Tyrone v Down Ulster Championship First Round 8th June 2008

Started by To whom it may concern, April 14, 2008, 12:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Quote from: feetofflames on June 09, 2008, 01:33:52 PM
What was the story with Mc Menamin yesterday.  Was he very quiet. 

I thought that Ricey had a good game yesterday. He really stepped up to the mark and showed the flare of '03 and '05. He made great work of the ball.
Testing Accessibility

rrhf

Agreed TD, the best policy is to give a decent amount of your money to a chosen charity or two at the start of the year and walk on.  I would never give money into a bucket either.  I just hope these injury rumours are not true, or we could be handed back our asses in the Marshes.

orangeman

Quote from: 5iveTimes on June 09, 2008, 03:46:48 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on June 09, 2008, 03:21:41 PM
can anyone post individual match ratings?

from a paper or personal?

From the Irish News...

Tyrone ratings
McConnell 5.5, McMenamin 7, McMahon 7.5, McCaul 6, Harte 7, Gormley 6.5, Jordon 7, Holmes 5, McGinley 5, Dooher 6.5, McGuigan 6, C Cavanagh 6, Penrose 7, S Cavanagh 7, McCullagh 7.
Subs  Hughes 5.5, McGee 6.5, McGuigan 5, Gormley 6, McMahon not on long enough to be rated.

Down ratings.
McVeigh a very kind 7, Howard 7, Cole 6, Murney 5, Carr 6, Doyle 7, Rafferty 6, Gordon 8.5 MOTM, Lynch 6, Fegan 5, Murtagh 5, Hughes 5, Clarke 5, Sexton 6, Coulter 7.
Subs Murphy 7.5, Rodgers 8, McKernan 5, McComiskey 7.

The Irish News gaives Dooher 6.5

The Irish Independent gave Dooher 9 and the MOM title as well - I thought Dooher was our best player, much more deserving of 9 than 6.5 !

useername

i think the irish news is flawed in its judgement at times,

eg. i felt that marty mc grath for fermanagh was man of the match against monaghan but they gave it to mark little

however i don't like criticising it as it is a fantastic representative for broadcasting gaa,

screenexile

God I wasn't impressed with Dooher at all. Thought he gave the ball away cheaply at times and he certailnly didn't merit MOM! Gordon was absolutely outstanding from start to finish and never put a foot wrong the whole game and could well have added a goal to his 2 points.

I think the Irish News used to hand out 9s and 9.5s in the past and got slated for it so they decided to be a bit more stingey with their praise of players. Gordon was described as 'inspirational' but only merited a score of 8.5. Who'd be a journalist huh?

Uladh

anyone who yhought dooher was worthy of a 9 or even more worryingly mom ahead of gordan needs to have a good look at themselves and examine the cocktail of synthetic drugs they are putting in their body.

ziggysego

I actually thought Dooher had a very good game. Not MOM or anything, but good game. Gordon was head and shoulders above the rest.
Testing Accessibility

Fuzzman

Lots of interesting comments there and it sure must have been entertaining for the neutral

I think we need a 2nd Sean Cavanagh as his younger brother despite his size is a totally different style of player but maybe like Mulgrew he will come good.
Brian McGuigan was slow to find his feet too when he started.

Before the game I would have said Tyrone's Half back and Half Forward line should make up for the MF weakness and hopefully if Sean is deployed at FF we can change our style and get some scores.

Well I think our HF & HB lines were very poor for most of the game though the loss on Enda was immense.
FB line did OK as did Penrose and McCullagh would the ball was his in long and early

Why did we stop that tactic or did Down sniff that out?

I'd be concerned for Sat should McGinley, Gormley not make it and I think Joey has to start no matter what reason Harte is holding him back.
Justy looked good though maybe not tested as much as he would be against say Paddy Bradley.

Surely Dan Gordon can't lord it as much again and as a man just said to me, if we can survive with such a limited amount of MF possession yesterday surely we'll do better the next.

My main disappointment was from Mickey Harte and of course I'm not asking for him to resign but had he been a player we'd have seen he's having a stinker and get him off the field.

Hub was brutal and is a passenger now.
Holmes was not able to compete with big Joey sitting in the wings til 5 mins to go
He says in the IN that some players became complecant but I think he must have been a bit himself to leave Joey and Tommy sub for so long and to leave Brian on for so long.

On a positive note I was very impressed with the tackling esp in the 1st half as I couldnt see it so well in the 2nd half.
Was very disappointed again with Colm Cava and as someone said to me today he runs about trying to convince ye that he's working his b@lls off but he still hasn't reached this level as yet.

Penrose was good and yeah if yer singing of previous year hymn sheet yeah he missed 2 goal chances that maybe Sean or McCullagh would have scored but I think his pace and energy caused Down a lot of problems and with a big man at FF both those 2 can cause problems with good ball in?

Did anyone think Sean was struggling with fitness yesterday, yes O'Neill I know you're clinging on to that.

5 Sams

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on June 09, 2008, 02:03:15 PM
Quote from: corn02 on June 09, 2008, 01:46:09 PM
Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on June 09, 2008, 01:13:14 PM
I thought the support favoured Tyrone by about 70-30 yesterday

Have to disagree. Thought Down travelled very well.

They travelled well considering there wasnt much confidence but I would say there was 6000 Down supporters maximum. White was the predominat colour in the terraces.

Out of the 6 of us drinking together in the pub after the game yesterday 4 of us had the new WHITE Down Polo shirt on....so I wouldnt give you much for your estimation above.
The Aristocrat Years

corn02

5times do you really think the 7 for McVeigh was generous. His kick-outs were great, he made a super save with his feet and he took ane excellent catch in the second. Had no chance with the goals, well justified in my eyes.

Dooher was good in the first but Murphy easily got the better of him when he came on.

Lecale2

McVeigh had a good game IMO and deserves 7/10.

McEnaney will referee the replay. What difference will that make? With the exception of the call on McComiskey near the end I thought McColdrick had a good game.

stiffler

Will the replay be all ticketed? if so when will the tickets be distributed to the clubs?

GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Rois

Quote from: screenexile on June 09, 2008, 04:30:32 PM
God I wasn't impressed with Dooher at all.

You weren't impressed with his performance after no league football and months out recovering from injury??  The odd wasteful pass is something that he's often guilty of and definately nothing new.  But the hard work and industrious play more than makes up for it - he was directly involved in both Tyrone goals, put in some mighty tackles and scored a badly-needed point to bring Tyrone level again. 

I didn't think it was an MOM performance either but as for saying not impressed at all, when you take into account the long lay-off, it's better than I and most Tyrone supporters could have hoped for!

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Niall Quinn

Quote from: Rois on June 09, 2008, 07:03:01 PM
Quote from: screenexile on June 09, 2008, 04:30:32 PM
God I wasn't impressed with Dooher at all.

You weren't impressed with his performance after no league football and months out recovering from injury??  The odd wasteful pass is something that he's often guilty of and definately nothing new.  But the hard work and industrious play more than makes up for it - he was directly involved in both Tyrone goals, put in some mighty tackles and scored a badly-needed point to bring Tyrone level again. 

I didn't think it was an MOM performance either but as for saying not impressed at all, when you take into account the long lay-off, it's better than I and most Tyrone supporters could have hoped for!

I didn't see the game, but I'm still impressed after that.
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad