Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seamroga in exile

"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

getevennotcross

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on April 19, 2015, 12:52:04 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 19, 2015, 12:09:15 PM
Sie I don't think winning junior and intermediate club all irelands is particularly relevant to how we compete at senior county. Great achievement for clubs but only loughgiel's achievement shows we have guys who can compete with the best of the best. Using that argument too though carlow should expect to be better. Same could be said for them in the football about ten years ago but club is only a smallcross section and one club competing not necessarily reflective of player standards across the county.
the thing is Tommy, apart from the 2013 final every County final has been close and could have went either Way. I believe we have talent in this county to do better than we're doing.

T.I.N.E. - SIE, "Talent is not enough". We have always had talented individuals and I would stress emphasis on individuals

We need more than talent.  What we don't have is resources, player and club buy in, we don't have cohesion or the desire to improve on what we currently have. Too many years on the road experiencing repeated and sometimes heavy defeats I feel has scared us immeasurably. Some of the crushing defeats I believe has created a negative mindset, of which it is difficult to recover from.  Our new young players stepping up to the county panel are well aware of our devastating hurling history, so they don't generally expect to achieve and taste the success which other counties take for granted. Antrim winning Ulster is meaningless and the straight run to the Ulster final, is if anything disrespectful to Down, Derry and Armagh in particular.

We should never be too surprised when Kerry, Carlow, Westmeath, Wexford, Offaly and Laois beat us. Other than the Wexford game this year, we are coming off a run of defeats, not alone this year but also last season too.  Such repetitive defeats have clearly left their mark on the lads, more worryingly the new additions to the panel have not yet had the experience of winning.  Psychologically, the current crop of hurlers know they have under achieved, but for therm there is not benchmark as such to aspire to.

In my personal opinion, for what that's worth, and if I am permitted to have an opinion, I am of the view as a county that our clubs are not prepared to throw in their lot behind either our senior football or hurling teams. For Antrim Senior teams, regardless of which level/league or code they play in, don't have high aspirations or expectation of achievement.  It is not something our players have come to expect other that the pursuit of a county gansey.  For some though, winning a county jersey may be enough!

If we really are serious about improving our lot, we need a real strategy which is measurable and achievable, we need major buy in by all clubs and players in pursuit of the bigger picture.  We also need serious investment in terms of coaches, and I mean real coaches. 

However, if our young people could experience and taste success achieved by senior hurlers/footballers, they may one day have a greater desire and aspiration to want to develop and eventually play for the county.  Talented young people are not silly, they will strive to follow in the footsteps of the giants of the game in their own county, who have achieved success.  Therein lies our problem, presently there is no catalyst for our young people!

Milltown Row2

That made a lot of sense
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Personally i also believe some of the hammerings we have gotten have contributed very negatively. Last year we were doing great in leinster group stages winning all the games building a winning mentality. The next step was to start competing with the likes of offaly and wexford. Wexford then hammered us leaving us realising we're as far away as ever. Personally i found it one of our most disappointing defeats of the last 15-20 years and do wonder has that had an impact mentally. It wasn't the scoreline it was the fact they were on a completely different level.

Those things are bound to take their toll.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on April 19, 2015, 12:52:04 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 19, 2015, 12:09:15 PM
Sie I don't think winning junior and intermediate club all irelands is particularly relevant to how we compete at senior county. Great achievement for clubs but only loughgiel's achievement shows we have guys who can compete with the best of the best. Using that argument too though carlow should expect to be better. Same could be said for them in the football about ten years ago but club is only a smallcross section and one club competing not necessarily reflective of player standards across the county.
the thing is Tommy, apart from the 2013 final every County final has been close and could have went either Way. I believe we have talent in this county to do better than we're doing.

Last year was a poor championship, prob as poor as ive seen. In fact the year before that was only slightly just better.

I always like to believe that we have a vibriant tough club scene but truth be told it isnt really.In the past 14 years Loughgiel have been in the final 10 times, Cushendall 9 times, Dunloy 7 times with Ballycastle, St Galls, Rossa and Cushendun all have 1 appearance each.

That shows you that its just been a period of domination by 3 clubs and if you go back 10 years before that Dunloy have 6 appearences and Cushendall another 5.

In 24 odd years 3 clubs have been in the final 37 times leaving 11 appearances between the rest of the Antrim clubs.
hurl like f**k boi!

theskull1

A stopped clock springs to mind  ;D

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Megaman

if you also look at how many winners there has been it tells a story.

In Kilkenny there has been 12 different winners since 1975
Galway there has been 13
even in Offaly there has been 8

In Antrim it is 5

(i am open to correction in these stats btw)

Na Glinntí Glasa

i think thats what i was trying to get at in a round about way lol

your spot on megaman. Ballycastle, Cushendall, Dunloy, Loughgiel and Rossa are the only winners since 1975. Sarsfields won it the year before that.
hurl like f**k boi!

Gizzy15

Quote from: Megaman on April 21, 2015, 12:19:32 PM
if you also look at how many winners there has been it tells a story.

In Kilkenny there has been 12 different winners since 1975
Galway there has been 13
even in Offaly there has been 8

In Antrim it is 5

(i am open to correction in these stats btw)

2014[1] Ballyhale Shamrocks 1-20 Clara 1-13
2013[2] Clara 1-15 Carrickshock 2-10
2012[3] Ballyhale Shamrocks 0-16 Dicksboro 0-12
2011 James Stephens 1-08, 1-20 (R) Ballyhale Shamrocks 0-11, 0-15 (R)
2010 O'Loughlin Gaels 0-17 Carrickshock 1-11
2009 Ballyhale Shamrocks 1-14 James Stephens 1-11
2008 Ballyhale Shamrocks 2-11 James Stephens 0-12
2007 Ballyhale Shamrocks 1-20 St. Martin's 1-10
2006 Ballyhale Shamrocks 1-21 O'Loughlin Gaels 2-11
2005 James Stephens 1-18 Ballyhale Shamrocks 2-12
2004 James Stephens 2-16 Young Ireland's 3-12
2003 O'Loughlin Gaels 3-09, 2-12 (R) Young Ireland's 2-12, 2-10 (R)
2002 Young Ireland's 3-14 Dunnamaggin 1-15
2001 O'Loughlin Gaels 1-17 Graigue-Ballycallan 1-06

with my great use of wiki you can also say that in the last 14 years (kilkennys golden years) only really 3 teams have dominated the scene with 12 wins for BS, OLG and JS. which when looked at is very similar to the antrim club scene. Lies dam Lies and statistics springs to mind as you can pick what ever period you want and pick a stat to suit your argument (which I have done which will be pointed out). I think a lot of it is down to passion and desire within club, community and county, kids need from an early age to live with their hurl in their hand. when this is coupled with good and regular coaching/guidance can work. in Belfast where I reside I don't see enough of it within primary schools when the youth are most impressible. will continue my point later as I have work to do (caught on Gaa board lol)

CitySlicker11

Has there been any new additions to the Antrim squad since the relegation?

Na Glinntí Glasa

Last nights games

St John's GAC   0-9   0-12   St.Patrick's GAC, Portaferry
Ruairí Óg   3-12   0-16   Mac Uilin CLG   
Ballycran   2-16   2-11   Naomh Gall   
Cuchullains-Dunloy   2-16   0-9   Ghaeil Chluanaidh
hurl like f**k boi!

btdtgtt

Was hoping that Naomh Eoin might have grabbed a win - a much better showing from St Galls judging by that scoreline. The Johnnies lads are viewing that as one that got away.

manballandall

St galls let that game get away . Silly goals costly again and inexcusable amount of wides but a promising showing all the same . Fancy Rossa for an upset tonight :)

btdtgtt

Quote from: manballandall on April 23, 2015, 10:57:15 AM
St galls let that game get away . Silly goals costly again and inexcusable amount of wides but a promising showing all the same . Fancy Rossa for an upset tonight :)

Sounds up beat - thats one on the more difficult games of the year. Having ,ost against Rossa St Galls will not be able to slip up against the teams around them again. Snatching a few points elsewhere will help the battle between these teams.
Rossa play Loughgiel tonight? Strange day for the fixture but I think a familiar result!

theskull1

If Rossa travel the same way they traveled to Ballycastle then it should make for a game that wouldn't interest the neutral.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera