhands

Well done Cork - you have been impressive all year.I remember you beating us in Cork in the League a few years ago and yesterday was a similar performance. I hope you beat Spillane`s girls in the final if they get that far. Be careful though if ifs a sharper ref in the final who may not allow the level of phyicality as much as that bollix Bannon did. Stephen O Neil , Kevin Hughes and a few others send their apologies to your boys for not being able to swop their starting match jerseys with your lads ,but tell them to blame O Neills - must have been a bad batch of Jerseys they got yesterday.
Rebels for Sam.
Tyrone not going away you know.

brokencrossbar1

On the Miskella incident, with all the clls for him to be suspended, no one has mentioned that McGuigan should be also.  Miskella hit him a lsap on the head, but McGuigan struck him an elbow in the ribs.  Both striking actions both sending off offences.  Parity is everything.

On that kick out Rois, did Cork not score from dispossessing a Tyrone man as he came out?

AZOffaly

Well done Cork. I really enjoyed the first half yesterday, but I have to say that was one of the worst refereeing performances I've seen. I don't normally bang on about referees, but Bannon was shocking. Players and Managers give out about consistency, but usually they mean one mans style versus another's. Bannon was inconsistent vis a vis his own decisions in the same game. O'Connor was unlucky to go, but Miskella was steeped he didn't go. The only thing may have been it was more of a push than a box, but Donnacha O'Connor got sent off for a lot less last year.

I thought Cork were unbelievably cynical as well, especially in the second half, but all through the game they were obviously going to drag the Tyrone man down rather than let him run. Even Gormley's turnover, and the one off Jordan or Harte in the second half were going to be fouls if the Tyrone man held on to the ball. If Tyrone,  Armagh or any of the northern teams had deployed those tactics we'd have been screaming blue murder about cynicism, so fair is fair.  Cork were as bad or worse as any of those teams have ever shown.

That been said, when Cork played football in the first half, their power, pace and direct play was fantastic. I still think they may have mental issues, they seemed to tie up badly and kicked 13 or 14 wides. If Tyrone had managed a goal, I think they'd have kicked on and won it. Of course this win may well remove those doubts from Cork, but if Kerry get over Meath I wonder will Cork get white line fever?

oakleafgael

They should be allowed to pick their own time of departure after all they have given to the Tyrone cause over the last 10 years but I think that will be the end of Dooher, Holmes, Gourley and maybe Gormly.

Cork where deserving winners buts its a pity that Bannon is being talked about and not the performance that Cork put in. He is and always has been a poor ref. They sailed very close to the wind with their discipline but they pushed it as far as they where let and any good team does the same.

Rois

Ref was poor indeed - spare a thought for me, I was sitting with the Tyrone referees and assessors!

Ah bc1, that might well have been the case, can't remember. It happened at least twice though, probably only fair if Cork got at lease one score.

ONeill

A couple of other things:

Tyrone's use of the extra man was a disaster. Ricey, then Harte, were simply marking space in the half back line whilst Cork camped in their own half. The extra man should've been deployed further up the field, giving Tyrone more options in a half forward line that didn't turn up. As said before, Mickey Harte had a bad day too.

Secondly, although Cork deserved to win, they were there for the taking too. Tyrone lost by 5 playing badly. The crucial moment for me was at the start of the second half a minute after O'Neill had left 4 in it. It looked like the Kildare game revisited. Mugsy took a free from where Canavan scored in 05 and dropped it short.  You could see the annoyance on O'Neill's face. If Tyrone had turned the screw then we would've seen what Cork were made of. Cork are well set up to defend a good lead. Level pegging with 10 mins left would've been a different matter.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

full back

As Billy Boots has said on another thread, Carney & Canning are some tools while commentating.
The free Gormley gave away at the start of the game was a touch ball on the ground.
But the 2 planks went on & on & f**king on that it wasnt a free.
For Christ sake, were they even watching the game >:(

On the Miskella/Mc Guigan incident.
If Mc Guigan did hit Miskella in the ribs then he deserves to be punished for it, but the punishment for striking is more severe than hitting someone an elbow in the ribs.
It is besides the point, but Im sure Mc Guigan doesnt care about it this morning, it is Miskella who will be more worried

Billys Boots

QuoteCork were as bad or worse as any of those teams have ever shown.

Very, very cynical alright - a pity, as their passing and movement in the first 20 minutes was as good as any I've seen.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 24, 2009, 01:53:19 AM
QuoteYou havent a clue sheehy, your level of hatred for tyrone and to a lesser extent Armagh is incredible, you were slabberin a while ago about the pony being disrespected and that the minors would keep that in mind? what the feck was that all about? it didnt do them much good though did it.

Tyrone are worthy champions, they owned kerry for years and you havent the class to admit that. Tyrone are a tremendous team, were a tremendous time any way you cut it and you have been the most negative gobshite on this board on the run up to this game.

I hope Meath bate youse, failing that Cork will hammer ye by 8 or 9 points and i think that would be even funnier. I would have been aneutral in the AI but if you somehow make it I will be hoping that Cork bate ye up and down the field.

be quiet you nutter. You're always liable to go off on your little rants. You,  with your head stuck up Tyrones arses. I suppose you have no choice given the epic failure of your own county..what is it again 1 AI out of 7 Ulsters ? pathetic
i know its against the rules to reveal a posters identity , but it must be obvious to everyone now,
Mike Sheehy IS Pat Spillane
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

oakleafgael

Quote from: ONeill on August 24, 2009, 09:40:48 AM
A couple of other things:

Tyrone's use of the extra man was a disaster. Ricey, then Harte, were simply marking space in the half back line whilst Cork camped in their own half. The extra man should've been deployed further up the field, giving Tyrone more options in a half forward line that didn't turn up. As said before, Mickey Harte had a bad day too.

Secondly, although Cork deserved to win, they were there for the taking too. Tyrone lost by 5 playing badly. The crucial moment for me was at the start of the second half a minute after O'Neill had left 4 in it. It looked like the Kildare game revisited. Mugsy took a free from where Canavan scored in 05 and dropped it short.  You could see the annoyance on O'Neill's face. If Tyrone had turned the screw then we would've seen what Cork were made of. Cork are well set up to defend a good lead. Level pegging with 10 mins left would've been a different matter.

O'Neills annoyance at that time was with Bannon. He could have caught the free from Mulligan but Lynch put both arms around him stopping him from jumping. It should have been a free, im not sure where exactly he was standing as it could even have been a penalty.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 20, 2009, 03:40:09 PM
should be a good game.
Looking forward going to it.
Will tryone manage to keep the margin of defeat to cork within 4 points though !
the answer was no
even with the man extra.

Cork as one or two on here have been saying (zulu and myself at least) since he start of the season - are def good enough to win the AI- and are prob te best team in the country.

The last test is to come.
v kerry  - will failures past drag the rebels down ?
or
will old scores be settled if meath cause an upset v the kingdom ?

Didnt expect tyrone to be able to do back to back all Irelands - its nigh impossible these days (lets face it one of Kerry's was against self-destruct-mayo so hardly counts!)

imo tyrone Peaked way too early in the championship also.

timmykelleher

Quote from: full back on August 24, 2009, 09:45:10 AM
As Billy Boots has said on another thread, Carney & Canning are some tools while commentating.
The free Gormley gave away at the start of the game was a touch ball on the ground.
But the 2 planks went on & on & f**king on that it wasnt a free.
For Christ sake, were they even watching the game >:(

That was doing my head in also. Because the producer showed a couple of replays of Conor Gormley picking the ball cleanly the went on and on about the call. Saying how justice was done when O'Connor missed the free. Sure everyone saw Gormley stop the ball on the ground with his hand before picking it up. You'd wonder how the 2 of them missed it.
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

ross matt

Best team won. Cork's applied agression to their superior power and Tyrone had no answer. Yes Cork were cynical and pushed it to the limit phycially but Tyrone are no angels in that department so no harm to see them get a piece of their own medicine.

That being said it's nonsense to claim Tyrone were'nt "worthy champions". They've played some brilliant football this season as current champions. Why on the basis of one defeat are so many people (especially O'Rourke) writing their obituary.

It goes without saying that both sides yesterday made huge sacrifices in preparing for this semi final. The very minimum they deserve is a ref who is at least competent. John Bannon failed abysmally in this regard. He was completely out of his depth. The sending off was undeserved but Miskella definitely should have went regardless of McGuigan's dive. There were lots of other decisions along the way that must have really frustrated both sides. This is not his first time to c**k up in big matches. As  far back as 2001 there were jokes about Galway presenting him with an AI medal for his wonky decisions that helped them on their way to Sam. Yet here he is in 2009 getting a match of this stature to ref...

I really think Cork can go all the way. They have a calmness to them which was evident when they lost a man so early in the match. Very businesslike. I think this will stand to them against either Kerry or Meath. Hope they win it. Great to see the likes of Anthony Lynch & Graham Canty get all Ireland medals.