New York

Started by Karl Kennedy, May 21, 2009, 09:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostInSpace

Thanks for the information lads, think I'm going to take the bus, cant be bad to those prices :-)

5 Sams

Anyone any links for short term apartment hire companies....lookin to save a few quid on hotels for 4 or 5 nights in September??
The Aristocrat Years

LostInSpace

Quote from: 5 Sams on July 05, 2011, 11:02:59 PM
Anyone any links for short term apartment hire companies....lookin to save a few quid on hotels for 4 or 5 nights in September??

Im sure you already know that there is a scam of illegally renting private apartments, deposit up front and when you get there the apartment either doesnt exist or someone else lives there.

There are some companies who rent out apartments legally of course but any I checked were looking big $$$, Manhattan is ridiculously expensive, theres quite a few taxes added onto everything. 

Norf Tyrone

Quick question.

I've an opportunity to stop off at New York (Never been) via work, but it's short and sweet.

Essentially I arrive in Newark at 2pm, and leave again the next day at midday Sunday. Essentially I'll be reaching my hotel at the airport at 3ish, and be up and away again at 9am the next day.

Is it worth the hassle?
How far is it from Newark to New York center?
How much will it cost me to get there and back?

I can get an alternate flight that gives me Friday evening, all Saturday and all Sunday in Minneapolis (I know there isn't much there) which might be a more leisurely option.

Any suggestions?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on September 27, 2012, 09:50:49 PM
Quick question.

I've an opportunity to stop off at New York (Never been) via work, but it's short and sweet.

Essentially I arrive in Newark at 2pm, and leave again the next day at midday Sunday. Essentially I'll be reaching my hotel at the airport at 3ish, and be up and away again at 9am the next day.

Is it worth the hassle?

I can get an alternate flight that gives me Friday evening, all Saturday and all Sunday in Minneapolis (I know there isn't much there) which might be a more leisurely option.

Any suggestions?
http://gonyc.about.com/cs/airlinesairports/a/getto_ewr.htm

I would go for it. Bus for 20 odd bucks return. Could get in a wee bit of sightseeing, a beer and a feed and back out to bed.

5 Sams

Quick question.

Is it worth the hassle?

Any suggestions?

You have an opportunity to spend a few hours in Manhattan...don't miss it. Amazing place...you'll be back.
The Aristocrat Years

tyssam5

Quick question.

Is it worth the hassle?

Any suggestions?

Time of day you're going in at the train should be handier than the bus. The train at Newark that links the terminals also link to NJ transit and the train runs into Penn station, right in the middle of Manhattan. Shouldn't take more than 45mins. You should definitely do it.

Norf Tyrone

Cheers lads.

Still can't make up my mind. We'd always planned that me and the missus would head over for our 40ths. Not sure how it'll go down if I do a < 24 hour whistle stop tour!

Quandry!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

sammymaguire

although tempting to go in when you are so close, I'd say leave it and do it properly - it will last in the memory the rest of your life
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

thewobbler

Quote from: sammymaguire on September 28, 2012, 09:21:20 AM
although tempting to go in when you are so close, I'd say leave it and do it properly - it will last in the memory the rest of your life
I'm thinking the opposite.

The train from Newark to Penn Station is great. Get out at Penn, walk over to the Rockefeller and have a look over Central Park. You'll be sold on New York forever.

Canalman

Yeah, train from Newark takes barely 30/40 minutes and you are straight into Manhattan. For an afternoon only straight down to the tip of Manhattan to see The Statute of Liberty, Wall Street, Ground Zero and maybe a trip on the Staten Island ferry. Should be enough for the day along with a few beers near Penn Station before your return.
Area around Newark Train station really empties out after dark and is not a place I would dilly dally around.

tyssam5

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on September 28, 2012, 01:50:46 AM
Cheers lads.

Still can't make up my mind. We'd always planned that me and the missus would head over for our 40ths. Not sure how it'll go down if I do a < 24 hour whistle stop tour!

Quandry!

I don't get why that's a quandary, would she rather you stayed at a Newark airport hotel for the whole evening/night just cos she wasn't there?

laoislad

Quote from: tyssam5 on September 28, 2012, 11:28:14 AM
Cheers lads.

Quandry!

I don't get why that's a quandary, would she rather you stayed at a Newark airport hotel for the whole evening/night just cos she wasn't there?

I don't understand why he would even tell her..

New York is ok. Was there for a week two years ago.
I wouldn't be rushing back, not that I didn't enjoy it but I dunno what you would do the second time once you have seen all the famous sights the first go.
I'd rather go and explore a new city if I was going back to the States.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

J70

If you want to stay in Newark for the night, maybe the Red Bulls will be playing at home. Thierry Henry is still strutting his stuff there.

Personally I'd take the quick train journey into Manhattan. You can also take the PATH train direct from Newark to midtown or the World Trade Center. And if you go to a Red Bulls game, the PATH will have you there in five minutes from Newark.

tyssam5

Quote from: laoislad on September 28, 2012, 12:38:43 PM
Quote from: tyssam5 on September 28, 2012, 11:28:14 AM
Cheers lads.

Quandry!

I don't understand why he would even tell her..

New York is ok. Was there for a week two years ago.
I wouldn't be rushing back, not that I didn't enjoy it but I dunno what you would do the second time once you have seen all the famous sights the first go.
I'd rather go and explore a new city if I was going back to the States.

For me there's enough to do for any amount of trips, one you've got the sights out of the way you can start to have fun.