The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mentalman

Liverpool co-op dream gains momentum
Wednesday, 27 August 2008 14:18

The Liverpool fan group who want to buy the club will tonight get backing for their dream from sports minister Andy Burnham.

The MP for Leigh, a life-long Everton fan, will put aside cross-city allegiances to back ShareLiverpoolFC's dream of co-operative ownership of the Anfield club, eventually ousting American co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

Burnham will speak at a meeting prior to the Champions League qualifier with Standard Liege, at the Liverpool Lighthouse pub near the stadium.

Also speaking will be officials of the Spirit of Shankly fans organisation to emphasise the solidarity of Liverpool supporters' groups behind the scheme.

ShareLiverpoolFC founder member Dr Rogan Taylor will also address the meeting, aimed at re-establishing the group publicly as the current Liverpool owners try to raise money to re-finance their own loans as well as the £400m needed to build a new stadium.

Taylor, director of the Football Industry Group at Liverpool University, said: 'We want to make sure everyone realises that we are serious and intend to be around and ready whatever happens.'

Taylor believes that financial pressures will soon call into question once again the Americans' ability to continue as owners and prompt more interest from Dubai-based investors, who have been waiting in the wings to mount another takeover bid.

Taylor continued: 'Whoever takes over the club, they are going to need a local partnership. We are here to stay, and have people signed up to help and support the plans we have.

'We want to be around when the next roll of the dice comes, and that could be very soon.'

ShareLiverpoolFC have what many observers see as a romantic, if distant, aim of running the club, but are realistic enough to know that may not be their initial involvement.

'We will be ready, we have a data-base of people willing to help and we could say, 'we want 10 per cent now' so let's talk,' Taylor explained.

ShareLiverpoolFC has re-launched their website and want the 28,000 fans who had initially registered their interest, to sign up again.

The grand idea is to have 100,000 people pledging £5,000 to create a financial base to fight for control of the club.

Currently the group have 9,500 who have signed up, another 9,000 who have registered interest but cannot afford £5,000, plus a further 9,000 who want to be kept informed.

Taylor added: 'There is a long way to go, but we believe we can have a genuine impact. You can't score a goal if you are not on the pitch, and we are certainly on the pitch as players.'

It is believed that ShareLiverpoolFC have held exploratory meetings with possible Dubai investors and members of the previous Anfield hierarchy.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0827/liverpool1.html
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

gawa316

Quote from: Mentalman on August 27, 2008, 01:26:39 PM
He's started the season at some lick, but the reason now seems to be apparent.

What does that mean?

AZOffaly

Maybe he's trying to engineer a move. Put himself in the shop window.

Mentalman

Quote from: gawa316 on August 27, 2008, 03:39:02 PM

What does that mean?

I suspect he's playing out of his skin in an effort to secure a move away from Newcastle?

Mentalman

Quote from: Mentalman on August 27, 2008, 03:41:13 PM

What does that mean?

I suspect he's playing out of his skin in an effort to secure a move away from Newcastle?

In a similar vein to players in the last year of thier contract who all of a sudden up their effort.

gawa316

What does that mean?

Oh right get ye now.

As for this takeover by the fans, surely if the yanks won't sell to DIC why would they sell to them? Are they offering more money?

Mentalman

Quote from: gawa316 on August 27, 2008, 03:46:52 PM

What does that mean?

Oh right get ye now.

As for this takeover by the fans, surely if the yanks won't sell to DIC why would they sell to them? Are they offering more money?

Nah, their initial interest is in getting some sort of stake in the club and taking it from there. The yanks are going to get it tight to refinance, so they hope to offer cheaper credit for some percentage of the club. Even at that I doubt the Americans would go for it, as apart from everything else anyone developing a controlling stake would make the club less attractive to a potential buyer when the inevitable sale comes about...unless they become very desperate. As for DIC, I doubt they would want or need partners.

Over the Bar

What you lads betting on tonite?  I took Liverpool to win 5-0 cos they'll undoubtedly hammer them, its just guessing the correct scoreline!

AZOffaly

5-0? The way LFC played a fortnight ago, and against the two North East bucks,  I'd be happy with 1-0 to the Reds.

Mentalman

Quote from: Over the Bar on August 27, 2008, 05:17:24 PM
What you lads betting on tonite?  I took Liverpool to win 5-0 cos they'll undoubtedly hammer them, its just guessing the correct scoreline!

I'm just hoping they don't get an away goal and put Liverpool out. Would take any sort of win right now.

J70

One would normally expect a 3-0 win or something, but they really have been poor in the first three games of the season. They should win, but a shock is far from beyond the realms of possibility.

gawa316

Reina, Arbeloa, Aurelio, Carragher, Skrtel, Gerrard, Alonso, Benayoun, Kuyt, Torres, Keane.
Subs: Cavalieri, Dossena, Agger, Plessis, Spearing, El Zhar, Babel.

Just Aurelio in for Dossena then...anyone else shitting themselves?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: gawa316 on August 27, 2008, 07:13:32 PM
Reina, Arbeloa, Aurelio, Carragher, Skrtel, Gerrard, Alonso, Benayoun, Kuyt, Torres, Keane.
Subs: Cavalieri, Dossena, Agger, Plessis, Spearing, El Zhar, Babel.

Just Aurelio in for Dossena then...anyone else shitting themselves?

Happy to see Aurelio play...
Yes I have something smelly in me jocks alright
You'll Never Walk Alone.

gawa316

Will the rte w**ks slag us as much, now we have Keane?

ExiledGael

RTE should be going to town on this no matter who's on.
Fair few soiled garments at this stage I'd say.
Tie should be dead and buried.