Started by marym, July 01, 2009, 10:37:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: JMohan on July 02, 2009, 12:12:46 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 01, 2009, 05:26:22 PM
Quote from: JMohan on July 01, 2009, 01:29:40 PM
Quote from: OverThePostsAWide on July 01, 2009, 12:49:34 PM
Quote from: JMohan on July 01, 2009, 12:19:28 PM
Lads, I've long given up listening to anything that man has to say ...

For someone who was no more than an average footballer himself he's created an image of being something special and has incredible arrogance when criticizing others.

Jeez, but you're a bitter man!  ::) Did he roast you one day?  :D

I would have loved to have been that average, would you not? But maybe you were...

Like him or loath him, there's not many reasonable, objective observers who would agree with your assessment that in his heyday he was "no more than an average footballer"! Two All-Stars, I think, neither from 1993 when Derry were in the spotlight. Can't think of any other "average" footballers with two. Sort of a contradiction in terms.

You might have an argument that his talent was exaggerated beyond your opinion of him (that wouldn't surprise me, but that says more about you than him...), but to say that he "was no more than an average footballer" is just plain, well, ridiculous  ::) Are you from Bitterstown in Tyrone?

I have heard that he still has a deadly left foot and has given more than one county defender the run-around at the age of 39!
(and before you say that's only in Antrim, the same defenders have got to an Ulster Final  ;))

He gets paid well to be arrogant. Not much point in being bland or run-of-the-mill, to be honest...
No matter how much anyone gets paid they don't get paid to be arrogant - they get paid to be fair
That's a very naive understanding of how the media operates.
Who's talking about the media?
I'm just talking about manners and respect & decency - unless they don't exist in the world of the 'media'
Are we not? Is Brolly not a pundit?

Maguire01

Quote from: JMohan on July 02, 2009, 10:55:27 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on July 02, 2009, 10:53:45 AM
QuoteTyrone have had the upper hand on them in their 3 meetings this decade, but Kerry have still won 4 All-Irelands to Tyrone's 3 and deserve to be ahead of Tyrone. It's not Kerry's fault that Tyrone weren't there to challenge them in 2002, 2004, 2006, and 2007. If Tyrone happen to win the AI this year and if they happen to beat Kerry along the way, then Tyrone will come out as the team of the decade.

As mentioned by Sideline kick, Tyrone wouldn't need to beat Kerry this year to be classed as the 'team of the decade'.  As for MS's comment, what 'educated observers' see Tyrone as a limited and cynical team?  Tyrone have proven that they have the better players and are a better team than Kerry over the past 6 years. 
I agree here too.

Though I will admit early on they were a bit cynical, now that 'honour' has passed to Monaghan
If we were to win one All Ireland, or even an Ulster or two over the next few years, i'd gladly accept that honour.  ;D

JMohan

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 02, 2009, 03:32:42 PM
Quote from: JMohan on July 02, 2009, 10:55:27 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on July 02, 2009, 10:53:45 AM
QuoteTyrone have had the upper hand on them in their 3 meetings this decade, but Kerry have still won 4 All-Irelands to Tyrone's 3 and deserve to be ahead of Tyrone. It's not Kerry's fault that Tyrone weren't there to challenge them in 2002, 2004, 2006, and 2007. If Tyrone happen to win the AI this year and if they happen to beat Kerry along the way, then Tyrone will come out as the team of the decade.

As mentioned by Sideline kick, Tyrone wouldn't need to beat Kerry this year to be classed as the 'team of the decade'.  As for MS's comment, what 'educated observers' see Tyrone as a limited and cynical team?  Tyrone have proven that they have the better players and are a better team than Kerry over the past 6 years. 
I agree here too.

Though I will admit early on they were a bit cynical, now that 'honour' has passed to Monaghan
If we were to win one All Ireland, or even an Ulster or two over the next few years, i'd gladly accept that honour.  ;D
Well as you and I know it won't happen with the current regime

Mike Sheehy

Is Brolly even qualified to occupy the pundits chair ? What exactly has he done in the game ?...one AI which was won beating a Cork team in terminal decline and a Dublin team who were notorious for losing to inferior teams ?

ExiledGael

How exactly do you qualify to be a pundit Mike?
Not being argumentative but it's not solely based on medals, we've had plenty of multiple All-Stars and All-Ireland winners as terribe pundits. I'd reckon Brolly is one of the dozen or so people in the country who understand every working of the GAA disciplinary system. Whatever his qualifications as a pundit the GAA could do a lot worse than hire him and sort out the rulebook and appeals process once and for all. I find him the most informative and insightful pundit that RTE have.

yermanfromlapland

Kerry are a fantasctic team and will really benefit from the qualifiers. Expect them to be there or there abouts come the end of the season.

http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2009/07/kerry-second-chance-gaa/

Farrandeelin

It's easy ExiledGael. Just say how the standard of football is slipping and all that malarkey. Also, if Spillane's on with you, give him a few digs about Kerry/Tyrone. That's how you qualify to be a pundit these days on RTE.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Main Street

Certainly the much overused phrase "terminal decline"  has seen better days.

blanketattack

In Joe Brolly's entire c'ship career he only played 3 games outside of the Ulster C'ship so he's nowhere near qualified to talk about Gaelic Football at a national level. At best he's qualified to be on BBC Northern Ireland's coverage along with Burns and McHugh who also have minute amount of experience outside of Ulster. 3 c'ship games outside of provincial level. FFS, any decent 21 or 22 year old player will have already played 3 c'ship games outside of provinical leve.

SidelineKick

Quote from: blanketattack on July 03, 2009, 02:03:20 AM
In Joe Brolly's entire c'ship career he only played 3 games outside of the Ulster C'ship so he's nowhere near qualified to talk about Gaelic Football at a national level. At best he's qualified to be on BBC Northern Ireland's coverage along with Burns and McHugh who also have minute amount of experience outside of Ulster. 3 c'ship games outside of provincial level. FFS, any decent 21 or 22 year old player will have already played 3 c'ship games outside of provinical leve.

Wanketattack, do you think that could have anything to do with the introduction of the qualifiers?  ::)
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: blanketattack on July 03, 2009, 02:03:20 AM

WetBlanketattack your bitterness and stupidity shine like binary stars in the constellation Gobshite ::)

So you need to have multiple championship experiences outside of Ulster to qualify to talk about Gaelic Football at a national level in your book?  :D :D :D :D

That's some bubble you live in... So let's scrap all the underachieving pundits, journalists and talking heads who don't make your arbitrary criteria. I think that might just leave Pat Spillane and Paidi O'Se...  :o

Tell us, how many championship games have you played that qualifies you to even comment according to your own standards?

Or is it that you just hate Brolly...

Has to be a troll, nobody could be that stupid and be able to type.

Maybe that's it - you're the Brolly-hating Tyronie that lives under Ballinderry Bridge!  ;D

JMohan

020304 Tir Eoghain

Somebody on Drivetime last night with Michael Lyster (possibly Barney Rock??) was of the opinion that there are still problems in the Kerry
camp and went on to say that the hammering of Dublin was only papering over the cracks ???
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

SidelineKick

Quote from: 020304 Tir Eoghain on August 05, 2009, 11:01:50 AM
Somebody on Drivetime last night with Michael Lyster (possibly Barney Rock??) was of the opinion that there are still problems in the Kerry
camp and went on to say that the hammering of Dublin was only papering over the cracks ???

Sure there's rumours all the time (see my new thread).  To be honest, Tyrone is nearly the only camp that you never hear of any fall outs, I'm sure there are some but they keep them in house, the way it should be.

Kerry are damn good at papering over cracks!!
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.