Armagh V Kildare

Started by Travis T O Justice, January 29, 2007, 10:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uladh

Overall a disappointing performance. There were a lot of things which just didn't look right about the armagh team yesterday from the moment they took to the field and the lack of leadership was very evident in the second half particularly. mcdonnell will never make captain material but leadership is about much more than the captain.

A difficult start for the younger lads but to be fair they were no worse than the established players. the midfield pairing just didn't work. Earley had a field day in the air and even more particularly from broken play where he wreaked havoc breaking through the centre of armagh's defence. vernon had his moments going forward but that was about it. neither himself nor nippy showed any work rate when armagh hadn't got the ball.

up front armagh were very toothless as expected. i worry about this going forward as there isn't a whole pile of scoring threat to add in the medium term. Marty O'rourke gave away a lot of ball yesterday but i certainly wouldn't have taken him off.... noone else inthe forward line wanted the ball. what is worse... a forward having a bad day who still wins 90% of the ball in his sector or a forward who doesn't make a run, doesn't show any fight for posession nor look half interested in durtying his jersey?

there are quite large problems looming at the back also. Kieran McKeever is a good wing back but he'll never be a 6. yesterday was am instruction manual on how not to play the position. armagh's cetre was an open prarie with kildare pouring through at will. It can be argued that mckeever opted to man mark doyle instead but i saw no evidence of that either. young mcclelland is a tryer without a doubt but i've always thought he's just missing that ingrediant for county football and a little short. i saw no evidence to the contrary yesterday.

I like the look of toner although he was shaky enough yesterday. understandable given its his nfl debut and i think with a year on the panel he can turn into a good county defender. Paudie McCreesh was the brightest spark i thought. a battler to the end he won ball and made tackles all day and is worth an exteded run in the side.

Overall, the wiping out of our midfield and half back line cost the match and arguably the margin didn't do kildare justice. given armagh's inability to get a grip in this sector i found it baffling to see dyas, the best young defender in the county, drifting about aimlessly in the forward line. he obviously had no idea how to play the position he was asked and should have been starting wing back and certainly switched back in the first 10 minutes.

the half back line is going to be very troublesome. there are tougher tests ahead and only mcgeeney offers any possibilty of shoring the centre up but given Joe's determination not to play him things look ominous.

tackle

Uladh If ure looking for an excellent no.6 look no further than aidan o rourke. Mc keever can fill the no.6 jersey eventually though.

Uladh

If only tackle but putting the county team before nepotism looks like its too big of a stretch

bennydorano

What's the story with McGrane? he was fit enough to play out in Dubai.

Didn't get yesterday but I wasn't suprised at the result, like Mr Fearon I thought it could've been worse.  Big Joe was obviously pissed off big time from reading the Irish News report, he read Lavery from the pulpit for getting injured midweek in club training and I assume it was Martin O'Rourke he was getting at with the simple mistakes jibes.

The Difference experience makes was clearly illustrated at CP on Saturday night.

Armamike

Saw enough of McKeever at CHB against Kerry last year to do me a lifetime - acres of space given away. He's a good tight marking wing back though, with a bit of strength that was missing against Kerry in the same game.  

It would have been asking a lot for a very inexperienced and disjointed team to get a result yesterday away from home.  The warning signs are there for the year ahead though. I would like to see Toal tried as a corner forward in an early league game to see how he gets on.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Sandy Hill

Thanks for the report Uladh even though it is laced with some pessimism (realism?). I'm with you on the issue of M O'Rourke; sure he made mistakes but he always gives it a lash which is more than you say about most of the rest of the forwards. Has Kernan a thing about the O'Rourkes? Martin is often substituted during games and Aiden, who would certainly be in my panel, told me recently that he doesn't kow why he was dropped; having him at CHB yesterday and on occasions last year could have helped.
As well as needing more scoring options up front we also have a gap at mid-field; Loughran isn't near the mark and I don't think young Swift is either. I had hopess last year for Mackin but they evaporated.
I know it's only February, but I'm depressed.
"Stercus accidit"

Six Inch Nail

Didn't make the game yesterday but the result doesn't surprise me alot.  The Kildare midfield is very good particuraly Earley and I couldn't see us getting a ball there.  One of the most encourging performances I've seen this year was James Lavery playing midfield for St. Mary's against Armagh, its a pity about the injury he picked up while training for Maghery (good to see he still wants to put it in with his club).  Whats the bets it'll be a while before he gets another go with Armagh!!

I've played against Martin O'Rourke a number of times and he is a nasty piece of work (I don't like him very much).  However, for me he makes the Armagh team every day of the week.  His ability to win hard ball is second to none and he normally uses it fairly well.  I also agree with Sandy Hill that Aidan O'Rourke should still be on the panel.

I would like to see McGrane and Lavery getting a go in midfield (and this is my big hope for the year), but as I said above Lavery could spend the next couple of months licking his wounds on the bench!
Silverbridge Harps GAC, Co. Armagh

Tony Fearon

The most frustrating thing is that you would have bet money on Armagh to win at half time, and I'd say with another ten minutes at the end, they would have gone on to win as well.The two ten minute opening spells at the start of both halves did the damage.Sorry, the balls given away by Martin O'Rourke yesterday were inexcusable (ffs kicking sideline balls and frees under no pressure straight to Kildare men a few yards away!!!).I think Vernon,Swift and Toner definitely have potential, but surely either Mc Geeney or Mc Grane could have been used at some stage yesterday.This was a match that could easily have been won. Kildare didn't impress me at all

Captain Scarlet

jaysus lads Johnny doyle has a field day and the main talking point is the armagh half back line!!

im a kildare man and it kinda annoys me the way JD gets ignored a lot. he is pure class.
he's a good club man too and will score heaos from the midfield for allenwood.

either way though its early days yet. sure we beat ye last year and our fortunes went in different ways in the end!!
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Jack Dempsey

As armagh get progressively worse are we going to get a break from all the armagh supporters on here thinking they can win another all-ireland this century

holylandsniper

Good to see the football back, though somethings yet to change, cold days, good armagh support, inexperienced team, possible mistakes from Joe evident and a poor referee

QuoteSorry, the balls given away by Martin O'Rourke yesterday were inexcusable 
Yes i agree but on number of them occasions he had very little options, the sideline ball for example everyone stood still, yes he made the mistake of giving ball away and probably should have done different but id think no matter where he kicked it he would have lost possession.
Stevie scored good few points, but also missed a few by a good margin too.  Mc Keever got a complete roasting.  Yet Joe made no changes, what was harm in trying big tony mclelland in No.6 after at least 40 mins?
Cant see Joes logic in sticking a 19 yr old who making his debut in No.11 when he rarely plays there at any other team or level, is it a case of well i tried him didn't work bye bye.... i certainly hope not
Micheal O Rourke got hurt in warm up hence the bandage.  Forker was doing well, presume was hurt as he went down shortly before he came off. Paudie MCCreesh and Big toner did very well in defence
What was anyones view on the ref? I thought he was very poor

pintsofguinness

QuoteAs armagh get progressively worse are we going to get a break from all the armagh supporters on here thinking they can win another all-ireland this century
dont be a w**ker jack.

Tony
QuoteWhy the hell didn't Ciaran Mc Keever flatten Doyle, never thought I'd see the day when anyone would take 11 points off him.
I don't think that Ciaran McKeever should be encouraged to act the thug, not that he needs to be encouraged.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

dexter

Heard James Lavery got a knock in a challenge game with his club.  :(

Dinny Breen

Was out of the country so couldn't make this game but wasn't surprised at the result. Aramagh had a very weak side and don't have the strength in dept of a Kerry or a Tyrone. Neither am I surprised that JD scored 11 points, a class act and just unfortunate to be from Kildare in that he doesn't get the recognition his talent deserves. Kildare need to follow this win with an away in Down.
#newbridgeornowhere