Should Women be allowed in Team Dressingrooms?

Started by Barney, October 28, 2008, 09:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Maybe she should forget about Mayo PRO and look for a job in the Obama administration then.

Lecale2

Quote from: Hardy on November 20, 2008, 05:42:26 PM
Maybe she should forget about Mayo PRO and look for a job in the Obama administration then.

Will he let her into his changing room?

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Lecale2 on November 19, 2008, 01:19:14 PM
"No club nominated the outgoing PRO, and even when you're outgoing, you have to be nominated. This means that the position of PRO will not be filled at convention. What will happen is that the clubs will be asked to nominate candidates for the position early in the New Year."
Is that the case everywhere? I didn't think the incumbent had to get nominated by a club. Must have been some gentle pressure put on her club then. ::)

blast05

QuoteMust have been some gentle pressure put on her club then

Maybe some of the other Mayo lads con confirm or correct me but as far as i am aware she is from the same club as the secretary.
Either way, the scenario is that she challenged Feeneys position for secretary and has now paid the big price .... Frank Murhpy is only in the ha'penny place compared to the bould Feeney  ::)

AbbeySider

Quote from: Owenmoresider on November 21, 2008, 10:08:41 PM
"No club nominated the outgoing PRO, and even when you're outgoing, you have to be nominated. This means that the position of PRO will not be filled at convention. What will happen is that the clubs will be asked to nominate candidates for the position early in the New Year."
Is that the case everywhere? I didn't think the incumbent had to get nominated by a club. Must have been some gentle pressure put on her club then. ::)

Stop spouting rumors and lies Owenmoresider.  >:( The cheek of you to suggest that. I held off responding to this topic but spreading shite and putting ideas in peoples heads like that is hard to take. If you dont know the full story keep quiet.

Why do we have to be talking about trivial stuff like this again anyway?
I know there is little football to be discussing this time of year but is it really necessary that we wash our linen in public as per usual in Mayo? 
(im not looking for any sexist puns there either guys)

cadhlancian

Quote from: Barney on October 28, 2008, 09:03:23 PM
This week the Mayo County Board argue about who should get into the dressing room before matches:

QuoteWar of words over dressing-room access

Daniel Carey

THE PRO of Mayo GAA Board has reacted strongly to her exclusion from the Mayo dressing-room, saying the issue had been dealt with in a 'deplorable' manner.
Noelle Horan told last Tuesday's County Board meeting in the Welcome Inn Hotel that a letter which she had submitted to the executive 'wasn't reported on' in the minutes of the previous meeting.
The PRO explained that the letter dealt with her exclusion from a list of people permitted access to the Mayo dressing-room which was drawn up over the summer. When she queried this, she said she was initially told by Chairman James Waldron that the room was overcrowded, and that it was the players' decision. She claimed that the Chairman then said it was his decision – 'but', she told the meeting, 'it wasn't his decision to make'.
Ms Horan added that she had been 'refused access' to the changing-rooms at half-time in Croke Park, and had been refused access 'entirely' to the dressing-rooms in Longford.
Secretary Seán Feeney replied that the 'rule is clear' regarding who is permitted access. This group is made up of the team, management, medical team, two water boys, Chairman and Secretary. The PRO said that the list he was referring to dealt with who was permitted on the sideline, but 'others have access to the changing rooms'.
The Secretary confirmed that the County Board President usually stood at the door of the dressing-room, and that Liam Ludden, who along with Tommy Goonan is responsible for the players' gear, is also permitted access.
Ms Horan asked if this meant the PRO is no longer an official member of the travelling party. East Mayo Board Secretary Vincent Walsh asked if people were 'overstating their position'. Chairman James Waldron said there were 'more pressing matters to deal with' and that the issue wouldn't arise again until next year.
The PRO said she was not allowed access to management and said the issue 'has escalated since I applied for the post of Secretary'. In reply to a question from Gerry Burke (Breaffy), she added that she had 'no issue' with being in a male dressing-room, and was 'not aware' that her presence was an issue for the players either.
Central Council delegate Paddy Muldoon said the Board had 'a lot of pressing matters' to attend to and shouldn't be 'wasting time' on this issue. The PRO asked where this left the position of women in the GAA within the county, and said that the manner in which the issue had been dealt with had been 'absolutely deplorable'.
The Chairman said that security was in place at the dressing-room door to keep out distractions and mind players' gear, to which the PRO replied: "I must have underestimated myself – I didn't consider myself a distraction'.
She told the Secretary she wanted the minutes from the last meeting 'rectified' to take account of her correspondence, and Mr Feeney agreed, saying it was no skin off his nose to make the change.

depends on what they look like ;D

Silky

What sort of a respectable woman would be wanting to hang around in men changing rooms?

dundrumite

Remember reading Mickey Harte's book, his view was that he had too many non-members of the footballing/management team in the changing room. He kindly  told them there presence in the changing room was unnecessary. His belief the changing room is a sacred place between management and players. Totally agree, a place for team members and those actively involved in the day to day training, not the suits involved in the running of the county board.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AbbeySider on November 22, 2008, 08:03:17 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on November 21, 2008, 10:08:41 PM

Stop spouting rumors and lies Owenmoresider.  >:( The cheek of you to suggest that. I held off responding to this topic but spreading shite and putting ideas in peoples heads like that is hard to take. If you dont know the full story keep quiet.

Why do we have to be talking about trivial stuff like this again anyway?
I know there is little football to be discussing this time of year but is it really necessary that we wash our linen in public as per usual in Mayo? 
(im not looking for any sexist puns there either guys)

Why don't you tell us what happened so? All OMS speculated on was what most people were thinking anyway. Seems very unusual that your own club wouldn't nominate you for a job that you were doing already.

While your at your Politburo type crusdae maybe you should get on to the local papers in Mayo as well and tell them to stop printing stuff like this. No need for people to know anything really.

Farrandeelin

When is Feeney's time up as Secretary anyway? It's not too long, I think I read somethiing in the Western about him having to leave soon. How soon that is, is another matter.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Lecale2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 24, 2008, 05:04:59 PM
When is Feeney's time up as Secretary anyway? It's not too long, I think I read somethiing in the Western about him having to leave soon. How soon that is, is another matter.

Co Board Secretary is now a full time employed position. He aint goin anywhere for a long time.

AbbeySider

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 24, 2008, 04:12:04 PM
Why don't you tell us what happened so? All OMS speculated on was what most people were thinking anyway. Seems very unusual that your own club wouldn't nominate you for a job that you were doing already.
While your at your Politburo type crusdae maybe you should get on to the local papers in Mayo as well and tell them to stop printing stuff like this. No need for people to know anything really.

Firstly im with pints pintsofguinness when he said this topic is...
Quote from: pintsofguinness on October 28, 2008, 09:22:43 PM
not even newsworthy imo.

As well as that I didnt think it fair to talk about peoples lives on this board. Is it really fair some of the stuff being said about both parties?
How would you feel being Noelle Horan reading or Sean Feeney reading some of the comments posted here.
I dont know either party personally but someone calling Noelle a nosey cow?  ::)  Who the f**k are you? (Two Hands FFS and Billy_The_Kid), in fairness?  ::)

Some of the shite and assaults on both characters are a bit much. I dont know what to put it down to.
At the end of the day, they all are human like the rest of us.

Local papers magpie? I dont read them. I have a gripe with them as a hype machine and generating pressure on Mayo county players and management.
Added to the fact that a lot (not all) of the sports and GAA writers are very poor and wouldnt spot a footballer in Croke Park.
But somehow from your comments I imagine you scouring your local Sligo papers every week for the gossip and poor punditry.
News must be slow in Sligo, maybe you should be concentrating on figuring out how to beat London or how to win the Tommy Murphy cup and leave the "Politburo Crusaders"  like me alone.  :D

Anyway as far as I know the woman in question never got an official club nomination when she went for West Board PRO.
I think she got a nomination from someone and got the position by default because there was no takers.
She then ran unopposed for the county board PRO position when it became available, and got it.
To my knowledge, she never canvassed, asked or sought a club nomination from any club or ever mentioned her interest in these positions, and went about it her own way.
Which is fair enough.
Out of the 50 clubs that were asked for nominations only 5 replied. None obviously nominated her.
But I think she can still receive a nomination in the new year. We will see what happens.

stephenite

This is going to sound very hypocritical, but anyway.....

Sean Feeney has put a lot of voluntary effort into Mayo GAA over the years and this deserves to be recognised.

He is also a plague on Mayo GAA with some of the comments that he has made over the years, some of the decisions that he has railroaded through the county board and the fixture administration during his tenure are nothing short of a mess.

We'd be better off without him, but unfortunately we're stuck with him - only upside being that now he is a paid full time anything in relation to him and the duties of secretary are fair game for comment.

PS: I've no doubt that Blast05 is correct in his summation of events