Changing jobs?

Started by lawnseed, January 25, 2012, 07:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

playwiththewind1st

Handed in my resignation this morning! I'm off @ end of February.

screenexile

Am I missing something or is it not madness to be resigning your job in the middle of a recession if you've nothing else lined up??!!

ardal

Quote from: screenexile on January 27, 2012, 08:14:57 PM
Am I missing something or is it not madness to be resigning your job in the middle of a recession if you've nothing else lined up??!!

Was just thinking the same.

Lawnseed has packed in the job and is going to see a careers advisor at some later point. I hope they laugh you out of the office. What type of gobshite resigns before seeking advice, never mind the fact that we're in a thing called a recession.

lawnseed

thanks for your concern sceen. i can find work quite easily. have something in pipe. theres no harm in seeing a careers adviser, who nowadays wants to do the same thing for their whole life? new things come along, i've been prudent in my borrowings.. i think nows the time. there are thousands of unfilled vacancies in various fields all you have to do is train up.
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

thebigfella

Quote from: lawnseed on January 28, 2012, 11:42:08 AM
thanks for your concern sceen. i can find work quite easily. have something in pipe. theres no harm in seeing a careers adviser, who nowadays wants to do the same thing for their whole life? new things come along, i've been prudent in my borrowings.. i think nows the time. there are thousands of unfilled vacancies in various fields all you have to do is train up.

How much training do you need to flip burgers in McDonalds?

sammymaguire

People always need to eat.  ;D
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Tony Baloney

Is there sweetcorn in it?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 28, 2012, 01:43:50 PM
Is there sweetcorn in it?

Possibly wacky baccy in it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lawnseed

i'm over 40 lads i'm in no doubt what a recession is. when i left school my first wage was 100 a week. at the time my mate got a job in a local agric. store carrying bags of meal and sweeping up. it was a hot topic of conservation in this area.. how did he get IN to that handy job. who did he know? it was finally decided that his father had run up a huge bill and my mate was actually just paying it off. ::) he was getting 55 a week! fair enough some of you dont think its a good time to change jobs.. maybe some of you are fulfilled at what you are doing.. i don't understand why anyone would want to have a pop at someone trying to improve themselves

gerrykeegan

Goodman Lawnseed, I sat in an exam hall this morning for the first time in about 15 years, I'm 44, I decided I would like a change of direction so I am back in college. Funny enough there was  a man in the exam hall that looked like he was in his late 50's
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Ulick

Fair play lawnseed, been in the same job for 10 years now and the last three have been a nightmare. Wish I had the balls to pack it in but don't think it could swap it for the stress of worrying about the mortgage and family. 

lawnseed

Quote from: gerrykeegan on January 28, 2012, 05:51:44 PM
Goodman Lawnseed, I sat in an exam hall this morning for the first time in about 15 years, I'm 44, I decided I would like a change of direction so I am back in college. Funny enough there was  a man in the exam hall that looked like he was in his late 50's
thats what i'm hoping to do gerry, train up a bit and see what happens. alot of the jobs that are on offer now didnt even exist when i was at college and alot of what i did learn is obselete so i actually need to refresh.. learn something a little more relevant. ffs at our secondary school we only had one computer and i never got to use it the teacher used to turn it off and on and wait alot everything was on floppys. :-[

ardal

Any body hear about evening college? Apparently it let's you study whilst you still work. There's another called open university.

Or jack in the job, lose the house, wife and kids on the street

lawnseed

Quote from: ardal on January 28, 2012, 09:04:18 PM
Any body hear about evening college? Apparently it let's you study whilst you still work. There's another called open university.

Or jack in the job, lose the house, wife and kids on the street
you mean you actually conned some girl into marrying you :P :P

WaterBoy

Quote from: lawnseed on January 28, 2012, 08:58:43 PM
Quote from: gerrykeegan on January 28, 2012, 05:51:44 PM
thats what i'm hoping to do gerry, train up a bit and see what happens. alot of the jobs that are on offer now didnt even exist when i was at college and alot of what i did learn is obselete so i actually need to refresh.. learn something a little more relevant. ffs at our secondary school we only had one computer and i never got to use it the teacher used to turn it off and on and wait alot everything was on floppys. :-[

Lawnseed, if you don't mind me asking, what line of work are you in at the minute?  Have you an idea of what kind of job you would like to get into?
Mama says that foos-ball is the devil