The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: Bingo on December 11, 2013, 05:05:03 PM
Quote from: supersub on December 11, 2013, 05:00:44 PM
Shane Long is not the answer. Tired of buying possible/potential/bit part players. Not consistent enough. We need proven Premier League and above quality players whatever the position may be we are looking for. As for Suarez being a marked man....hasn't been marked very well if so. Sturridge was in top form before he was injured and hopefully will be when he returns. You can just disregard these two players like that. We desperately need at least two top end midfielders, not some young prospect from Norway who played well in a couple of u21 games or the like.

This, All this. Shane Long isn't the answer and I even dread to ask the question. A good player but not whats needed, throwing more money away on a player of that level.
Who said he be the answer? 
I think he would be a good addition to the squad. As someone said he is PL ready unlike the likes of Aspas who who has struggled. He can score goals and can also play a bit.
No one is saying he is the missing piece of the jigsaw and the man who will propel us to the title but he certainly imo anyway be more than a good addition to the squad/team.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Mikhailov

Lads, not once did I say Shane Long was the answer but he would be a good addition for the squad - if Suarez or Sturridge got injured I would rather have Long at 6M as the deputy than either Aspas (6M), Alberto (6M) or Borini (10M). That is what I said and I also considered that we do not have the finances to spend big on 4 players every window. If we had finance then the 4 players we need would of course be top end Euro players but we don't have the cash. We have to buy within our means - therefore the idea of Long is not so bad.

If you say to me that we had 100M to spend then the scenario switches to players like Sneijder, Pedro, Khedira, Pastore, Marchisio, Lewandoski, Diego Costa and the likes but do you think these guys would sign as squad players - somehow I don't think so....

Bingo

I'd be as happy to stick with Aspas it borini than shell out another 6m on long plus wages. The reality is we need to spend money on first team starters than are quality, spending 6m on long only will eat unnecessarily into the budget as its clear their is only a certain amount in the pot.

By all accounts long may have been the option rather Aspas in summer but when bought he looked alot better than he has shown so far. But I'd also bet than Aspas is cheaper than long would have been or would be.

laoislad

Quote from: Bingo on December 11, 2013, 07:24:33 PM
I'd be as happy to stick with Aspas it borini than shell out another 6m on long plus wages. The reality is we need to spend money on first team starters than are quality, spending 6m on long only will eat unnecessarily into the budget as its clear their is only a certain amount in the pot.

By all accounts long may have been the option rather Aspas in summer but when bought he looked alot better than he has shown so far. But I'd also bet than Aspas is cheaper than long would have been or would be.
Did you ever hear the saying "Buy cheap buy twice"  ;)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Bingo

Quote from: laoislad on December 11, 2013, 07:41:53 PM
Quote from: Bingo on December 11, 2013, 07:24:33 PM

Did you ever hear the saying "Buy cheap buy twice"  ;)

Only in the days where'd I'd visit exotic dancing public houses  :-)

God14

It's worth pointing out Aspas has made 7 appearances for Liverpool & all of them were out of position. He has made a disappointing start, but think some men a bit harsh in him here.
I'd like to see him play as out & out striker for a few games, and also see what sort of belief a goal would bring.

supersub

Quote from: laoislad on December 11, 2013, 05:19:41 PM
Quote from: Bingo on December 11, 2013, 05:05:03 PM
Quote from: supersub on December 11, 2013, 05:00:44 PM
Shane Long is not the answer. Tired of buying possible/potential/bit part players. Not consistent enough. We need proven Premier League and above quality players whatever the position may be we are looking for. As for Suarez being a marked man....hasn't been marked very well if so. Sturridge was in top form before he was injured and hopefully will be when he returns. You can just disregard these two players like that. We desperately need at least two top end midfielders, not some young prospect from Norway who played well in a couple of u21 games or the like.

This, All this. Shane Long isn't the answer and I even dread to ask the question. A good player but not whats needed, throwing more money away on a player of that level.
Who said he be the answer? 
I think he would be a good addition to the squad. As someone said he is PL ready unlike the likes of Aspas who who has struggled. He can score goals and can also play a bit.
No one is saying he is the missing piece of the jigsaw and the man who will propel us to the title but he certainly imo anyway be more than a good addition to the squad/team.

Quote from: Mikhailov on December 11, 2013, 06:11:52 PM
Lads, not once did I say Shane Long was the answer but he would be a good addition for the squad - if Suarez or Sturridge got injured I would rather have Long at 6M as the deputy than either Aspas (6M), Alberto (6M) or Borini (10M). That is what I said and I also considered that we do not have the finances to spend big on 4 players every window. If we had finance then the 4 players we need would of course be top end Euro players but we don't have the cash. We have to buy within our means - therefore the idea of Long is not so bad.

If you say to me that we had 100M to spend then the scenario switches to players like Sneijder, Pedro, Khedira, Pastore, Marchisio, Lewandoski, Diego Costa and the likes but do you think these guys would sign as squad players - somehow I don't think so....

No but you suggested buying him and mentioned the word squad player. You are missing my point. We don't need anymore squad players, our first xi is made up of squad players!! We need starting xi players to boost our midfield and attack, then the players we have now become our squad players ie Henderson, Allen, Lucas, sterling, Moses, Aspas etc. most of these wouldn't get near Arsenal, Chelsea, City and arguably utds first team on a regular basis. What's the point buying players of the same sort of standard (albeit maybe a different position) all the time? It happened with Benetiz and we ended up with a raft of squad players.

NAG1

United are in exactly the same position at the moment, a raft of squad players making up their mid field, Felaini was not the answer as he did not bring something to the table that wasnt already at the club. Should always be looking to improve what you have instead of just replicating it.

supersub

Utd (RVP) won the league with this raft of players though! They have depth even if the players arent as strong as previous squads. An example of this is Zaha, if he was a Liverpool player he would have probably started the majority of our games, he has hardly had a sniff at Utd. Having said that they are playing terrible and need to majorly invest in new blood, the same as us!

NAG1

Quote from: supersub on December 12, 2013, 11:10:17 AM
Utd (RVP) won the league with this raft of players though! They have depth even if the players arent as strong as previous squads. An example of this is Zaha, if he was a Liverpool player he would have probably started the majority of our games, he has hardly had a sniff at Utd. Having said that they are playing terrible and need to majorly invest in new blood, the same as us!

True enough, but at the same time, I dont think Moyes fancies him brought him on the other night when the game was gone and all he did was run down blind alleys and turn the ball over. But maybe with a run of games he would be OK, I would give him a shot ahead of Young or Nani at the minute. New investment needed all round.

AZOffaly

Would Zaha really have started the majority of games for LFC this season? I tend to think not. He's similar to a Raheem Sterling type from what I've seen, although a bit more physically imposing.

rodney trotter

It was Ferguson who signed Zaha after all and not Moyes. His attidude would probay need to improve too. Saying stuff on twitter about having an affair with Moyes daughter and then denying it.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: rodney trotter on December 12, 2013, 12:01:37 PM
It was Ferguson who signed Zaha after all and not Moyes. His attidude would probay need to improve too. Saying stuff on twitter about having an affair with Moyes daughter and then denying it.

Did he really say that?? Jeez never knew that. Thought it was all rumours...

rodney trotter

Never actually said it, but he denied it. There must be something into it as he hasn't had a look in.

supersub

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 12, 2013, 11:53:59 AM
Would Zaha really have started the majority of games for LFC this season? I tend to think not. He's similar to a Raheem Sterling type from what I've seen, although a bit more physically imposing.

Yeah and Sterling started most games up to Xmas last season before other matters took over! Zaha is much more direct and goal threat than Sterling. Sterling won't win a game on his own, Zaha potentially can. Yeah he would have probably because Suarez was out, Henderson was unproven and there was no one who could have claimed a definite starting position at the start of the season (apart from Gerrard & Sturridge).