U2

Started by 5 Sams, February 07, 2009, 11:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigfella

Quote from: High Wide and Handsome on July 29, 2009, 11:37:58 AM
was on u2 on sat nite. i got down to the side of the stage where the pit was and still left early. i was at springsteen 2 weeks before and he was twice the show. bono ruined it for me. i came to listen to him sing some of the unreal songs the man has wrote down the years i did not go to listen to a political detabe and listen about chinese and far eastern affairs. all i wanted was good music not a spin off from the bbc news channel.

i wouldnt be near a u2 concert again simply due to this fact. if bono wants to save the world, do it when we arent paying to watch and listen to him sing.

i was in the auld dubliner before the concert in the temple bar. there was a shaven head man playin and i got more enjoyment from him than u2. sad to say but thats the way it was.

springsteen for president

Biggest lie I have heard on this board in a long time  ::) Bono didn't preach until about halfway though the show, even then it was only for few minutes here and there. By that time it was an amazing show, I and expect loads more people, could overlook it. As another person pointed out, it was to be expected of him anyway so why go in the first place?

Springsteen on the Saturday night was pathetic, probably through no fault of his own. The weather caused loads of people to leave early or stand outside in shelter. The sound was the worst I have heard at a gig ever.

belleaqua

'Springsteen on the saturday night was pathetic' Bit of an oversensitive U2 fan here i suspect. Admittedly the sound was not the best on the saturday but no different to U2 in Croker a few years back. Sunday night all was put right for what was a phenomonel concert.

Over 2 nights in Dublin Springsteen performed 59 songs in total - 44 of them different! U2 in Barcelona two nights in a row played 44 songs in total with virtually the same setlist both nights. Dublin not much different.

I had to laugh when I read in the paper last week, 'U2 will begin with Breathe and finish with Moment of Surrender', Id love to see the day a Springsteen set can be predicted with such ease.

I turned down a U2 ticket after Springsteen's shows in the RDS and because im sick of hearing about International Space Stations, Burma and 'The Claw'. Its all about this stage. What about the music?? its an attraction gimmick of the highest order-a complete hype machine. For me the notion that Springsteen and U2 are comparable live is laughable at this stage

ziggysego

Apparently they bought a package of northern crisps at the Spar shop in Drumquin, Co. Tyrone last week.  ::)
Testing Accessibility

thebigfella

Quote from: belleaqua on July 30, 2009, 12:11:34 PM
'Springsteen on the saturday night was pathetic' Bit of an oversensitive U2 fan here i suspect. Admittedly the sound was not the best on the saturday but no different to U2 in Croker a few years back. Sunday night all was put right for what was a phenomonel concert.

Over 2 nights in Dublin Springsteen performed 59 songs in total - 44 of them different! U2 in Barcelona two nights in a row played 44 songs in total with virtually the same setlist both nights. Dublin not much different.

I had to laugh when I read in the paper last week, 'U2 will begin with Breathe and finish with Moment of Surrender', Id love to see the day a Springsteen set can be predicted with such ease.

I turned down a U2 ticket after Springsteen's shows in the RDS and because im sick of hearing about International Space Stations, Burma and 'The Claw'. Its all about this stage. What about the music?? its an attraction gimmick of the highest order-a complete hype machine. For me the notion that Springsteen and U2 are comparable live is laughable at this stage

As I said probably through no fault of his own (and I never commented on Sunday), but then again it's easy to pick and choose parts of a sentence to get a reaction. I'm not being oversensitive, I just thought the post was a blatant lie to provoke a reaction and I called it. Personally I'm a huge Springsteen fan but as I said it was the most pathetic concert I have ever been too, they couldn't even fill the pit as they had guys running around the RDS offering passes. People were complaining about people standing up and dancing in the stands and don't get me started on the some of the crowd (as muppet pointed out an obnoxious bunch - same sort of cocks who think Gareth Brookes is class).

lurganblue

i hear that U2 tribute band i was listening to in the big tree are quite well know (not surprisingly). anyone know the name of the band by any chance?

muppet

Groan. What difference does a varied set list to the one off concert goer? And as for the number of songs played compare the song lengths of Springsteen's songs on your iPod with U2's and in particular No Line on the Horizon. Moment of Surrender is 7 1/2 minutes long for example. And who cares anyway?

'What about the music?' I would every one of the 240,000 people who attended U2 were there for the music.

If you don't like U2 just say it.
MWWSI 2017

CĂșig huaire

Quote from: lurganblue on July 30, 2009, 01:24:52 PM
i hear that U2 tribute band i was listening to in the big tree are quite well know (not surprisingly). anyone know the name of the band by any chance?

Mofo
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

High Wide and Handsome

Quote from: thebigfella on July 29, 2009, 10:15:01 PM
was on u2 on sat nite. i got down to the side of the stage where the pit was and still left early. i was at springsteen 2 weeks before and he was twice the show. bono ruined it for me. i came to listen to him sing some of the unreal songs the man has wrote down the years i did not go to listen to a political detabe and listen about chinese and far eastern affairs. all i wanted was good music not a spin off from the bbc news channel.

i wouldnt be near a u2 concert again simply due to this fact. if bono wants to save the world, do it when we arent paying to watch and listen to him sing.

i was in the auld dubliner before the concert in the temple bar. there was a shaven head man playin and i got more enjoyment from him than u2. sad to say but thats the way it was.

Biggest lie I have heard on this board in a long time  ::) Bono didn't preach until about halfway though the show, even then it was only for few minutes here and there. By that time it was an amazing show, I and expect loads more people, could overlook it. As another person pointed out, it was to be expected of him anyway so why go in the first place?

Springsteen on the Saturday night was pathetic, probably through no fault of his own. The weather caused loads of people to leave early or stand outside in shelter. The sound was the worst I have heard at a gig ever.

what exactly you saying was a lie?

i was at bruce on the sunday night. was unreal!
"Swing er over!"

belleaqua

Quote from: muppet on July 30, 2009, 01:45:46 PM

Groan. What difference does a varied set list to the one off concert goer? And as for the number of songs played compare the song lengths of Springsteen's songs on your iPod with U2's and in particular No Line on the Horizon. Moment of Surrender is 7 1/2 minutes long for example. And who cares anyway?

'What about the music?' I would every one of the 240,000 people who attended U2 were there for the music.

Am, Outlaw Pete is over 8 minutes long my friend. Rosalita, For You, Spirit in the Night, all performed are over 7 minutes long and regularly performed. Jungleland 9 minutes long, performed on the Sunday. Many of Springsteen's songs throughout his career received little radio play due to their length. The man played for 3 hours and 15 minutes on the Sunday but only 3 hours on the Saturday.

As for ur experience of the Saturday night? they were handing out pit passes which were all snapped up. I had numerous friends who couldnt get into the pit.

I like some U2 songs and admittedly am not a big fan. I got to see them in Croker in 05 and enjoyed it, they are an excellent band live. I do however think they are overhyped live and not comparable live to the E Street Band

muppet

Quote from: belleaqua on July 30, 2009, 09:59:42 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 30, 2009, 01:45:46 PM

Am, Outlaw Pete is over 8 minutes long my friend. Rosalita, For You, Spirit in the Night, all performed are over 7 minutes long and regularly performed. Jungleland 9 minutes long, performed on the Sunday. Many of Springsteen's songs throughout his career received little radio play due to their length. The man played for 3 hours and 15 minutes on the Sunday but only 3 hours on the Saturday.

As for ur experience of the Saturday night? they were handing out pit passes which were all snapped up. I had numerous friends who couldnt get into the pit.

I like some U2 songs and admittedly am not a big fan. I got to see them in Croker in 05 and enjoyed it, they are an excellent band live. I do however think they are overhyped live and not comparable live to the E Street Band

TBH I thought the sound was poor in 2005 but was much better with 'the claw' this time.
MWWSI 2017

thebigfella

Quote from: High Wide and Handsome on July 30, 2009, 05:06:41 PM

The whole I left early because Bono ruined it for me mock protest, IMO I think your exaggerating a little  ::)  I could not care less if you left because you thought they were sh1te, to be honest thats your opinion and i'm sure others will agree with you. Though as a number have people have pointed out, why go if you knew what to expect from Pope Bono Vox? 

High Wide and Handsome

Quote from: thebigfella on July 31, 2009, 01:13:53 AM
Quote from: High Wide and Handsome on July 30, 2009, 05:06:41 PM

The whole I left early because Bono ruined it for me mock protest, IMO I think your exaggerating a little  ::)  I could not care less if you left because you thought they were sh1te, to be honest thats your opinion and i'm sure others will agree with you. Though as a number have people have pointed out, why go if you knew what to expect from Pope Bono Vox? 

lad i didnt say the concert was sh1te. i just said it was not in the same league as bruce. then again i dont know many concerts that will be to be honest. i just thought the chinese thing etc was annoying and i just got fed up of bono. thats all
"Swing er over!"

mc_grens

Admitedly I am looking at this through E-street tinted glasses, but we're comparing a live act who thrive on leave-no-musical-stone-unturned-balls-to-the-wall-for-3-hour-every-single-let's-make-love-this-as-much-as-we-do gigs, versus one who are touring Europe with a gimic stage obviously designed to get the most out of playing in American baseball stadiums and European fans be damned.

I've seen U2 5 times now and the Boss 8 times. My Top 5 gigs are ALL Springsteen ones. Including one Seeger Sessions gig!

The E Street band are by far the more competent musically and use this to get people involved in and feel part of the show- witness the stump the band section of the show, where in the US the band played requests for other peoples songs off the cuff! Outside of the politically motivated claptrap the U2 shows are very low on audience involvement. Bruce may be as hokey as it gets, but as Anthony Hopkins keeps telling us in the Sky Movies ads "So what? Life is hokey"!

muppet

Quote from: mc_grens on July 31, 2009, 09:53:49 AM
Admitedly I am looking at this through E-street tinted glasses

So post on the Springsteen thread. And please mention that his Sat night was awful. Meanwhile U2 Sat was awesome. Fair enough the weather wasn't Bruce's fault but neither was it U2's. If you want to post how great you think Bruce is start a thread or post on his earlier thread. Don't be the scouser on the manc thread.
MWWSI 2017

thebigfella

Quote from: muppet on August 01, 2009, 12:41:47 AM
Quote from: mc_grens on July 31, 2009, 09:53:49 AM
Admitedly I am looking at this through E-street tinted glasses

So post on the Springsteen thread. And please mention that his Sat night was awful. Meanwhile U2 Sat was awesome. Fair enough the weather wasn't Bruce's fault but neither was it U2's. If you want to post how great you think Bruce is start a thread or post on his earlier thread. Don't be the scouser on the manc thread.

Agreed, in fact pathetic as I have said. I'm a fan but that was the biggest let down ever.