Achilles Tendonitis

Started by The Gs Man, March 03, 2009, 10:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Gs Man

Any magic cures?  Would a cushioned in-sole do the trick?  I've rested it for a fortnight but want to get out training again (road-running).
Keep 'er lit

illdecide

Quote from: The Gs Man on March 03, 2009, 10:53:31 AM
Any magic cures?  Would a cushioned in-sole do the trick?  I've rested it for a fortnight but want to get out training again (road-running).

Well G's man i have 10 years history with mine and would need 2 hours typing to tell you the In's and outs but here's a quick run down...

I started of with tendinitis and keep training away, after training it became really inflamed and became that sore at time i couldn't drive the car. I was told to rest it for a few months and didn't, i eventually got a cortisone injection to help it and for a year it was like a new foot but then one fine Friday evening in Dromintee she ruptured as i went for a sprint and ended in plaster for 4 1/2 months. Moral of the story is rest it until it's better and get good physio on it too...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Uladh

Road running is the worst possible thing you could do on it. when you do get the all clear to start back, start on the grass for a few weeks

Homer

Quote from: The Gs Man on March 03, 2009, 10:53:31 AM

There's your problem Gs. The roads are very hard on ankles and heels I would give it a break for a while and when you do go back try running on a pitch or something for a while before returning to the tarmac.

Minder

Quote from: Uladh on March 03, 2009, 11:15:53 AM

Road running is the worst possible thing you could do on it. when you do get the all clear to start back, start on the grass for a few weeks

:o  :o  :o
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

The Gs Man

Thats the thing lads.  Im supposed to be doing a couple of legs in the Belfast Marathon in May, (maybe only about 10 miles).  Dont really want to knock it on the head yet.
Keep 'er lit

lynchbhoy

youd be better off and return faster to full fitness if the achilles went completely !
I hear its akin to getting shot in the back of the ankle - its that sore !

A slightly pulled/strained one - tendnitis - needs complete rest and thorough work from a good physio massaging and manipulating it as often as possible for it to 'take' again.
this can take fecking ages, but no amount of rest on its own will cure this - unless its a very slight strain and hardly problematic.
Sorry, but yer out of football until mid summer at best imo.

illdecide

R u serious...the g's man wouldn't know whats inside a ball :D :D :D He'd rather pull his strings on his instrument :P

The Gs Man

Your right chief!  hung up the boots 2 years ago, in my prime....

Gonna have to give the physio a shout now.  Don't want to be turning into a fat mess like illdecide!
Keep 'er lit

hectorsheroes

Best thing is heel drops of a set of stairs, 3 reps of 10, twice a day - seems to be helping me, if you google heel drops there is plenty of advice - takes a while though but stick at it, physio I wnet to advised me of this and although not completely cured - a whole lot better

imtommygunn

I'd agree hector - eccentric stretching it's called. It's hugely beneficial.

There are a variety of problems cause achilles tendonitis:
- bad running GAIT(ie the way your foot strikes the ground puts undue pressure on your achilles) This could potentially be rectified by appropriate footwear.
- bad conditioning - your calf muscles are not strong enough
- poor trainers

It all depends on your circumstances but eccentric stretching is the way to go.

Get stretching, get your trainers checked out and get to a physio.

illdecide

Quote from: The Gs Man on March 03, 2009, 06:19:03 PM
Your right chief!  hung up the boots 2 years ago, in my prime....

Gonna have to give the physio a shout now.  Don't want to be turning into a fat mess like illdecide!

:D :D Right thats it G's man i'm going to your bar on Friday night and i'm gonna wreck it