Should Women be allowed in Team Dressingrooms?

Started by Barney, October 28, 2008, 09:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: Silky on November 25, 2008, 03:58:51 PM
Quote from: SouthArmaghBandit on November 25, 2008, 03:08:12 PM
I may bump into her at annual Congress for example. Or come across her somewhere else.  A head and shoulders shoot will do.
:D :D :D
I cant stop laughing at that either now!
Who is that Silky, in the picture?
God help SouthArmaghBandit in the next annual Congress!

magpie seanie

Quote from: AbbeySider on November 25, 2008, 02:48:50 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on November 25, 2008, 01:56:34 PM
Quite the rant there.

I mentioned local papers as that is where this story that you wish to be suppressed originated. How you could come up with the bit in bold is just beyond me. A bit of a tantrum it looks like. I really don't understand where you're coming from on this.

It was a bit of a rant and a poor attempt at humour. It was in Jest, no offence meant.  ;)

Sound Abbeysider, none taken.

Lecale2

6 pages on the Mayo Pro! Hard to believe. Is that a photo of her or not?

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

GAAboardmod1

I would prefer if posters refrained from posting pictures of any county board officers on the site, given the context of the thread.

stephenite

Quote from: Tubberman on November 25, 2008, 08:33:12 AM
QuotePS: I've no doubt that Blast05 is correct in his summation of events

You have 'no doubt'!?
Well isn't that amazing. From far-flung Australia, Stephenite knows for a fact the exact circumstances of nominations (or lack of them) for the Mayo PRO job, when very few within the county seem to be sure. You're some man  ::)
To come onto a message forum on the internet and cast aspersions on a man's character is very easy. Especially when you can get up from in front of your keyboard and not give it another thought. Yourself and Blast would want to present the facts if you're in 'no doubt'.

Yes, because telephones and other methods of modern communication are completely unavailable to me in 'far-flung' Australia - the notion that my current location precludes from having an opinion or some knowledge as to the nominations process for executive positions at the convention is ludicrous. ::)

It is very easy to come onto an Internet discussion forum and cast aspersions, you're right. Nearly as easy as taking a call from Pat Kenny and deciding that as you were elected to be secretary of the Mayo County board you're in a position to announce new GAA policies without a care in the world or input into your decision by anyone else, despite the nature of your announcement causing thousands of jaws to drop simultaneously across the country, and casting aspersions on thousands of members that may not agree with him.

Tubberman

QuoteYes, because telephones and other methods of modern communication are completely unavailable to me in 'far-flung' Australia - the notion that my current location precludes from having an opinion or some knowledge as to the nominations process for executive positions at the convention is ludicrous.

So you DO know the exact circumstances of the nominations then? Enlighten us.

QuoteIt is very easy to come onto an Internet discussion forum and cast aspersions, you're right. Nearly as easy as taking a call from Pat Kenny and deciding that as you were elected to be secretary of the Mayo County board you're in a position to announce new GAA policies without a care in the world or input into your decision by anyone else, despite the nature of your announcement causing thousands of jaws to drop simultaneously across the country, and casting aspersions on thousands of members that may not agree with him.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with PRO nominations. What it possibly does show, is that your assumptions/opinions in the PRO debate are based on your grievance from a completely unrelated event.

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Silky

Can you not nominate from the floor at convention if there has been no body nominated?

AbbeySider

Quote from: Silky on November 27, 2008, 11:54:46 AM
Can you not nominate from the floor at convention if there has been no body nominated?

I could be wrong in this but....
At a guess id say its only County Board Club Delegates and Officers that can nominate for positions.

I think you can only submit nominations before the convention. Out of almost 50 clubs, only 5 returned nominations this time.
It wouldnt make sense to have any normal Joe Soap coming in off the street and making a nomination from the floor.
Im not sure are nominations even allowed from the floor on the day.
Again im not 100% sure on this...

Edit:
I just came across this in the Mayo news.
"No club nominated the outgoing PRO, and even when you're outgoing, you have to be nominated. This means that the position of PRO will not be filled at Convention. What will happen is that the clubs will be asked to nominate candidates for the position early in the New Year."

moysider

I m not a county board delegate but I ve attended several AGMs of a related organisation at provincal level. Often there would be no nominations for executive  positions. Unless somebody actively sought a nomination you would nt bother. Usually what happens then is that the outgoing officer would be asked if they were willing to continue in the position for another year and if they agreed that was that.
Surprised that did nt happen in this case. I see where its pointed out that the outgoing must be nominated as well so if thats the rule well then thats the rule.
You would have to think Ms. Horan did not actively seek a nomination because its inconceivable that no club would not nominate her because she is well thought of. It would appear she may have had enough.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: moysider on November 27, 2008, 08:32:00 PM

I m not a county board delegate but I ve attended several AGMs of a related organisation at provincal level. Often there would be no nominations for executive  positions. Unless somebody actively sought a nomination you would nt bother. Usually what happens then is that the outgoing officer would be asked if they were willing to continue in the position for another year and if they agreed that was that.
Surprised that did nt happen in this case. I see where its pointed out that the outgoing must be nominated as well so if thats the rule well then thats the rule.
You would have to think Ms. Horan did not actively seek a nomination because its inconceivable that no club would not nominate her because she is well thought of. It would appear she may have had enough.

Ok, can't agree with that Moysider, have been at a few meetings myself and around the Mayo scene it wud be wrong to say that Ms Horan was generally well thought of. I'm not going to dish her here but lets leave it at saying that she rubbed people up the wrong way and a lot of what happened was of her own doing
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

stephenite

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 27, 2008, 09:41:37 PM
Quote from: moysider on November 27, 2008, 08:32:00 PM

Ok, can't agree with that Moysider, have been at a few meetings myself and around the Mayo scene it wud be wrong to say that Ms Horan was generally well thought of. I'm not going to dish her here but lets leave it at saying that she rubbed people up the wrong way and a lot of what happened was of her own doing

Second hand reports I've heard would back that up, however I'm told that she approached a number of junior clubs in the west to seek a nomination and there was some 'issues' with one clubs process, thus the nomination was rejected

RedandGreenSniper

Well it wasn't her own club that nominated her in the first place, its a wonder none of the two that nominated her firstly did the same again.

The CB could badly do with Kevin O'Toole back in charge of fixtures, no doubt Ms Horan did a lot of work but its not an easy job to be thrown into. I think the CB wil struggle tho 2 replace her because willing and able people just aren't ten a penny. Clubs are struggling to get good people and it'd be a rare club that would let a good clubperson step up to county board, to what would be seen as being to the club's own cost . . .

stephenite

From Mayo News - Daniel Carey

NOELLE Horan launching a blistering attack on the County Board Executive at last night's Mayo GAA Board Convention – and then said would not be seeking a nomination for the post of Public Relations Officer.
Ms Horan, who failed to receive a nomination to contest the position she has held for three years, read from a pre-prepared speech. She told delegates that 'if you do not know your place or toe the 'party' line there is simply no place for you' in the County Board.
The Ballintubber clubwoman clashed with Secretary Seán Feeney and Chairman James Waldron at the last County Board meeting over the ending of her access to the county teams' dressing-room. But her criticism at last night's meeting in the McWilliam Park Hotel, Claremorris was even more scathing.
She said she was 'most surprised' when reading the Secretary report to Convention in local papers last week. "He may 'cringe' when reading interviews with our county players and criticise their lack of team work, but An Runaí, have you never heard that those in glass houses should not throw stones?" she asked.
"It has never been my intention nor I have knowingly embarrassed any of our county players by my presence [in the dressing room]," she added. "It is very regrettable that our Cathaoirleach has chosen to use our players to achieve his aims."
She said she been 'constructively prevented' from performing the duties of her position, had been 'repeatedly undermined', 'granted authorisation for expenditure at a meeting [only] to have that countermanded in private', 'refused a budget' for her position, and been 'isolated and singled out for special treatment by a select few'. She criticised the 'inaction' of people who 'were aware of this juvenile behaviour, yet did nothing or took some perverse pleasure from it'.
She urged clubs to 'retake control of our County Board' and asked if clubs were 'honestly happy' with the manner in which it was run. She said the Board was guilty of a 'lack of transparency' and that 'decisions are made by a few for the majority'.
Claremorris GAA Club Chairman Kieran Finn supported Ms Horan and said the County Board 'can't afford to lose people of her calibre'. He was applauded by many delegates but Seán Feeney told the meeting: "There are a lot of things I could say too, but I'll withhold my fire. There are two sides to every story."

RedandGreenSniper

The full text was printed in the Mayo News but its not online. It makes for some reading. I was at the meeting myself, interesting to say the least. Poorly handled by the county board, and fair play to Noelle, she didn't spare them. She's not without sin either but she was poorly treated. As someone from the floor noted, it looks very bad at a time when the county board is fundraising for McHale Park . . .