Changing jobs?

Started by lawnseed, January 25, 2012, 07:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed

anyone just peed off doing the same thing all the time? tired of the same shite? fancy a change? its not so easy as the miles clock up. once you cross the 40 mark people expect you to spend the next 25 years doing what you do.. i'd like a change.. but with a family to support this needs to be carefully planned. has anyone done a reggie perrin? just pulled the plug? what constitutes a good job nowadays? where are the jobs? anything to do with building is a non-starter. 
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Tony Baloney

Quote from: lawnseed on January 25, 2012, 07:07:13 PM
anyone just peed off doing the same thing all the time? tired of the same shite? fancy a change? its not so easy as the miles clock up. once you cross the 40 mark people expect you to spend the next 25 years doing what you do.. i'd like a change.. but with a family to support this needs to be carefully planned. has anyone done a reggie perrin? just pulled the plug? what constitutes a good job nowadays? where are the jobs? anything to do with building is a non-starter.
I'd like to jack it in for something less stressful (like the Civil Service  ;)) but I couldn't take any less dough so options are limited!

maco

This is exactly the situation I am in at the minute. I have been my present job for the last 11 years and am fed up with it at the minute. I really would love a change and I have something in mind. It means being self employed but has good returns in the long term. Sometimes I just think I'll go for this new venture, but there is a little nagging doubt in my mind that I'd be mad to leave a fairly secure job with decent pay and good holidays. I don't fancy another 30 odd years of it though!

lawnseed

25 more years.. same same.. what about all this renewable energy stuff theres bound to be jobs at that.. going round putting up wind turbines.. that would be interesting or servicing them who does that

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lawnseed on January 25, 2012, 07:57:20 PM
25 more years.. same same.. what about all this renewable energy stuff theres bound to be jobs at that.. going round putting up wind turbines.. that would be interesting or servicing them who does that

Why don't you put up flags around Ravenhilll, be a great job for you, righting wrongs and all that ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Puckoon

With such a delightful disposition you could easily make the transfer to school caretaker or dinner lady or something like that?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Puckoon on January 25, 2012, 11:05:47 PM
With such a delightful disposition you could easily make the transfer to school caretaker or dinner lady or something like that?

There is plenty of cross community work out there, he could make the world (Norn Iron) a better place. His ability to see the wrong on both sides and his insight to the problems these hard done by communities have will be a great help  :D :D

Good money in it and all the paramilitaries have that game sewn up so he may get a chance
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: lawnseed on January 25, 2012, 07:07:13 PM

Maybe you could start a commune and "share" those 25 acres you own....you know, practice what ya preach and all...

screenexile

I was in your position this time last year lawnseed. Worked my ass off for over a year in the hope I would have some scope for moving up but it never materialised. I hated the job and the ones I worked for so just decided I'd had enough.

Had my CV prepared and just as I was about to start hitting the job websites I rang one of the local businesses. I knew people who worked there and none had a bad word to say and lucky enough when I rang the owner he had something going and I handed in my notice 2 days later. Never looked back since and I love where I am at the minute.

My advice would be speak to people about where they are working and see what they think of it. If it seems like something you can do then give somebody a call!

front of the mountain

I agree with Screenexile its not what you know at the minute, it who you know gets the job!

I dont mind my job but still stuck on same wage from day 1, employers have you by the balls at minute if you lucky enough to have a job! There is a consensus you feel like you cant rock the boat just keep the head down!

screenexile

It's a feckin disgrace!!! The last company I was with hadn't given a payrise to anyone since 2007 yet opened a fully refurbished office in Belfast along with taking on approximately 10 new staff yet when anyone mentioned a payrise they were actually laughed at . . . They can do what they want because if you don't want to work for the money they pay they will get someone in the door before it's closed behind you!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: screenexile on January 26, 2012, 03:34:15 PM
It's a feckin disgrace!!! The last company I was with hadn't given a payrise to anyone since 2007 yet opened a fully refurbished office in Belfast along with taking on approximately 10 new staff yet when anyone mentioned a payrise they were actually laughed at . . . They can do what they want because if you don't want to work for the money they pay they will get someone in the door before it's closed behind you!!

Fcuk that's bad craic, I got a raise and a bonus at Xmas!!

I really can't complain about work, glad I have it and enjoy what I do. Lucky to be where I am, as my last place (while well paid) was a shite hole, with bosses who'd go out of their way to do you a bad turn rather than work with you.

One thing though I have noticed in my many jobs of the years, the great jobs never last :(

lawnseed

meeting a careers adviser next week. packing these shower in today. no chance of progression, no chance of more money. carrying numties who couldnt run a piss up in a brewery.. enough is enough. i actually feel relieved. the look on their faces.. carlsberg just dont it.  ;)

Maguire01

Quote from: lawnseed on January 27, 2012, 10:43:53 AM

meeting a careers adviser next week. packing these shower in today. no chance of progression, no chance of more money. carrying numties who couldnt run a piss up in a brewery.. enough is enough. i actually feel relieved. the look on their faces.. carlsberg just dont it.  ;)
I can imagine. Something like this?