Tyrone v Monaghan Quarter Final

Started by tyronefan, July 27, 2013, 10:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Bit of a strange one, the structure of the game completely broke down in the second half (the weather played havoc). Agree about Penrose, would have had him off after 15 minutes.  At least Harte's hand will be forced next day out. Sean Cavanagh was colossal in the first half, faded in the second which is understandable. After the odd hiccup Peter Harte had a stormer I thought.  Really took the fight to Monaghan in the second half.

Keep the heads down for next three weeks and you never know what might happen. All objectives met for the year already. Lastly, great to see fellow Omagh man Ronan O'Neill get a crucial score at the end.

omagh_gael

Quote from: borderfox on August 03, 2013, 08:42:56 PM
Dunno why Brolly is having a go at Cavanagh for. He should be saving his vitriol for the referee instead for bottling it and not sending Cavanagh off. It was a blatant red card, Cavanagh did what he had to do, It should have been dealt with there and then.

You are obviously from the same school of dumb as Martin Carney. You can't just make up rules and send Sean Cavanagh off. What rule would you have sent him off for?

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Tubberman on August 03, 2013, 08:41:17 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on August 03, 2013, 08:36:06 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on August 03, 2013, 08:33:22 PMthey were desperate and unable to tackle correctly.

so that makes it ok then?   ::)

No, it means they weren't being deliberately cynical.

They were just shite at tackling then?

small white mayoman

Joe Brolly s attack on Sean Kavanagh was an absolute disgrace  ffs you would swear he was the 1st man ever to pull a man down going through on Goal what does Joe expect ? Who here on the board would not do the same thing if in the same position ? Jesus you would swear Kavanagh had just killed a man . From the game i was watching there was cyncism from both teams but of Course Brolly does not recognise that . I know who i rather go for a pint with so sean if your ever down in mayo just give us a pm as for Joe you might just feck of the national airways as i'm sick of paying my tv licsense to listen to the shite that you come out week after week.
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

TirEoghaingodeo

Quote from: Tubberman on August 03, 2013, 08:33:22 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on August 03, 2013, 08:27:41 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on August 03, 2013, 08:01:03 PM
The rules of the game are not stringent enough, and personally I don't think the black card will be near good enough to stamp out the ugly cynical stuff. But the apologists shouldn't think that excuses Tyrone's tactics seen today and against Meath - a horrible sight to see.

Hope you were busily defending Brolly when he tore into Mayo's cynicism last year too?

Read back - I already said agreeing with Brolly on this occasion was almost the exception to the rule. Mayo's 'cynicism' last year was overblown by Brolly, as tonight's probably was too, but Mayo were never as blatant or downright cynical as that - they were desperate and unable to tackle correctly.

Good grief, do you always talk such contradictory bollocks. Seems people love having a pop at Tyrone but will look past the same offences when any other team commit them. Not at all strange you only agree with brolly when tyrone are recipients of his ire.  His comments were disgraceful, and his feigned indignation was fairly embarrassing  imo but he'll get the attention he craves by making these comments so fair play I suppose.

Ó dá ligfeadh sí liú amháin gaile, liú catha...

Milltown Row2

This is daft, there are no posters here who if in same position (trying to get to an all Ireland semi final) wouldn't have brough said player down, if you wouldn't then you have never played. If I were manager and one of my players didn't do it as Pat said in a junior B quarter final I'd haul him off, and I'm also a referee. As for the red card some one got for clipping someone;s feet then you were done in by the referee as it's not a straight red.

Move Tyrone the better team and will not give a hoot what Joe said
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Nally Stand

Quote from: Tubberman on August 03, 2013, 08:33:22 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on August 03, 2013, 08:27:41 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on August 03, 2013, 08:01:03 PM
The rules of the game are not stringent enough, and personally I don't think the black card will be near good enough to stamp out the ugly cynical stuff. But the apologists shouldn't think that excuses Tyrone's tactics seen today and against Meath - a horrible sight to see.

Hope you were busily defending Brolly when he tore into Mayo's cynicism last year too?

Read back - I already said agreeing with Brolly on this occasion was almost the exception to the rule. Mayo's 'cynicism' last year was overblown by Brolly, as tonight's probably was too, but Mayo were never as blatant or downright cynical as that - they were desperate and unable to tackle correctly.

Ah now take the blinkers off! Mayo have been masters at cynicism!!!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Main Street

Close but not close enough for Monaghan. The extra bit we would have needed in the last quarter just didn't materialise, through carelessness etc.. Fair f*cks to Tyrone, they didn't want to relinquish their upper hand once they got a grip on the game, worked like demons when it was really needed and had that little bit more of football ability.

clarshack

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 03, 2013, 08:44:58 PM
Dunno why Brolly is having a go at Cavanagh for. He should be saving his vitriol for the referee instead for bottling it and not sending Cavanagh off. It was a blatant red card, Cavanagh did what he had to do, It should have been dealt with there and then.

You are obviously from the same school of dumb as Martin Carney. You can't just make up rules and send Sean Cavanagh off. What rule would you have sent him off for?

exactly!, it wasnt a red card offence in gaelic football.

it would be a red card in soccer alrite but fortunately we arent playing soccer.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: clarshack on August 03, 2013, 09:02:59 PM

it would be a red card in soccer alrite but fortunately we arent playing soccer.

Indeed.

Its hard to know what to advocate be done for scenarios such as this.

Referee the power to award a red for a cynical foul on a player going through? So we see players diving to get fellas sent off? Nah, don't fancy that either.

Perhaps I would go something along the lines of a review of the foul post-match. If an officiating panel think it was cynical and would have stopped a clear shot on goal - the offending player plays no further part in the competition that year. From an idealistic sporting perspective; Sean Cavanagh should not be rewarded for that degree of cynicism with an all-ireland semi-final. OK, it won't help in the final of any competition, but its a start.

[Note - I'd have hauled him down too. I still remember the day I should have hauled Benny Coulter down, and that was over a decade ago. Doesn't make it right.]
i usse an speelchekor

BennyHarp

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on August 03, 2013, 09:09:10 PM
Quote from: clarshack on August 03, 2013, 09:02:59 PM

Indeed.

Its hard to know what to advocate be done for scenarios such as this.

Referee the power to award a red for a cynical foul on a player going through? So we see players diving to get fellas sent off? Nah, don't fancy that either.

Perhaps I would go something along the lines of a review of the foul post-match. If an officiating panel think it was cynical and would have stopped a clear shot on goal - the offending player plays no further part in the competition that year. From an idealistic sporting perspective; Sean Cavanagh should not be rewarded for that degree of cynicism with an all-ireland semi-final. OK, it won't help in the final of any competition, but its a start.

[Note - I'd have hauled him down too. I still remember the day I should have hauled Benny Coulter down, and that was over a decade ago. Doesn't make it right.]

Post match, would you suspend Michael Shields for stopping a clear shot on goal by deliberately picking the ball off the ground?
That was never a square ball!!

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 03, 2013, 09:11:47 PM
Post match, would you suspend Michael Shields for stopping a clear shot on goal by deliberately picking the ball off the ground?

That is already adequately covered within the rulebook and was missed by the referee.

i usse an speelchekor

BennyHarp

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on August 03, 2013, 09:18:10 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 03, 2013, 09:11:47 PM

That is already adequately covered within the rulebook and was missed by the referee.

The fact that it was missed by the ref is irrelevant. It was a cynical attempt to stop a clear goal and if you are advocating a punishment for that then you are opening a can of worms! What if Sean had tapped his heels? Or did the old pretend to fall over the man? Or pulled his jersey? Or two men had unfairly bottled him up?  There's a million and 1 ways to stop a clear shot on goal, Sean happened to choose the most blatant - but it's no better or no worse than any other.
That was never a square ball!!

rrhf

Rte need to breathalyse their pundits otherwise anything could happen. Now that would be a rule I'd like to see implemented. There might be some interesting results. Where would rte stand if a pindit was found to be drinking before the game..would he still be allowed to analyse it. At least a pub has 4 walls

Mrs mills

Only one problem with demands for Sean cavanagh to be sent off. There is no red card offence to cover it, therefore the ref was correct. It carries the same penalty as it would 100m from goal.