What would you do?

Started by pintsofguinness, November 22, 2008, 02:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Just reading a thread over on football365 - some lad seen a mugging and just kept on walking.
I've always wondered about this, you see incidents on the news when a gang set upon someone in an area with plenty of people and no one seems to step in, if there's CCTV footage you'll see people standing around watching someone get their head kicked in. 

My question, you're walking home, you see someone getting the head bate of them, what would you do?

I like to think I'd step in. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

imtommygunn

It's an interesting one.

I heard that thought recently when reading that on the Lisburn road at 6 o'clock one evening in rush hour a woman was "car jacked". She was standing in the middle of the road in a state and it took quite a while for anyone to stop for her.

It seems human nature in a lot of instances to just sit idly by and watch.

In the case of a mugging you have to be wary of putting yourself in danger but personally I'd like to think I'd have enough in me to help someone in trouble out. You never know till you're in the situation though.

The Real Laoislad

What if there are 2 or 3 lads doing the bating?
If Im honest unless I knew the victim I wouldn't step in,There are loads of incidents where someone who has gone to help somone ends up getting killed themselves...
You'll Never Walk Alone.

youngfella

tricky one unless (forbid) your put in that position its very hard to know what you'd do.
Pull hard and early

pintsofguinness

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 22, 2008, 02:23:22 PM
If Im honest unless I knew the victim I wouldn't step in,There are loads of incidents where someone who has gone to help somone ends up getting killed themselves...

There's loads of incidents where people have been killed while others watched and done nothing, I think I'd rather die than not do anything for some poor sod.  What if it was you that was attacked in the street, how would you feel if you seen people standing around watching as punches and kicks rained down on you?

ardal

Been there, done that. You end up getting your head kicked in. Stopped a lad in Belfast beating the feck out of his woman once, they then both turned on me. Another time in the Holy lands, one of the girls in our company got hit, we chased after the 2 little feckers, rounded a corner and there were 20 youngsters waiting, we didn't get out of that one very well either

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 22, 2008, 02:30:11 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 22, 2008, 02:23:22 PM

There's loads of incidents where people have been killed while others watched and done nothing, I think I'd rather die than not do anything for some poor sod.  What if it was you that was attacked in the street, how would you feel if you seen people standing around watching as punches and kicks rained down on you?

I hear what your saying Pints but it might not always be some poor old sod getting a kicking a lot of the time the person getting the kicking would be just as capable of giving a kicking himself...
I know there are innocent victims too but unless I knew the person I wouldn't get involved,maybe that makes me look like a coward but at the end of the day I don't want to wake up in a hospital or maybe even a morgue because I got stabbed or headbutted for helping someone I didn't know
You'll Never Walk Alone.

pintsofguinness

QuoteStopped a lad in Belfast beating the feck out of his woman once,
Yeah I've been there, though he ran away. 

QuoteI hear what your saying Pints but it might not always be some poor old sod getting a kicking a lot of the time the person getting the kicking would be just as capable of giving a kicking himself...
I know there are innocent victims too but unless I knew the person I wouldn't get involved,maybe that makes me look like a coward but at the end of the day I don't want to wake up in a hospital or maybe even a morgue because I got stabbed or headbutted for helping someone I didn't know
Well it's highly unlikely you'd be wakening up in a morgue! There's no point in saying the victim might be capable of giving a kicking himself because you just don't know. 
So would you do nothing LL? Walk past it and go home and go to bed?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 22, 2008, 02:41:24 PM
QuoteStopped a lad in Belfast beating the feck out of his woman once,
Yeah I've been there, though he ran away. 

QuoteI hear what your saying Pints but it might not always be some poor old sod getting a kicking a lot of the time the person getting the kicking would be just as capable of giving a kicking himself...
Well it's highly unlikely you'd be wakening up in a morgue! There's no point in saying the victim might be capable of giving a kicking himself because you just don't know. 
So would you do nothing LL? Walk past it and go home and go to bed?

Well I'm not going to lie pints and Im not going to be all bravado and say yeah I'd jump in and kick their heads in like Im sure some here will pretend..
If i saw it happening I would ascess the sitiuation and if i thought it was a innocent victim and lets face it pints sometimes it wouldn't be too hard tell if the victim was a sc**bag himself or not then yes I might help out,If it was a woman I would help no questions asked and If i knew the person of course I would help but if it was a male stranger I would have to see first
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Puckoon

fair play LL I wouldn't want to wake up in a morgue either.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Puckoon on November 22, 2008, 03:06:24 PM
fair play LL I wouldn't want to wake up in a morgue either.

Ah f**k off ye know what I meant  :D
As my Ma use to say to me when I was out climbing trees as a younglad
"If you fall and break your leg don't come running to me"
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

FL/MAYO

Quote from: ardal on November 22, 2008, 02:34:46 PM
Been there, done that. You end up getting your head kicked in. Stopped a lad in Belfast beating the feck out of his woman once, they then both turned on me. Another time in the Holy lands, one of the girls in our company got hit, we chased after the 2 little feckers, rounded a corner and there were 20 youngsters waiting, we didn't get out of that one very well either

Same thing happened me in New York, a sc**bag was beating his wife up, knocking her head of the ground in front of their kid. I stepped in to break it up and both of them came after me, you try to do the right thing and nearly end up with a kicking yourself. Still glad I stepped in though.

Puckoon

Pints I believe that you would step in, but you would prefer to donate to an animal charity than a human one?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Puckoon on November 22, 2008, 03:56:56 PM
Pints I believe that you would step in, but you would prefer to donate to an animal charity than a human one?
Yeah, I like animals more.  I'd step in if it was an animal being kicked around too.