New York

Started by Karl Kennedy, May 21, 2009, 09:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on June 15, 2015, 03:48:16 PM
Folks

Heading to new York in a few weeks time with two children. I was reading that a taxi from JFK to Manhatten would be $55 which is not too bad. Alternatively the subway is around $10 - $12 for the 4 of us.

I'd prefer the taxi for convenience reasons. What's the odds of not getting ripped off with a higher that $55 bill?

You'll not get to Manhattan from JFK using the subway for $12 for the four of you. First, you'll need $5 apiece for the Air Train to whichever subway station you go to (Howard Beach for A train, Jamaica for E/J/Z and Long Island Railroad). Subway is $2.75 each. LIRR is probably $5-8 depending on when you are travelling (there's peak and off-peak fares, depending on when you take it - into city in morning/out of city in evening is peak).

Taxi is probably your best bet. But you have to add tolls and tips to the $55 figure. Midtown tunnel is tolled. 59th Street, Williamsburg, Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges are not. RFK (formerly Triborough) is also tolled. Which option you take depends on where in Manhattan you are headed, but the Long Island Expressway and Midtown Tunnel would be the most direct route to midtown.

If you are heading somewhere around the Penn Station/Times Square area, you might be better off taking the Air Train and LIRR if its a heavy traffic time of day. The Van Wyck Expressway out of JFK is invariably clogged, and the Long Island Expressway is often not much better. Its about a ten minute ride to Jamaica station from Terminal 5 (Aer Lingus) on the Air Train. Jamaica station to Penn on LIRR is usually about 15 minutes. Subway could be 30-45 on E train.

J70

If you get a taxi, DO NOT accept one of the lads who will be soliciting business in the terminal. They'll charge you an arm and a leg, chances are they're not insured or licensed to pick up fares, and its illegal.

Sort yourself out with an Uber account if you don't want to queue up, as Heganboy suggests. In my experience, they're excellent! And fast! There can be long lines at the NYC airports for the yellow cabs.

whitey

Folks

Heading to new York in a few weeks time with two children. I was reading that a taxi from JFK to Manhatten would be $55 which is not too bad. Alternatively the subway is around $10 - $12 for the 4 of us.

I'd prefer the taxi for convenience reasons. What's the odds of not getting ripped off with a higher that $55 bill?

All good advice above

If you are staying in a hotel, call them they may have a preferred Livery service they use.

Subway with kids and luggage sounds like a major hassle

Jell 0 Biafra

Folks

If you're staying anywhere near 33rd St on the West Side, the Long Island Rail Road connection from the Air Train is pretty convenient.   

Unless you know the subway system, I wouldn't bother with it from the airport, it can be a bit confusing till you know your way around it.   

You'll just be off a plane, with your kids in tow, so a taxi is your best bet for a stress free trip.   Just remember t hat that $55 will look more like $70-75 by the time tolls and tip are added.   

aontroim abu

Just back from NY last week, used the GO airport shuttle, for the 2 of us cost roughly $80 return from Newark (plus tip), the pick up was sitting waiting on us plus arrived on time at the hotel for collection. Only problem was you had to share with others and had to stop at 2 other hotels to pick up other travellers, overall the trip from Times Square took roughly an hour and a half in rush hour which isn't too bad.

Tony Baloney

Will be in town for 2 nights on the way back from a work trip with another fella. Any suggestions for reasonably priced accommodation. Had a look at some hotels but obviously space restrictions in NYC mean twin rooms are limited and Indont fancy a bunk up with this chap. I've been before but he hasn't so will want to be fairly centrally located to make best use of time to hit the sights.

Will be wanting some pub recommendations for evening entertainment!

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 18, 2015, 01:12:00 AM
Will be in town for 2 nights on the way back from a work trip with another fella. Any suggestions for reasonably priced accommodation. Had a look at some hotels but obviously space restrictions in NYC mean twin rooms are limited and Indont fancy a bunk up with this chap. I've been before but he hasn't so will want to be fairly centrally located to make best use of time to hit the sights.

Will be wanting some pub recommendations for evening entertainment!

Just left New York this morning and stayed here.
http://www.thegregoryhotelnewyork.com/m/#content

Superb location and very good hotel. Price it via booking.com if you're interested.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Tony Baloney

Looks like the sort of place you'd take the missus!  :D

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 18, 2015, 11:09:36 AM

We booked it in Sept and it was caked the Comfort Inn. It was £500 for me, the missus and the 2 weins for 4 nights. Ir became Hotel 35 in Feb and then we got another email saying it was now caked The Gregory.

It was just finished getting a refurbished when we arrived. I think it'll be a LOT more expensive from here in.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on July 18, 2015, 01:45:18 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 18, 2015, 11:09:36 AM

We booked it in Sept and it was caked the Comfort Inn. It was £500 for me, the missus and the 2 weins for 4 nights. Ir became Hotel 35 in Feb and then we got another email saying it was now caked The Gregory.

It was just finished getting a refurbished when we arrived. I think it'll be a LOT more expensive from here in.
That was good going. $570 for 2 nights.

CD

Lived in NY for 9 months about 15 years ago and spent many an evening in a pub called 'Blooms' in Sunnyside, Queens. Is it still going?
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Jell 0 Biafra

Molly Blooms?   Still going if that's the one.

gallsman

Looking to go back to New York for the gf's 30th in December. Direct flights at the minute are 430 return which is hard to beat.

Only time I was there was with lads on a piss up, so will be much more interested in looking at going to shows etc this time. Is there a cheap(er), Vegas-style way to get tickets? Some of the prices on the official site are terrifying!

dec

Quote from: gallsman on January 18, 2016, 03:10:36 PM
Looking to go back to New York for the gf's 30th in December. Direct flights at the minute are 430 return which is hard to beat.

Only time I was there was with lads on a piss up, so will be much more interested in looking at going to shows etc this time. Is there a cheap(er), Vegas-style way to get tickets? Some of the prices on the official site are terrifying!

TKTS has a couple of locations including one in Times Square that offer day of show half price tickets. The most popular shows are probably not available.

Boycey

My other half surprised me for Christmas with a trip to New York/Toronto around the Paddys Day - Easter school holidays. I have however been tasked with getting the hotel in New York for the 4 days we're there, everything else is already sorted :-). As she lived in NY for 16 years and still gets back to it 1/2 times a year and I've been multiple times myself its not somewhere we're unfamiliar with so I'm trying to think out of the box a bit for somewhere to stay. Anyone got any wild or wonderful suggestions????