Doire v Mhuineacháin 24/5/09

Started by Oakleafer93, April 27, 2009, 12:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMohan

This is going to be a tight game!

We've a rash of injuries and niggles on both sides now!

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: JMohan on May 06, 2009, 04:29:02 PM

I'm not sure if that would necessarily make for a tight game as both would be a massive miss for Monaghan..

Lockhart is one of the finest man-marking defenders I have witnessed but reckon he's been struggling with form this past two seasons...

GrandMasterFlash

Why was Mark Lynch not playing for Bannagher in the SFC on Monday night? Is he injured or was it a *star* game thus not allowing him to play?

billy the kid

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on May 06, 2009, 04:58:44 PM
Why was Mark Lynch not playing for Bannagher in the SFC on Monday night? Is he injured or was it a *star* game thus not allowing him to play?

No such thing as Star games in Derry, club games are much to important to all concerned. wasnt aware he hadnt been playing but you can take it he was injured as there is no way any player in Derry, or anywhere im sure, would miss a club championship game otherwise.
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

Oakleafer93

Quote from: cameltohill on May 06, 2009, 11:22:40 AM
Quote from: Oakleafer93 on May 05, 2009, 03:11:33 PM
cameltohil, I'm not on HoganStand I read it but don't post on it.

sure oakleaf93, and lavey will lift the john mclaughlin this year  ;)

Honest to God I'm not I'd admit it if I was.

Main Street

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on May 06, 2009, 04:53:56 PM
Quote from: JMohan on May 06, 2009, 04:29:02 PM
I'm not sure if that would necessarily make for a tight game as both would be a massive miss for Monaghan..
Exactly, there is no other way to read it.

Though Lennon did look a long way of his game physically against Cork, the last thing he needed was an injury to hamper training.
Hopefully as JMohan says, he is alright.

Maguire01

I'd be hopeful that Lennon will find his form again for the Derry game. He's a very important player for Monaghan. If it is a confidence thing, i don't think McElkennon making his views public is very helpful.

GrandMasterFlash

I dunno Maguire01, I read the article and thought that the 'meeja' took it out of contest slightly (for change). I thought McElkennon was just telling it how it is. The headline of the article is more dramatic than the contents.. I'll quote it for reference..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
McElkennon voices concern over Lennon form

06 May 2009

Monaghan coach Martin McElkennon has admitted he's been concerned by star midfielder Eoin Lennon's recent dip in form.

The Latton O'Rahillys clubman has been a focal figure for the Farney County in past seasons, which have saw Seamus McEnaney's charges reach an Ulster final and an All-Ireland quarter-final, as well as recently achieving promotion to the top tier of the NFL, after losing the Division Two decider to Cork last month.

However, McElkennon believes that much Lennon's loss of form comes down to the fact that he no longer training with the county squad week in, week out as a result of being based in Liverpool, where he is completing a teacher training course at John Moores' University.

"It's definitely been harder for Eoin this year," said McElkennon. "It wasn't too bad earlier in the season when he was able to train with the university team during the week, but their season ended a few months ago.

"He comes back on Friday and trains with us over the weekend. I also give him a programme to do when he's in Liverpool.

"It's the best we can do, but ideally you prefer your players to be at home, and while Eoin has worked very hard, his recent performances have probably suffered a bit," he added.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That sorta stuff gets pressed at this time of year in the vacuum between league and championship. I don't think there's much in it altogether and reckon it's better than a 'meeja-ban'  ;) :o

The GAA

Very poor form psychologically for McElkennon to be discussing Lennon's poor form in the papers at this stage.

JMohan

Very funny comment is right! Hardly a great way to boost the fella's confidence?
Why would you say something like that at all unless you simply wanted to have something to say for the media? It's ironic too - because he's supposed to have been flying over to Liverpool to train him once a week. Banty loves the meeja too tho as we all know.

I guess it is better than the meeja ban Monaghan had from last year going into Fermanagh

Cassidy on the other hand has plenty of injury concerns with Pasty Bradley, Mark Lynch, Lockhart and probably one or two others but he's kept it more or less quiet.

Shaping up for a good one.

Stephen O'Neill and Dooher are on the way back too on the other side ...

bingobus

I see Banty is ruling the roast again this year, taking games scheduled for this weekend forward to last night and leaving no more league matches before the Derry game. Star matches just till then. Club games midweek for players doing exams and tarvelling from round country to suit the manager of the county team. I'm all for preparation but most counties have played Championship games at this stage and tough, competitive club games are as good as preparation as you can get. Its good enough for most counties including Derry.

Was at Blayney V Clontibret last night and it was poor stuff. JP, McManus, McGuigan and M Corey among those missing for Clontibret but they still dominated with Anthony Rooney as good as anyone on pitch. Banty in crowd as well. Finished 0-6 a piece.

Oakleafer1993

lads you should not read too much into what the papers say - remember who wrote the article yesterday in the Irish News? Damien Cassidy will playing the "old double think" game right up to the throw in.
I would bet that Lockhart will start or will play al good part in the game. Patsy Bradley would not be starting if Fergal Doc was playing - it will be Muldoon and Doc at mid field.Patsy and Doc are too similarin style of play. Mark Lynch is fine. As for stephen O Neill he has a reoccurrance of the same injury. Riding a mountain bike around gortin will not solve his knee problem.

JMohan

Quote from: bingobus on May 07, 2009, 10:55:58 AM
I see Banty is ruling the roast again this year, taking games scheduled for this weekend forward to last night and leaving no more league matches before the Derry game. Star matches just till then. Club games midweek for players doing exams and tarvelling from round country to suit the manager of the county team. I'm all for preparation but most counties have played Championship games at this stage and tough, competitive club games are as good as preparation as you can get. Its good enough for most counties including Derry.

Was at Blayney V Clontibret last night and it was poor stuff. JP, McManus, McGuigan and M Corey among those missing for Clontibret but they still dominated with Anthony Rooney as good as anyone on pitch. Banty in crowd as well. Finished 0-6 a piece.

Did that Rooney guy walk off the Monaghan panel one year? Then again not hard to shine if there were no county men on show.
Dessie Moen playing?
The Monaghan County Board love Banty anyway by all accounts

bingobus

Quote from: JMohan on May 07, 2009, 11:41:20 AM
Quote from: bingobus on May 07, 2009, 10:55:58 AM

Did that Rooney guy walk off the Monaghan panel one year? Then again not hard to shine if there were no county men on show.
Dessie Moen playing?
The Monaghan County Board love Banty anyway by all accounts

Dessie, Vinny Corey playing for Clont and all players County men playing - strimmer in midfield against Rooney.

Rooney walked/pushed last year early on after an incident in training. Think he can throw towel in at any stage, as he didn't play too much last year with Clontibret either.

JMohan

Quote from: Oakleafer1993 on May 07, 2009, 11:10:38 AM
lads you should not read too much into what the papers say - remember who wrote the article yesterday in the Irish News? Damien Cassidy will playing the "old double think" game right up to the throw in.
I would bet that Lockhart will start or will play al good part in the game. Patsy Bradley would not be starting if Fergal Doc was playing - it will be Muldoon and Doc at mid field.Patsy and Doc are too similarin style of play. Mark Lynch is fine. As for stephen O Neill he has a reoccurrance of the same injury. Riding a mountain bike around gortin will not solve his knee problem.

I think there was a very good chance Patsy would have started going by the performances this year so far in the League, tho I agree they are similar. Patsy is a loss and Muldoon hasn't 70 mins in him. But possibly the biggest loss is Niall McCusker. What about that McGoldrick lad - is he injured?

Can't see Lynch lasting the full 70 either. Conlieth Gilligan was also a steadying influence but wouldn't have had 70 mins in himself either.
As for Lochart - it's only him will know I'd say if he's fit or not.

Funny I thought the guy who worked the hardest last year in the Monaghan match (after Gerard O'Kane) was Raymond Wilkinson who harried all day long and this is what you need against Monaghan. He's not involved this year by all accounts.