Tailteann Cup 2023 - Rules from GAA Master Fixtures List

Started by GAABoardMod5, March 29, 2023, 02:36:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Quote from: The PRO on July 15, 2023, 04:37:12 PM
That Down number 13 Brannigan is a quare bad footballer! :)
How did he finish the game?

I think he's in to do a job. What that job is I'm not sure. His handling was terrible today. I haven't seen much this year of Down but what I did he see of them he wasn't great.

The PRO

Quote from: Nanderson on July 15, 2023, 04:44:17 PM
Id say he'd have no bother roasting you though
That's hardly the point. I'm in my 60's so you're probably right. I just failed to see what he brought to that Down team today.

Itchy

Quote from: The PRO on July 15, 2023, 11:03:08 PM
Quote from: Nanderson on July 15, 2023, 04:44:17 PM
Id say he'd have no bother roasting you though
That's hardly the point. I'm in my 60's so you're probably right. I just failed to see what he brought to that Down team today.

Well that man for one looks like a 12 year old due to his lack of conditioning which in turn is probably due to his self inflicted refusal to play country football with Down until now as "there isn't a winning mentality in the country team"

Wildweasel74

He's a half bck trying play corner forward, plus he thought he was too good to play for Down for a fair while.

Minus15

Some opinions on Eugene today. Hasn't come to life yet in a Down jersey but I thought he had a decent game today. In first half he was one of the few making inroads into the Meath defence and assisted a few scores either from play or by drawing a foul.
His comments last year were naive but probably hard to argue with at the same time.
I've been to many more games this year than for a good few years. Laverty and his team have given the county fresh impetus. Let's hope Down can sustain themselves as a set up that the best players want to be a part of. I fully expect that Down will continue to improve over the next 2-3 years with this management team.

thejuice

Great to win a title in Croker after 13 years but we have to build on this. Goals remain the same as this year. Win Div 2. Reach/Win Leinster final and at the group stage take a few scalps at the very least.

Down just need a bit more time. The Laois game probably didn't help perceptions a bit like our game against Cork at the start of the league.

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

snoopdog

Hopefully Meath kick on from this. Leinster badly needs a competitive Meath. We also need a competitive Down, just for my sanity if nothing else.

BrotherMore6592

Quote from: Minus15 on July 16, 2023, 12:02:34 AM
Some opinions on Eugene today. Hasn't come to life yet in a Down jersey but I thought he had a decent game today. In first half he was one of the few making inroads into the Meath defence and assisted a few scores either from play or by drawing a foul.
His comments last year were naive but probably hard to argue with at the same time.
I've been to many more games this year than for a good few years. Laverty and his team have given the county fresh impetus. Let's hope Down can sustain themselves as a set up that the best players want to be a part of. I fully expect that Down will continue to improve over the next 2-3 years with this management team.

He's built like the side of a fiver

Even the two Canavans who are tiny on the Tyrone team have a bit of muscle about them

grounded

Quote from: Minus15 on July 16, 2023, 12:02:34 AM

Fair enough comment. First senior year for Lavery. Its plain to see he's using thise players who he is familiar with. He has some players coming back from injury with the likes of Barry O hagan and perhaps Mooney that could have made an impact yesterday. As you said, he will hopefully unearth/develop players over the course of the next few years.
     Like yourself I think Down are in a far better position than they were in.

thejuice

Been thinking now, getting out of Division 2 is still important but if you were Colm O'Rourke would you bother with the Leinster Championship next year. I never thought that would be something I'd ever say (or type) out loud but these are unprecedented times.

Save your powder for the All Ireland group stage might be the way to go. Perhaps that's what Mayo and Westmeath did this year.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

From the Bunker

Quote from: thejuice on July 17, 2023, 08:32:41 PM
Been thinking now, getting out of Division 2 is still important but if you were Colm O'Rourke would you bother with the Leinster Championship next year. I never thought that would be something I'd ever say (or type) out loud but these are unprecedented times.

Save your powder for the All Ireland group stage might be the way to go. Perhaps that's what Mayo and Westmeath did this year.

And look where that got Westmeath and Mayo? But yeah, there will be less and less invested in the Provincial Championship.

Ringfort

I'd say you're not far wrong Enda. Except Mayo under McStay were pretty brainless and weren't saving much powder at all, foot to the floor the old Mayo way and sure let's see what happens. Roscommon did a tactical job on them in the Connacht championship. Mayo didn't save much for the final few furlongs and just ran out of road.

But yes, more teams will disregard the provincials next year I feel, even though winning one is a big big advantage in the groups. But look at who's in the AI final. The sporting imbalance between the provinces is still in place despite the new system. Dublin and Kerry can build nicely through the spring and the early rounds of championship (with all the safety nets in place) while Ulster and Connacht teams of top 12 standard flog themselves to survive at the league top table and undergo the rigours of early round championship football against direct rivals. Dublin and Kerry don't really have that to negotiate so the provincial system is still stifling the bigger picture.

If I was Meath in '24 I'd certainly be going down the route of - win league/promotion OBJECTIVE NO..1 , Give Leinster a proper good lash but always remember we are peaking for AI group stages and can/will regroup if Leinster goes badly.

It's a f**king hames of a system in fairness 😄

imtommygunn

They want the best of both worlds and it doesn't work is basically the crux of it. Want provincials and loads of gate receipts but also loads of gate receipts later in the summer.

Blowitupref

Tailteann Cup Team of the Year 2023

1 Seán Brennan (Meath)

2 Adam O'Neill (Meath)

3 Pierce Laverty (Down)

4 Padraig Faulkner (Cavan)

5 Donal Keogan (Meath)

6 Padraic Harnan (Meath)

7 Danny Magill (Down)

8 Odhran Murdock (Down)

9 Conor Gray (Meath)

10 Jack Flynn (Meath)

11 Ross Dunphy (Carlow)

12 Liam Kerr (Down)

13 Jordan Morris (Meath)

14 Mathew Costello (Meath)

15 Ruairí McCann – (Antrim) St Mary's
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

12 from the Finalists🙄
The other 3 lads must really have impressed!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM