Would you want to win the Lotto?

Started by SidelineKick, January 06, 2009, 05:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidelineKick

I often find myself saying "it would be unreal to win the lotto" etc etc but when it comes to the crunch would you really want to win the lotto? If so how much would you think is ample?

The thing I always though about was that its only you that wins it.  Your friends and famly all still have their 9-5s so you cant jet off whenever you want (unless by yourself).  Then there is there possibility of the mess it could cause in terms of "who gets how much".

There are a hell of a lot of pros but do the cons come anywhere near them?
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

illdecide

I'd go to Amsterdam with it...lol

Only messin. On a serious note i'd sure like to try it out
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

full back

I would take a chance on it

Maguire01

I never do it myself. To be honest though, in terms of winning, i think it would be great just to get enough to have a nice house with no mortgage. Then you could enjoy your salary without the 'fuss' of being a big winner.

D4S

Of course there would be plenty of cons, but I think I could live with them...money worries can get you down bigtime!

I'd be happy to win my club gaa lotto which sits at around £7000 at the minute, as it would definitely take me and my new wife to AUstralia for a month this summer.  If I won £200000 that would be amazing as I could pay off my mortgage, keep my same job and give my mum a bit to clear hers.  If I won a million I would be trying to clear my siblings mortgages also, and maybe the in-laws too.  If I won 2million I'm sure I wouldn't be long getting rid of it either!  Point is unless it's 3million or more I don't know if would change things too radically apart from you would be able to live an extremely comfortable life.  But you can easily get rid of a few million nowadays.....

I'd still be happy with my £7000 in the club draw I think!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

heganboy

trust me- I'd be fine with it....
about $8m would be enough to live very comfortably while still allowing the underlying sum to grow, and that assuming exorbitant spending from the wife. I don't think I'd retire though.
Retirement money would be closer to $25m because then you would have enough money to actually work on something constructive without worrying about the impact on your finances, and whether you'd need to go back to work if it all went wrong.
It was believe it or not Cindy Crawford who coined the phrase "f**k you money" which she said at the time (early 90s) was $50m... If it were 92 then thats closer to $100m now. Basically if someone says do something you have enough cash to say "f**k you"...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Tankie

I can never work out why somebody wouldnt want to win the lotto.
Grand Slam Saturday!

full back

Quote from: Tankie on January 06, 2009, 05:41:23 PM
I can never work out why somebody wouldnt want to win the lotto.

Do you work tankie?
If so, why?

The Real Laoislad

I don't think you'll find anyone who will say they don't wanna win it..
Of course I would like to win it too,but I don't think I could give up working or running a business if i won.
I couldn't see myself doing nothing and only going on holidays and lazing around a huge mansion.I personally would have to keep working in some way.
I would expand my own company to levels I can't even dream of reaching at the moment because of lack of finance,and I have ideas that I would like to try and new avenue's Id like to explore and the money would be a huge help in that way
I would also give a good chunk to Irish charities and I would also make sure my family were financially secure for the rest of their days.
Oh and I might splurge some on a Aston Martin  :)
€10 million be a nice round figure to win..
You'll Never Walk Alone.

SidelineKick

Thats another point I had forgot about, which charities would you give to? How much would you give? Would you give equal amounts to each one? Why give to some and not others?

If you won €10m how much would your family and close friends be expecting? Would some of them take the huff because they got less than others?

Ps. I would obviously like to win it myself but it is a much more complex issue. Likewise I would have to work at something, couldnt lie about all day every day. Soon gets tiresome.

Reported.

full back

Quote from: SidelineKick on January 06, 2009, 05:52:18 PM
Ps. I would obviously like to win it myself but it is a much more complex issue.

It isnt complex at all sk FFS  :D

stiffler

Thats another point I had forgot about, which charities would you give to? How much would you give? Would you give equal amounts to each one? Why give to some and not others?

If you won €10m how much would your family and close friends be expecting? Would some of them take the huff because they got less than others?

Ps. I would obviously like to win it myself but it is a much more complex issue. Likewise I would have to work at something, couldnt lie about all day every day. Soon gets tiresome.

Also- if you won the lotto would you go public about it? people are obviously gonna ask questions if you keep it private, however the threat of kidknapping etc will be fierce!

No point worrying about this to you win??!!

GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

SidelineKick

Quote from: full back on January 06, 2009, 05:54:24 PM
Ps. I would obviously like to win it myself but it is a much more complex issue.

Fckin sure it is, I don't wanna be kidnapped!  :D

We'll see how happy you are then FullBack when you're sitting with tens of millions in your bank account. You will be a saddened man  :P

Reported.

full back

Quote from: SidelineKick on January 06, 2009, 05:57:33 PM
Quote from: full back on January 06, 2009, 05:54:24 PM

Fckin sure it is, I don't wanna be kidnapped!  :D

We'll see how happy you are then FullBack when you're sitting with tens of millions in your bank account. You will be a saddened man  :P

I would take the chance on that
Sitting back, surrounded by my harem ;)

The Real Laoislad

If I won something like the Euromillions €160 million or something like it I would love to buy a lower division soccer club in England and run it as a business...
How much is Leeds United worth at this stage? I'm sure I'd have change out of €5 million  :)
You'll Never Walk Alone.