The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fermanaghandsam

From BBC

Liverpool are set to sign Charlton's highly rated 18-year-old midfielder Jonjo Shelvey after the League One club gave them permission to hold talks.

Shelvey travelled to Merseyside on Tuesday and has already undergone a medical, with the Merseysiders set to pay an initial £1.7m fee.

The England youth international has made 48 appearances for the Addicks since making his debut aged just 16.

Anyone know much about him. Good to see us buying young british players but.

AZOffaly

Gas to see names like Leonel, Christiano, Fernando etc floating about, and LFC go buy a John Joe.

Great stuff :)

The Worker

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 27, 2010, 09:23:00 PM
Gas to see names like Leonel, Christiano, Fernando etc floating about, and LFC go buy a John Joe.

its jonjo

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Fermanaghandsam on April 27, 2010, 09:19:51 PM
From BBC

Liverpool are set to sign Charlton's highly rated 18-year-old midfielder Jonjo Shelvey after the League One club gave them permission to hold talks.

Shelvey travelled to Merseyside on Tuesday and has already undergone a medical, with the Merseysiders set to pay an initial £1.7m fee.

The England youth international has made 48 appearances for the Addicks since making his debut aged just 16.

Don't know an awful lot about him other than he turned down an approach to play for Ireland. He's supposed to be a great prospect. We'll see!

J70

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on April 27, 2010, 10:14:57 PM
From BBC

Don't know an awful lot about him other than he turned down an approach to play for Ireland. He's supposed to be a great prospect. We'll see!

Liverpool have been stuffing their reserves with prospects for the last five or six years. How many have broken through to become first team regulars (or even regular substitutes)?

Insua, N'Gog maybe...
Pacheca is starting to make a push. Ayala got a game the other night. There's a few others like Spearing and Kelly and El Zhar who've made the odd appearance, but they're not exactly Arsenal when it comes to bringing these youngsters through.

Gerrard is the last top class player Liverpool developed. That was ten years ago. I'm not saying that any of the other top sides, Arsenal aside are much better, but at least they're spending their money to buy top class first team players.

ross4life

Quote from: J70 on April 28, 2010, 12:02:33 AM
From BBC

Gerrard is the last top class player Liverpool developed. That was ten years ago. I'm not saying that any of the other top sides, Arsenal aside are much better, but at least they're spending their money to buy top class first team players.

What made you Think Arsenal have Developed more players? in truth most of these young players are foreign imports brought over so they could get professional contracts

How much of the current Arsenal Squad are home grown players? (Gibbs came from Wimbledon academy, Ramsey Cardiff City & Theo Walcott Southampton)

United on the other hand have about 11 players from the current squad that came through there youth team

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

J70

Quote from: ross4life on April 28, 2010, 12:46:12 AM
Quote from: J70 on April 28, 2010, 12:02:33 AM
From BBC

What made you Think Arsenal have Developed more players? in truth most of these young players are foreign imports brought over so they could get professional contracts

How much of the current Arsenal Squad are home grown players? (Gibbs came from Wimbledon academy, Ramsey Cardiff City & Theo Walcott Southampton)

United on the other hand have about 11 players from the current squad that came through there youth team

I was including players bought young - 16-17 etc, like this Charlton lad Liverpool are apparently after. That was my point - very few of the ones Liverpool have bought, in addition to whatever academy players they bring through, have made it. And United, well yes, I suppose you have Fletcher and O'Shea and the likes, but there haven't been any top class players like Scholes or Beckham in a long time (you'll correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure!). I wouldn't put Fletcher in that class, but he has been excellent this year to be fair. But how many of those youngsters like Wellbeck and Macheda and Rafael and so on will go on to be star players like Scholes or Gerrard or Fabregas? Most of the top sides will have some of these young lads on the bench, but they'll eventually move on to lesser premiership teams or championship sides.

AZOffaly

Quote from: The Worker on April 27, 2010, 10:00:33 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 27, 2010, 09:23:00 PM

its jonjo

I know it is, but it's pronounced John Joe. So I'm delight with that. It'll be savage if one day i'm at Anfield shouting 'Go On John Joe'.

It'll be like a Junior B game in Daingean.

bingobus

John Joe is more of an Arsene Wenger typr signing than Rafa has made before. In past he has gone for 16/17 year olds with no experience or first team football. They then get stuck in the reserves and some come onto the radar and others don't.

Johnjoe has had two seasons in Carltons first team squad and has scored 8 goals in 48 appearances. You'd expect him to go into the first team squad rather than the reserves or maybe spend some time on loan at some point.

Regarding Rafa's youth buys, some of them would be coming to maturity and in fairness if 3/4 make it or are sold at good money, then it is a good start.

Kelly and Pacheo to me are most likely to be future first team players. Spearing will prob be a good championship level player and will get the club a few quid. Nemeth should feature as a squad player next year after a year on loan where he was a regular. San Jose will prob be sold (€3m rumoured to be agreed at start of loan) after a year on loan at Ath Bilbao where he was a regular at CH. Ayala will stay and could come good as a CB. Darby will prob be sold, as will threfall, eccelstone and one of the keepers for smaller sums. They've all done well on loan at lower league clubs.

If you can get 2 squad players a year from your academy and 1 exceptional player every two years, I think you'd be doing well. None have fitted this bill yet but I think in this year or next we'll get back on track.

AidyMac

was watching a clip of the reserves last night on the telly and saw a young fella playing called Irwin.  Think he was the captain

He looked impressive.  Anyone know much about him?

bingobus

Quote from: AidyMac on April 28, 2010, 10:29:58 AM
was watching a clip of the reserves last night on the telly and saw a young fella playing called Irwin.  Think he was the captain

He looked impressive.  Anyone know much about him?

Steven Irwin, is a reliable full back by trade. Played on the youth winning teams in the past and has been a regular for the reserves this year. Well thought of and has played alot in CM this year. Very steady and consistent. Likely to go on loan next year as his next step and see how he does.

brokencrossbar1

Quotehttp://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/lfc-sign-england-youth-ace

LFC sign England youth ace

Charlton Athletic's England youth international Jonjo Shelvey will join Liverpool on May 10.

The 18-year-old has passed a medical and agreed personal terms after the two clubs yesterday agreed a fee. Liverpool will pay an initial £1.7m with further potential payments depending on domestic and international appearances.

Shelvey became Charlton's youngest player when he made his first-team debut against Barnsley at Oakwell in April 2008 at the age of just 16 years and 59 days. He is also the club's youngest FA Cup and league goalscorer.

He has made 48 appearances and scored eight goals for The Addicks and is an established England U17 international.   

Liverpool's Managing Director Christian Purslow said: "Jonjo is an exciting young England international. His signing is part of our long-term strategic recruitment plan and we all look forward to welcoming him to Melwood."

The two clubs are also in talks to develop a strategic partnership involving the development of players in both directions as a result of the transfer.

Charlton Athletic plc chairman Richard Murray said: "It is with the greatest reluctance that we have accepted an offer for Jonjo from Liverpool.

"No club likes to lose such a talented prospect, but the overall package is one we couldn't refuse, and one which was very attarctive to Jonjo.

"Liverpool are going to develop him over the next few years to be a top player, and I can't think of a better place for him to go to."

I like this part of the arrangement, the likes of Ecclestone, Amoo and the other good reserves can be loaned out for a season with a guarantee of good quality coaching as Charlton have a good youth system. 

Time to start thinking about tomorrow night, Kuyt and N'Gog likely to be out with Babel probably as striker with Aqua man behind him and Gerard centre midfield.  Early goal vital.  Liverpool to win 3-1.

bingobus

If Kuyt and Ngog are missing (very likely by looks of it), I think the team will pick itself with little room for switches.

Pepe
Johnson Cara The Greek Agger
          Lucas Masch
Gerard     Aquaman       Benny
             Babel.

Subs: Keeper, Degen, Ayala, Pacheo, ?????, ?????, ?????? maybe Skrtel.

Little options or choice at the minute. If Kuyt starts, I'd expect Aquaman to miss out.

If Kuyt is even 75% fit I'd expect him start actually.

Boycey

Quote from: bingobus on April 28, 2010, 02:17:28 PM
If Kuyt and Ngog are missing (very likely by looks of it), I think the team will pick itself with little room for switches.

Pepe
          Lucas Masch
             Babel.

Little options or choice at the minute. If Kuyt starts, I'd expect Aquaman to miss out.

Could Pool not play that team with Cilla Black etc in it tomorrow night  and leave this impressive line up til Sunday

Please..... :-[

bingobus

Quote from: Boycey on April 28, 2010, 02:42:35 PM
Quote from: bingobus on April 28, 2010, 02:17:28 PM

Pepe
          Lucas Masch
             Babel.

Could Pool not play that team with Cilla Black etc in it tomorrow night  and leave this impressive line up til Sunday

Please..... :-[

Cilla and all the other Liverpool legends in Sundays team meet in the Adelphi for Celebrity Bingo on a Thursday night....not a chance they'd miss it.