Selective video evidence

Started by cadhlancian, February 23, 2009, 03:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 23, 2009, 07:04:13 PM
It was more than 'silly'. Using that logic, the Galvin/Paddy Russell affair was 'silly'. How long did Galvin get?

And if it hadn't happened during the league game before the 2 week gap, he would have missed more that one game, even with just a 4-week ban.

Again, back to video evidence, whilst it might not be ideal, it's a vicious circle - when the evidence is there, you can't ignore it. There are ups and downs in having your county's games on the TV!

Maguire01 I'm suprised after you calling for McMenamin to be suspended numerous times and wanted video evidence used that you haven't been on about Rory Woods tonight after the footage shown on Sunday Sport. Firstly I want to point out that I dont want to see him suspended becasue what he did was stupid not dangerous. However using your logic throughout the McMenamin case he should be done for kicking the Kildare player on the ground twice. I think it was Darren Hughes who should also be in trouble after dropping his knee on a player on the ground. Your keeper could be in trouble but I think he should get off ok. Not much reaction to the incidents on here.

Maguire01

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on March 15, 2009, 10:06:21 PM
It was more than 'silly'. Using that logic, the Galvin/Paddy Russell affair was 'silly'. How long did Galvin get?

And if it hadn't happened during the league game before the 2 week gap, he would have missed more that one game, even with just a 4-week ban.

Again, back to video evidence, whilst it might not be ideal, it's a vicious circle - when the evidence is there, you can't ignore it. There are ups and downs in having your county's games on the TV!

Maguire01 I'm suprised after you calling for McMenamin to be suspended numerous times and wanted video evidence used that you haven't been on about Rory Woods tonight after the footage shown on Sunday Sport. Firstly I want to point out that I dont want to see him suspended becasue what he did was stupid not dangerous. However using your logic throughout the McMenamin case he should be done for kicking the Kildare player on the ground twice. I think it was Darren Hughes who should also be in trouble after dropping his knee on a player on the ground. Your keeper could be in trouble but I think he should get off ok. Not much reaction to the incidents on here.

I'd have no argument if video evidence was used in either case. I wouldn't want to lose either player, but both incidents were very unsporting and unnecessary - especially since both of these players had great games otherwise. It's not nice to see and if they're pulled up on these incidents, then they've no argument.

Tyrone Dreamer

As I've said I dont think Woods should be suspended. Similar to McMenamins I don't believe there was a lot of intent in what he did, it was just silly. There was a bit more in the Hughes incident though. The anti Tyrone lot are very quiet tonight when there's incidents involving other county players. If the incidents had been in the Tyrone game there would be a 10 page thread with insult after insult.

What way did Monaghan play today? Was suprised enough to see them defeated but Kildare are obviously an improving team. Even at this stage that Monaghan Derry game looks like being a real cracker come championship. There's going to be a few great weeks in Ulster with it followed by Tyrone Armagh. Did Damien Freeman play today?

Maguire01

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on March 15, 2009, 10:38:26 PM
As I've said I dont think Woods should be suspended. Similar to McMenamins I don't believe there was a lot of intent in what he did, it was just silly. There was a bit more in the Hughes incident though. The anti Tyrone lot are very quiet tonight when there's incidents involving other county players. If the incidents had been in the Tyrone game there would be a 10 page thread with insult after insult.
As i've said in previous threads on the McMenamin case, it was the Tyrone posters who kept those threads on the front page!

What way did Monaghan play today? Was suprised enough to see them defeated but Kildare are obviously an improving team. Even at this stage that Monaghan Derry game looks like being a real cracker come championship. There's going to be a few great weeks in Ulster with it followed by Tyrone Armagh. Did Damien Freeman play today?
Monaghan had a very poor start and Kildare cleaned up midfield. Did well to go in at half time only 5 down. A lot of mistakes throughout the match and an awful referee didn't help the flow of the game either. No doubt though, Kildare are a good side and deserved their win.
Freeman started but was substituted (in the second half if i remember correctly).

Mike Sheehy

Woods doesn't have Mcmenamin's "previous" which is why his actions arent siezed upon as much.

StGallsGAA

QuoteWoods doesn't have Mcmenamin's "previous" which is why his actions arent siezed upon as much.

So its not the incident itself but your reputation that needs to be considered?  Very fair!  In that case McMenamin, Galvin, Geraghty etc would be on a continuous "rolling" suspension! lol

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on March 16, 2009, 02:44:24 AM
Woods doesn't have Mcmenamin's "previous" which is why his actions arent siezed upon as much.

Oh right so when a player does something on the pitch people research their history and then decide whether its appropriate to give them abuse on here? For example I'm sure Rory Woods has been sent off a few times in recent years including a 3 month ban received after from a league semi game in 2005. Would people have decided these sendings off didnt count? Are you sure the different treatment of the players wasn't something to do with Ricey being a high profile Tyrone player?

I again want to point out that I don't want to see Woods suspended and enjoy watching him play. However, based on what everyone said on here in the Ricey case Woods kicked a Kildare player on the ground twice. Personally due to the force used I would count it more as a stupid act and let it go. Wonder if it had been Ricey would it have been as quiet on here.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 15, 2009, 10:54:12 PM
As i've said in previous threads on the McMenamin case, it was the Tyrone posters who kept those threads on the front page!

Monaghan had a very poor start and Kildare cleaned up midfield. Did well to go in at half time only 5 down. A lot of mistakes throughout the match and an awful referee didn't help the flow of the game either. No doubt though, Kildare are a good side and deserved their win.
Freeman started but was substituted (in the second half if i remember correctly).

I would agree. How he didn't issue straight reds to the Monaghan keeper, full back and Woods is beyond me. In addition how numbers 2, 9 and 10 weren't removed from the fray with yellow cards is also shocking.

I would support the use of video evidence to suspend all three Monaghan men.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

cornafean

Quote from: saffron sam2 on March 16, 2009, 11:24:12 AM
How he didn't issue straight reds to the Monaghan keeper, full back and Woods is beyond me.
...and me.  The goalie's shoulder charge on the Kildare forward was a disgrace.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

Quote from: cornafean on March 16, 2009, 11:33:59 AM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on March 16, 2009, 11:24:12 AM
How he didn't issue straight reds to the Monaghan keeper, full back and Woods is beyond me.
...and me.  The goalie's shoulder charge on the Kildare forward was a disgrace.

Absolutely....and to see Doyle got yellow carded for a harmless hand on shoulder.
Croke Park needs to pay more attention to getting referees to enforce the existing rules and fair play than dreaming up newer rules for referees to half inplement half ignore and make a balls of.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maguire01

I'd use that video evidence to give a free out way before the tackle. Count the steps taken by #10 before the pass to #14!

But yes, it was a brutal tackle.

joemamas

To call it a tackle is being very generous. I always thougt a tackle involved going for the ball. It was a  (dangerous)cheap shot. End of story

Tyrone Dreamer

Any more word on the Monaghan incident? Are the gaa going to be consistent and use video evidence?

Tyrone Dreamer

It seems you can depending on were the player is from and how high profile the incident was. I take it no action was taken against Woods or Hughes then? Tyrone have a right to be angry about the selective use of video evidence if this is the case.