Should Women be allowed in Team Dressingrooms?

Started by Barney, October 28, 2008, 09:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

This week the Mayo County Board argue about who should get into the dressing room before matches:

QuoteWar of words over dressing-room access

Daniel Carey

THE PRO of Mayo GAA Board has reacted strongly to her exclusion from the Mayo dressing-room, saying the issue had been dealt with in a 'deplorable' manner.
Noelle Horan told last Tuesday's County Board meeting in the Welcome Inn Hotel that a letter which she had submitted to the executive 'wasn't reported on' in the minutes of the previous meeting.
The PRO explained that the letter dealt with her exclusion from a list of people permitted access to the Mayo dressing-room which was drawn up over the summer. When she queried this, she said she was initially told by Chairman James Waldron that the room was overcrowded, and that it was the players' decision. She claimed that the Chairman then said it was his decision – 'but', she told the meeting, 'it wasn't his decision to make'.
Ms Horan added that she had been 'refused access' to the changing-rooms at half-time in Croke Park, and had been refused access 'entirely' to the dressing-rooms in Longford.
Secretary Seán Feeney replied that the 'rule is clear' regarding who is permitted access. This group is made up of the team, management, medical team, two water boys, Chairman and Secretary. The PRO said that the list he was referring to dealt with who was permitted on the sideline, but 'others have access to the changing rooms'.
The Secretary confirmed that the County Board President usually stood at the door of the dressing-room, and that Liam Ludden, who along with Tommy Goonan is responsible for the players' gear, is also permitted access.
Ms Horan asked if this meant the PRO is no longer an official member of the travelling party. East Mayo Board Secretary Vincent Walsh asked if people were 'overstating their position'. Chairman James Waldron said there were 'more pressing matters to deal with' and that the issue wouldn't arise again until next year.
The PRO said she was not allowed access to management and said the issue 'has escalated since I applied for the post of Secretary'. In reply to a question from Gerry Burke (Breaffy), she added that she had 'no issue' with being in a male dressing-room, and was 'not aware' that her presence was an issue for the players either.
Central Council delegate Paddy Muldoon said the Board had 'a lot of pressing matters' to attend to and shouldn't be 'wasting time' on this issue. The PRO asked where this left the position of women in the GAA within the county, and said that the manner in which the issue had been dealt with had been 'absolutely deplorable'.
The Chairman said that security was in place at the dressing-room door to keep out distractions and mind players' gear, to which the PRO replied: "I must have underestimated myself – I didn't consider myself a distraction'.
She told the Secretary she wanted the minutes from the last meeting 'rectified' to take account of her correspondence, and Mr Feeney agreed, saying it was no skin off his nose to make the change.

tyrone86

Two questions:

1. Why would the PRO be allowed in the changing room at half-time? It's not like they've any statements to issue arising from the teamtalk.

2. Would yer wan be counted as a distraction?

Tim Buzaglo

No call for that blade being in the changing room at that time!

Furthermore, i always maintain that no women should be entitled to tickets for big games (all ireland finals etc) until all the men have been sorted out first.

Will we ever see another one?

full back

Why the fcuk would she want access to the changing rooms before or at ht in the game ???

IMHO, the manager, who has (in most cases, unless you are from Cork /Donegal) been selected by those in charge to do the job, should have the final say in who is on the room

pintsofguinness

Is this just a case of a woman using the fact that she's a woman to create a fuss and scream discrimintation?

What reason has a PRO to be in the changing room?

not even newsworthy imo.

Tim, we don't need another thread for people to show how macho they are  ::)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

downgirl

Quote from: Tim Buzaglo on October 28, 2008, 09:18:08 PM
No call for that blade being in the changing room at that time!

Furthermore, i always maintain that no women should be entitled to tickets for big games (all ireland finals etc) until all the men have been sorted out first.

Tim wise up

J70

Are male PROs allowed in the women's dressing rooms?

full back

I see what you are saying J70,
but I dont think PRO's should be in the changing room before or during games

pintsofguinness

Quote from: J70 on October 28, 2008, 09:29:01 PM
Are male PROs allowed in the women's dressing rooms?
Don't think it has anything to do with gender J70 and to go down that road would just be what this lady wants.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

tyrone2010

they should have women like Demi Moore  to perform a half time striptease to "harden up" the underperming players :P : ;D

Zulu

I don't know what the protocol for this type of thing is but she is entitled to clarification on her position and the attitude of her fellow CB members was disgraceful IMO. Accrding to the chairman they had more pressing matters to deal with and maybe they do but how difficult is it to clarify who is entitled to the dressing room and why? If I was her I'd be well pissed off that an issue that was important to me was swatted away in such a disrespectful manner, she is the county PRO afterall and that should entitle her to at least an reasonable answer to her query.

The GAA

The only county board officer i could see needing dressing room access at any time would be the secretary to deal with substitutions?

Two Hands FFS

If the women was a physio or a team doctor then by all means she should be allowed...but there is no need for a PRO(male or female) to be in the dressing room.She just sounds like a nosey cow who wants to know what is going on. Sure next you know then she'll want the treasurer/ or vice secretary in.

Catch a grip.

moysider

Looks like there s more to this than just the PRO being excluded from the dressing room. If I were the manager i would nt want the Chairman or Secretary there either - especiallly that secretary.
Some of the comments about more pressing matters and skin off noses were very disrespectful, and when you consider that she is a member of the executive, astounding. Classy people we re dealing with here. I wonder what the more pressing matters were? Another contract extension for Johnno? Stratagies to get their man re-elected in the event of a snap general election.
I was nt aware she had opposed the great man for the permanent secretary s job. I m sure she realises now that it was not a wise move but she should be congratulated for her bravery. She s obviously being frozen out because she dared to challenge the man for what he considered his own personal birthright.

Hurler on the Bitch

Quote from: hardstation on October 28, 2008, 10:47:39 PM
Can someone post a short summary of what happened? Them words is too small.

Look - if yer that 'bustin' for a look at a 'middle wicket' then ..............perhaps just get a boy love! (sorry - meant the PRO AND NOT YOU HARDSTATION.. OR MAYBE YOU ARE? WHO KNOWS?)