Stephen Cluxton

Started by Tommo2, September 18, 2011, 05:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGreatest

A lot of clowns on this thread as usual...  ;) I know you are all sick of the sight of Cluxton, but you cant deny his achievements and his contributions to GAA.

Agree with the above, if hes gone, hes gone, move on quickly, there is an all Ireland to be won. Dublin will be there or there abouts, a lot of new (ish) faces starting, may not be our year. Need Small back in the centre anyway and Rock starting etc.

Also bad news for you, Comerford is an excellent keeper and he will only get better.

Armagh18

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 05, 2021, 11:28:00 PM
Cluxton is a strange man and its no surprise we are in a strange situation.

He is either in or he is out. Short term, long term, doesn't matter. If he wants a year off, best of luck to him, he deserves it. Put he needs to piss or get off the pot.
[/b]Surprised to read this from a Dub tbh. I'm sure the people who need to know, know and for the rest of us it's none of our business.

Some loss if he is gone though. Comerford is a very good keeper but not on Cluxtons level. Maybe gives the rest of us some hope now!

yellowcard

He is either in or he is out. Short term, long term, doesn't matter. If he wants a year off, best of luck to him, he deserves it. Put he needs to piss or get off the pot.

A year out? He's 40 this year and the season is over next month so it's hardly a year off at this stage. If he doesn't come back he is finished.

Hound

Quote from: Armagh18 on July 06, 2021, 10:00:37 AM

[/b]Surprised to read this from a Dub tbh. I'm sure the people who need to know, know and for the rest of us it's none of our business.

Some loss if he is gone though. Comerford is a very good keeper but not on Cluxtons level. Maybe gives the rest of us some hope now!

BB is a soccer Dub.

Many soccer Dubs hate the Dubs gaelic team more than any other group in the country. Not saying BB is on that level, as he seems to dislike other teams more.

brokencrossbar1

Seems that Cluxton wanted to slip into the background with little fanfare so that young Comerford would not be pushed into the spotlight on his breakthrough season. Ironically if that is the case the way it has generated interest has had the converse effect and brought the 'will he/won't be' to the forefront. I'd say the players themselves know the story and it is simply a matter of playing the same tune when approached by the press etc.

imtommygunn

Yeah there seems to be a school of thought that cluxton is very wrong here. I doubt it. Just a private person and where is the harm in that.

johnnycool

As long as Dessie Farrell and his team mates know the real story it doesn't matter two shiny shites what we and journalists know or don't know about his situation.

He's an amateur player giving up his time for free. Should he not want to do that anymore it's his business and his business alone.

Captain Scarlet

Do we honestly believe Dessie Farrell when he says that's all he knows?
And then there are two strands saying it's going to heap pressure on Comerford and another saying it's taking pressure off him and the rest of the team...

Comerford would not be wearing that jersey if he wasn't fit to handle it. All the talk is only a distraction on the outside and I am sure those within the camp know the full story and will plough on no matter.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Hound on July 06, 2021, 10:06:08 AM

BB is a soccer Dub.

Many soccer Dubs hate the Dubs gaelic team more than any other group in the country. Not saying BB is on that level, as he seems to dislike other teams more.

That doesn't even make sense

Baile Brigín 2

None of our business? I don't think its unreasonable for a team, management and fans to know if a player plans on showing up for a game or not. Legend or not, its not on to leave everyone guessing.

tonto1888

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 06, 2021, 12:20:15 PM

None of our business? I don't think its unreasonable for a team, management and fans to know if a player plans on showing up for a game or not. Legend or not, its not on to leave everyone guessing.

The team and management know. That's what matters

trailer

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 06, 2021, 12:25:45 PM

I agree. The idea that DF doesn't know the story is ludicrous. It's a private matter.

I will say this, for a such a professionally run team they have made a mess of this. They should just say he's stepped away for some time while he deals with a personal issue / deals with work commitments / regains some fitness / takes time out to spend with family.... anything as a general holding statement.

imtommygunn

You wonder what Jim Gavin would have done.

Farrell clearly knows whatever is going on.

Louther

Stephen Cluxton was always one that seems to operate in his parameters. I'm not surprised he just walked away but doesn't feel the need to clarify that or make it a thing, he just either playing or not playing in his eyes. While it has turned into a drama in others eyes, he likely doesn't see it that way at all.

Maybe Dessie could have handled it better, say that we have a squad in place and are moving forward with that, door not closed but we planning with who we have blah blah blah. Don't think he could win no matter what he said but it feels like he has said nothing. Could be the case he trying to be honest and said as much as he knows. You just get the feeling that Jim Gavin wouldn't have let it go this way but he did take Connolly back late into a season.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 06, 2021, 12:25:45 PM

That is not my understanding