Tyrone v Down Ulster Championship First Round 8th June 2008

Started by To whom it may concern, April 14, 2008, 12:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: stiffler on June 09, 2008, 05:37:42 PM
Will the replay be all ticketed? if so when will the tickets be distributed to the clubs?

I would doubt that it will be all-ticket.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

corn02

I would be surprised if it is not all-ticket, the Down support will be out in force and Tyrone are big travellers (insert gypsy joke here).

Just like to point out to Rois etc that performances are judged on the day. Dooher and McGuigan are just back from big injuries. McGuigan was poor and Dooher was good, especially in the first but not great. Regardless of how they played people should only judge them on their performance, not external circumstances. If they are not fit, they should not be on. I may sound harsh but this is my belief.

jodyb

When are we likely to hear whether its all ticket or not?

Main Street

Quote from: corn02 on June 09, 2008, 05:32:31 PM
5times do you really think the 7 for McVeigh was generous. His kick-outs were great, he made a super save with his feet and he took ane excellent catch in the second. Had no chance with the goals, well justified in my eyes.
Overall I'd agree. I like a goalkeeper with presence and he has plenty of it.
I might be getting my games mixed up but did he not look unsure with some of his distribution, put his defense under pressure?

Rois

Quote from: corn02 on June 09, 2008, 07:22:39 PM
Dooher was good. 

Then you'll agree with me in not understanding how screenexile wasn't impressed with Brian at all.  I did agree with him that it wasn't a MOM performance remember!

Quote from: ziggysego on June 09, 2008, 07:05:36 PM
Calm down Rois ;)

I'm calm, I'm calm... ;D

ONeill

Dooher's game was average by his standards. Better than most on the Tyrone team but average in general.

Actually feel more optimistic about this than the game on Sunday. Tyrone have an awful lot to improve upon and if we can up the midfield percentage, the scoring tally should improve. Hopefully we won't get wiped out there again and I'm sure Mickey won't make the same positional mistakes.

2004 was the last time we had a good first game in the championship. Mickey's policy of no friendlies has been awfully close to biting him on his bearded arse a few times, first time out. Barring an injury report that makes disastrous reading on Thursday, Tyrone will be a much better outfit on Saturday.

Looking back on our recent championship replays:

2006 - beat Louth
2005 - beat Cavan
2005 - lost to Armagh by default
2005 - beat Dublin
2003 - beat Derry
2003 - beat Down
2002 - lost to Armagh
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tyrone86

Quote from: jodyb on June 09, 2008, 07:26:48 PM
When are we likely to hear whether its all ticket or not?

I'd doubt that it will all ticket at this stage. Normally, you'd have had some sort of announcement today, and logistics are unlikely to permit it at this stage. Plus you've that Saturday evening factor, when attendances traditionally are down from the week before.

On the game, Tyrone got no more than they deserved. 20 minutes champagne football and 4 miserable points in the subsequent 50. Harte's loyalty to his troops is commendable, but yesterday must serve as a wake up call. That's the second time a big lead has almost been pissed away and ended up in defeat. Surely they can't be as bad again?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Lecale2 on June 09, 2008, 05:36:37 PM
McEnaney will referee the replay. What difference will that make? With the exception of the call on McComiskey near the end I thought McColdrick had a good game.

With the exception of Cole remaining on pitch after breaking Harte's nose with a nasty elbow, Coldrick did well  ;) Overall he had a good game, and definitely the best that I've seen him adjudicate.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

corn02

He should have been off but of course Harte went in with a closed fist too, even if not as vicious.

I agree Rois, my point was more about people syaing past injuries should be considered rather than Dooher's performance.

western exile

Quote from: corn02 on June 09, 2008, 08:07:38 PM
He should have been off but of course Harte went in with a closed fist too, even if not as vicious.

Yes, Harte landed him a punch on the heart (excuse the pun) with a clenched fist, which Cole reacted to.  Can't condone either player's action of course, but I think the correct decision was  a  yellow. Cole was the player in possession getting fouled after all.
Over all, the referee had a good game, including getting the Dan Gordan disallowed goal decision correct.
A lot of mention has been made of the McComiskey foul that was not awarded, but a more costly error was made earlier in the game, when the 2nd Tyrone goal resulted from a free awarded at the other end of the field.  What looked like a free in for Down, was given as a free out for Tyrone (no one knows the reason why?)  and the ball was kicked up the field and next thing we know it is the back of the net!  It is only ever the decisions near the end of the game that we remember  8)

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

reddgnhand

Quote from: orangeman on June 09, 2008, 01:48:42 PM
I know club football and county football are two different things but surely there are better midfielders in Tyrone today than what we have on the replacements bench - surely we need to start to think outside the box ? Drastic situations can sometimes mean drastic sloutions ? What's wrong with calling in some of these men now ? Even if we beat Down on Saturday, we'll need them going forward.

Correct. Tyrone were totally destroyed in the middle of the park yesterday. I cannot for the life of me understand how a player who would never have started midfield under Big Art and Eugene, couldnt get a start in 2003 or 2005 can now be considered the best that Tyrone can offer for this position.   

Tyrone Dreamer

I would guess it will be all ticket. What does Newry hold now with the new stand finishd? Id expect a big Down support. Even when the teams met in a backdoor qualifier in 04 in Newry on a Saturday night (with the match on tv) there was a big crowd.

Mourne Rover

Apparently the replay is all-ticket. The ground should hold about 20,000 and there is also a Down v Tyrone ladies match at 5pm.