All Ireland Club Hurling Championship

Started by youbetterbelieveit, November 20, 2008, 11:23:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on March 21, 2010, 06:19:45 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 20, 2010, 12:59:01 PM
Quote from: Asal Mor on March 20, 2010, 12:20:26 PM
Reillers I was probably a bit over the top with my last post but it seems you view things from whatever angle will take some of the gloss off Kilkenny's All-Irelands.
I agree that Waterford '07 and Tipp '08 would probably have given Kilkenny better games but they weren't good enough to win their semi-finals so i would say that makes the point irrelevant. I don't think either had a real chance of beating Kilkenny. What if Kilkenny had beaten Galway in that freakish semi of 05? Would Cork still have won? It doesn't matter of course because they didn't.
And yeah Kilkenny play it tough but I don't see any problem with that. It's like Cody said when asked if Tommy Walsh "played on the edge". He said that he'd hate to think Tommy Walsh didn't play on the edge. They aren't dirty though.
I do tend to get carried away.

Tell me about it. Remember the time you called Bob Honohan (your clubmate and erstwhile colleague) 'not very nice' - it was a terrible slur on a fine servant to Cork GAA..

I've told you to stop posting personal information about me online, do it again and I will report you, over and over again, how many more times.
(Irellevant to the fact that for some reason, you're obsessed with thinking that that's the club I'm from, which I never said it was.)

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on March 21, 2010, 07:33:38 PM
Quote from: heffo on March 21, 2010, 06:19:45 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 20, 2010, 12:59:01 PM
Quote from: Asal Mor on March 20, 2010, 12:20:26 PM
Reillers I was probably a bit over the top with my last post but it seems you view things from whatever angle will take some of the gloss off Kilkenny's All-Irelands.
I agree that Waterford '07 and Tipp '08 would probably have given Kilkenny better games but they weren't good enough to win their semi-finals so i would say that makes the point irrelevant. I don't think either had a real chance of beating Kilkenny. What if Kilkenny had beaten Galway in that freakish semi of 05? Would Cork still have won? It doesn't matter of course because they didn't.
And yeah Kilkenny play it tough but I don't see any problem with that. It's like Cody said when asked if Tommy Walsh "played on the edge". He said that he'd hate to think Tommy Walsh didn't play on the edge. They aren't dirty though.
I do tend to get carried away.

Tell me about it. Remember the time you called Bob Honohan (your clubmate and erstwhile colleague) 'not very nice' - it was a terrible slur on a fine servant to Cork GAA..

I've told you to stop posting personal information about me online, do it again and I will report you, over and over again, how many more times.
(Irellevant to the fact that for some reason, you're obsessed with thinking that that's the club I'm from, which I never said it was.)

You'll report me over and over again?

Did you ever apologise to Bobby for what you said?

awfulynice

Quote from: Reillers on March 20, 2010, 07:22:55 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on March 20, 2010, 01:40:44 PM
Reillers the fact that you champions (ie munster champions) can't beat Kilkenny should tell you the current strength of the Munster championship.

Limerick- no team at present
Clare- div 2 outfit.
Tipp - a fine side
Cork - still a good side not as good as they used to be
Waterford- a good side

versus

Kilkenny- the best ever
Galway- a fine side
Wexford- a div 2 outfit
Dublin- a decent side
Offaly - a decent side

The alleged strength of the current Munster championship harps back to the 80's and 90's. thats the bottom line. I attend 3 Munster championship games every year for the last 20-25 years. I therefore am well versed to compare the two provinces and the current Munster championship isn't in a hapenny place to previous times. Its just not even close.
You're out of date on this one. Tipp v Cork in recent championship encounters has had all the cut and thrust of a seance compared to the late 80's.

I disagree with you but I did say Munster from a few years ago. 4/5 I think it was I said. Never mind about now and I still believe that Munster still is stronger, I never said a word about way back when, and I made the point not to.

Over the last few years you can't deny that Munster was more competitive than Leinster. By far.

I mean even saying it now, every team in Munster could beat every team in Leinster, obviously not Kilkenny and some not Galway.
Whatever way the standard might have dropped as you said in Munster, it's still better than Leinster, even with Galway being brought in.

Every team in Munster could beat every team in Leinster...so you think that Limerick & Clare could beat Galway, Dublin, Wexford & Offaly....not a flipping hope im afraid. Actually go along to the Limerick Offaly match next weekend, because if Limerick are in the same form as they were this weekend i think we can take the two points.

Reillers, INDIANA has it spot on, there are currently 3 top teams in Munster, definately 2 in Leinster, but first of all a mention on the state of the leinster and munster championships.

I reckon that this year there will be an extremely competitive leinster championship, You have KK trying to recover from indifferent league form, Galway with the Portumna outfit back, Wexford with all their injured players back can give a game to most, Dublin trying to build on their achievements last year and an offaly side trying to salvage some pride after an indifferent couple of years. On the munster side you have Limerick - on strike, Cork doing really well, Waterford doing well, Tipp doing well and Clare doing ok. Depending on the draw it will be a Tipp / Cork - Waterford final...and id wager tipp waterford. In leinster Id probably say KK and any one of the other four teams....not because the leinster championship is easy for KK, but because they are unbeaten in the all ireland for 4 years ffs!!

Reillers

Quote from: awfulynice on March 22, 2010, 08:48:32 AM
Quote from: Reillers on March 20, 2010, 07:22:55 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on March 20, 2010, 01:40:44 PM
Reillers the fact that you champions (ie munster champions) can't beat Kilkenny should tell you the current strength of the Munster championship.

Limerick- no team at present
Clare- div 2 outfit.
Tipp - a fine side
Cork - still a good side not as good as they used to be
Waterford- a good side

versus

Kilkenny- the best ever
Galway- a fine side
Wexford- a div 2 outfit
Dublin- a decent side
Offaly - a decent side

The alleged strength of the current Munster championship harps back to the 80's and 90's. thats the bottom line. I attend 3 Munster championship games every year for the last 20-25 years. I therefore am well versed to compare the two provinces and the current Munster championship isn't in a hapenny place to previous times. Its just not even close.
You're out of date on this one. Tipp v Cork in recent championship encounters has had all the cut and thrust of a seance compared to the late 80's.

I disagree with you but I did say Munster from a few years ago. 4/5 I think it was I said. Never mind about now and I still believe that Munster still is stronger, I never said a word about way back when, and I made the point not to.

Over the last few years you can't deny that Munster was more competitive than Leinster. By far.

I mean even saying it now, every team in Munster could beat every team in Leinster, obviously not Kilkenny and some not Galway.
Whatever way the standard might have dropped as you said in Munster, it's still better than Leinster, even with Galway being brought in.

Every team in Munster could beat every team in Leinster...so you think that Limerick & Clare could beat Galway, Dublin, Wexford & Offaly....not a flipping hope im afraid. Actually go along to the Limerick Offaly match next weekend, because if Limerick are in the same form as they were this weekend i think we can take the two points.

Reillers, INDIANA has it spot on, there are currently 3 top teams in Munster, definately 2 in Leinster, but first of all a mention on the state of the leinster and munster championships.

I reckon that this year there will be an extremely competitive leinster championship, You have KK trying to recover from indifferent league form, Galway with the Portumna outfit back, Wexford with all their injured players back can give a game to most, Dublin trying to build on their achievements last year and an offaly side trying to salvage some pride after an indifferent couple of years. On the munster side you have Limerick - on strike, Cork doing really well, Waterford doing well, Tipp doing well and Clare doing ok. Depending on the draw it will be a Tipp / Cork - Waterford final...and id wager tipp waterford. In leinster Id probably say KK and any one of the other four teams....not because the leinster championship is easy for KK, but because they are unbeaten in the all ireland for 4 years ffs!!

Ok take a deep breath and read my post again.
And I do believe that on form every Munster team could beat the weaker Leinster ones. And the better 3 in Munster could be Galway and even KK on their day.
Leinster was a walk in the park for Kilkenny for the last few years, whether it'll be the same this year and so on is another question.
I thought I made it kinda clear that (and for the 3rd time) I was talking about in the past FOUR/FIVE.

Milltown Row2

Well that time of the year again, the county finals being sorted out over the coming weeks.

Who are the runners?

Can Ballyboden make the breakthrough this year?

Will Loughgiel hurl better than the Last time

Will Ballyhale and Portumna make a return?

What team will come out of Munster? De La Salle? Thurles Sarsfields? (getting beat at the minute by the way)

A team with first class players but have failed to win the Munster Championship, and after getting beat today won't this year!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

deiseach

De La Salle are out, beaten by Ballygunner yesterday.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: deiseach on October 03, 2011, 02:32:43 PM
De La Salle are out, beaten by Ballygunner yesterday.

Aye seen that result, but Ballygunner are still a decent team all the same, by all accounts the team that played Sarsfields weren't  in the same class.

But we managed to beat Dunloy this year in the championship and were unlucky to be beat by Cushendall in the semi finals by a point.

Year of the underdog?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GalwayBayBoy

Down to the quarter-finals in Galway.

Gort v Loughrea
Portumna v St Thomas
Carnmore v Craughwell
Clarinbridge v Mullagh

deiseach

Psychologically I think DLS would have been a better bet for Waterford to win the All-Ireland title. They don't have any hang-ups in Munster (two appearances in the last three years, two victories). Ballygunner, on the other hand, have plenty of hang-ups. I read a story in the early Noughties about a Ballygunner man extracting a promise on his deathbed from those around him that they'd win the Munster title. Now, I'm sure every club has stories like that. I've even got one of my own, of sorts. But the story explains why I don't rate Ballygunner's chances into the spring

GalwayBayBoy

Portumna beaten by St Thomas' in Galway.

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

INDIANA

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 02, 2011, 03:54:11 PM
Well that time of the year again, the county finals being sorted out over the coming weeks.

Who are the runners?

Can Ballyboden make the breakthrough this year?

Will Loughgiel hurl better than the Last time

Will Ballyhale and Portumna make a return?

What team will come out of Munster? De La Salle? Thurles Sarsfields? (getting beat at the minute by the way)

A team with first class players but have failed to win the Munster Championship, and after getting beat today won't this year!!

Boden have no chance without keaney and hiney in my view.

gallsman

Was up at KevinLynch's-Loughiel match today. Awful, awful game. KL looked very lethargic playing for the third time in a week and Liam Hinphey must have been playing injured, he could barely run at all. Loughiel were full value for a 15-point win yet still managed to look distinctly average. May even struggle to win Ulster, although they were admittedly playing within themselves.

GalwayBayBoy

Last year's AI winners Clarinbridge were nearly beaten in Galway as well. Were lucky to get a draw against Mullagh apparently. Draw for semis already made.

Gort v St Thomas's
Craughwell v Clarinbridge or Mullagh

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 09, 2011, 11:36:28 PM
Last year's AI winners Clarinbridge were nearly beaten in Galway as well. Were lucky to get a draw against Mullagh apparently. Draw for semis already made.

Gort v St Thomas's
Craughwell v Clarinbridge or Mullagh
Clarinbridge were haunted - any bit of composure at all from Mullagh would have seen them home.  Replay is on next weekend.