Tyrone v Monaghan Quarter Final

Started by tyronefan, July 27, 2013, 10:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J OGorman

Quote from: rrhf on August 03, 2013, 09:27:01 PM
Rte need to breathalyse their pundits otherwise anything could happen. Now that would be a rule I'd like to see implemented. There might be some interesting results. Where would rte stand if a pindit was found to be drinking before the game..would he still be allowed to analyse it. At least a pub has 4 walls

So you for know one of the pundits was drinking before going on air?

Whishtup

3-4 cynical tackles by both teams near end of Dub v Cork-hardly remember them now as they weren't mentioned.
Roll back two years to Limerick v Kildare in the qualifiers.  A decent Limerick team are beating Kildare by a point-seconds to go in injury time.  Go to 2:44 in this clip:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cGUNl9Wf5w
  How many times should Limerick have done what Sean has done this past two games?  On Limerick Live 95FM they were screaming "Pull him down, haul him down, jeesus!" 
They didn't, they looked daft, lost and that team has never had the chance to reach the heights that they might have reached that year with Ian Ryan and John Galvin on fire.
Under the existing rules, this clip should be driven into teams.

Wildweasel74

Think the problem is too many people are defending what he did and actually cant see what he did as been wrong! if my own team had done it i wouldn't be over the moon about it, and bringing up other examples for other games to justify the end means and make out its common practice!

Whishtup

Back to the game-Tyrone easily better than Monaghan today.  Nearly done themselves out of it with Penrose and Gormley's sillyness at end of first half.  Monaghan need another McManus option to be a real threat.  This was always going to be about scraping over the line for a 3 week break for Tyrone.  I would still go with Penrose for speed alone-would just like to see him rediscover his scoring touch. 

Impressed-Cavanaghs, McMahon(Joe), McCarron, Clarke, McGinley,Harte, Gormley.
OK-Mattie Donnelly, Penrose, R.O'Neill.
Not so impressive-S O'Neill, McCurry

A well earned rest.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 03, 2013, 09:41:08 PM
Think the problem is too many people are defending what he did and actually cant see what he did as been wrong! if my own team had done it i wouldn't be over the moon about it, and bringing up other examples for other games to justify the end means and make out its common practice!

The point is that it is common practice, just in different ways but Tyrone and Sean Cavanagh are getting unfairly labelled as the only practitioners!
That was never a square ball!!

Zulu

QuoteIf you want to see it happen a lot less in the future, address it with a rule change. But for gawds sakes trial suggested rules in a competitive games setting (though NOT the NFL, rather McKenna/McGrath, a couple of Reserve/Junior B championships and local club cup competitions) rather than throw out a suggestion like the black card that I seriously doubt would have stopped Cavanagh do what he did, as McGeeny summed up well on the Beeb.

All true but the black card was the only option put before us so it is right to give it a try as cynical fouling is currently not being punished and the black card is at least an attempt to address that. If it does't work we can always try something else but to reject it in favour of keeping the status quo is BS.

macdanger2

Hard luck on Monaghan, they had their chances and didn't take them – Gollogly's miss could have been the turning point.

I can see how they will feel aggrieved though between Hughes' first yellow, Gormley not getting the line and Cavanagh's "tackle".

On Cavanagh, most players / teams would have done the same (Mayo did it v Dublin last year although it was somewhat less blatant). That doesn't make it right however (even the Tyronies with the most tinted glasses can surely see that??!!!) and if your team had lost a game where that was a crucial incident then you'd rightly feel hard done by. It deserved a red card and it's a pity there's not a rule covering it (could he have been sent off for reckless play?).

If Donegal / Mayo put a player on Cavanagh full time then I think it would seriously limit his influence. From what I could see, the Monaghan man marking him stuck with him for a while but then got distracted and went off attacking himself while Cavanagh just strolled around – when Tyrone won the ball back, he was free in the middle of the pitch to cause havoc while his man was trying to get back.

Didn't stay and listen to Brolley, he's a gobsh*te

highorlow

Monaghan played like a 20 handicap golfer and tyrone was the single figure man. Monaghan blew up by not taking that goal chance and by stupid indiscipline on the second yellow . Sean cavanagh incident came long after the Monaghan self destruction.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Jinxy

In fairness to Parkinson, he gets quality interviews from the sideline.
He usually grabs a selector at half time too and gets their opinion.
People seem to open up when it's just a microphone and no camera.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

macdanger2

Quote from: highorlow on August 03, 2013, 10:38:25 PM
Monaghan played like a 20 handicap golfer and tyrone was the single figure man. Monaghan blew up by not taking that goal chance and by stupid indiscipline on the second yellow . Sean cavanagh incident came long after the Monaghan self destruction.

Wsa the Cavanagh incident not on 50 minutes??

And Monaghan had it back to level on 63 minutes.........

Wildweasel74

The whole things with Brolly overshadowed the fact Gormley should have walked the day, the other lads didnt do the obvious strike he did!

omagh_gael

Is it just me or does Conor Clarke look like he is carrying someone on his shoulders when he is running?

BennyHarp

Just watching BBC coverage there McGeeney's post match analysis was superb!
That was never a square ball!!

EC Unique

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 03, 2013, 10:57:20 PM
Just watching BBC coverage there McGeeney's post match analysis was superb!

Link?

J OGorman