The official Playstation 3 thread

Started by Our Nail Loney, September 05, 2008, 11:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrek

dont really like to keep too many at once

usually trade in what i have for a new one

at the minute i have FIFA09 (which is becoming redundant)

i have Tiger Woods 09 and COD W@W - which i play the most atm.

rage

Shrek I have those three games myself and mainly playing Tiger Woods at the minute.  I nver really liked shooting games but COD is brilliant.  Buzz is great craic if you like those sort of games.  Have that Little Big Planet too but haven't really gotten into it yet.  When you have any more than 3/4 games you end up not playin some of them at all.

Shrek

Quote from: rage on January 07, 2009, 12:40:25 PM
Shrek I have those three games myself and mainly playing Tiger Woods at the minute.  I nver really liked shooting games but COD is brilliant.  Buzz is great craic if you like those sort of games.  Have that Little Big Planet too but haven't really gotten into it yet.  When you have any more than 3/4 games you end up not playin some of them at all.

exactly why i dont have that many at any one time, i was never into shooting games either until i got COD. only getting back into Tiger with my now lack of love for FIFA09.

Minder

Is Tiger '09 good Shrek, i have had it almost every year for the PS2 and loved it? Looking for a new game at the minute, dunno whether to get Tiger '09 or COD 4, its only £24.99 at Play.com
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

corn02

Quote from: Minder on January 07, 2009, 01:05:51 PM
Is Tiger '09 good Shrek, i have had it almost every year for the PS2 and loved it? Looking for a new game at the minute, dunno whether to get Tiger '09 or COD 4, its only £24.99 at Play.com

First class on the Xbox so I'd say same on PS3.

girt_giggler

Don't get Need For Speed , basically the exact same as it was IMO on the Playstation 1 back in 1927.

Shrek

Quote from: Minder on January 07, 2009, 01:05:51 PM

yeah its pretty good, COD5 is out atm.

obviously two totally different games so hard to call between them

Quagmire

COD 5 is a really good game, it's tough enough going in places but the action is fantastic. The online options are good too, the Nazi Zombies are a good laugh.

I also got FarCry 2 and Fallout 3, only getting going on FarCry now, it seems pretty good though you'll want time on your hands to get into it. Fallout is meant to be excellent, the wee bro has it for the 360 and loves it, very addictive when you get into it apparently. I'll leave it til I get over FarCry!

Both are going for £20 new in Game, at that price they're worth a rattle, considering smeplaces are still trying to flog Fllout at £45!

girt_giggler

Was in Game today looking through the pre-owned games for PS3.  Fifa 09 was there pre-owned for £39.99 yet on the side of the shop with the 'normal games', top 10 sellers etc was Fifa 09 on sale for £29.99!

So anyone want it brand new get it new in tneir sale instead of pre-owned.

ANyone got Medal of Honour for PS3? Was big MOD fan til COD but would still buy it if I thought it was any good.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Shrek on January 07, 2009, 12:46:41 PM
Quote from: rage on January 07, 2009, 12:40:25 PM

exactly why i dont have that many at any one time, i was never into shooting games either until i got COD. only getting back into Tiger with my now lack of love for FIFA09.
Have you got GTA yet??

Or the Guitar Hero games?? They are both great and will keep you interested for ages...

Our Nail Loney

Someone said to me tescos were selling ps3s now (40gig) for 190qid, not bad.

Our Nail Loney

Jut wanted to show this breakdown of the ps3 compared to other lesser consoles

thebigfella

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on January 08, 2009, 02:32:17 PM
Jut wanted to show this breakdown of the ps3 compared to other lesser consoles

Other lesser consoles?

How can the WII be lesser when it's been a run away success (just like the PS2) and re-launched Nintendo into the home console market? Personally I have found very little difference between games available on the PS3 and Xbox360 consoles and that's only because I have worked in the industry and can tell subtle differences produced by the different architectures. In fact I would say Sony has nothing in the pipeline that will show off the "better hardware we are led to believe it contains" of the PS3. Also many games run better on the 360, GTA4 runs at a higher resolution on the 360, how does this make it superior?

In fact IMHO it shows how they completely got their business model wrong. While MS went after the monopoly that the PS2 shared on exclusive titles (main reason I purchased GTA4 on the 360 was the future exclusive downloadable content) and focused on development of their online gaming service with the 1st Xbox; Sony wasted all their cash on developing this super console. MS achieved the same by developing their platform using the existing technologies and manufacturing processes in place. Sony neglected what the gaming community wanted and now it looks like they will never recover to the heights the PS2 reached. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last console they produce, that is certainly what the industry is indicating at the moment.

In the past the software houses relied on the exclusivity deals with individual platforms to make a profit. They now appear to be following the similar business model to movie making where the smaller studios align themselves with large distributors/studios (not MS or Sony); do you think EA or Take Two want to lose a large chunk of their potential market by releasing exclusive titles on a particular platform? In fact these large distributors now hold all the cards, that's is why industry analysts believe that with have seen the last console war with games being run on the same standardised hardware in the future. With the costs of producing and distributing a game now outstripping the many movies, EA and the likes will push to standardise hardware much like movie studios don't like supporting different video formats (Blu Ray vs HD DVD, VHS vs Betamax ect...).

Back to the post though, in the UK an Xbox 360 with WiFi adapter (not everybody needs Wi-Fi too) will cost 205 quid from Amazon. The equivalent PS3 80gig (that's what Sony are comparing) will cost 280. Comparing the cost of the PS3 to the cost of an Xbox model no longer on sale is, the HDMI output comparison, is a load of balls. In fact the Sony propaganda department must think we are all idiots. There are lots of hidden costs with a PS3 HDMI cable, Headset, Dual shock 3 (I got mine with crappy Si-Axis controller) ect... I don't think they are very objective in their comparisons.

Also the term Blu Ray gaming is a huge red herring, I can't think of any studio that is planning to release games exclusively on Blu Ray due to the development/distribution costs involved currently, this may change but then I think due to the modularisation of the Xbox hardware, MS can introduce it or more likely they will move to a download service model. You can also bet though MS have looked at these options already. In fact the industry agrees that we will eventually move to a download/subscription model for games (Studios will go for it because or the lower packaging/distribution costs involved); by the time Blu Ray games start to appear they may already be obsolete.

Finally Xbox Live is far superior to PSN. The popularity and number of people registered on the service confirms this and people don't mind paying for what they see is a far superior online experience/product. If you look at the EULA for PSN you will see they reserve the right to charge for the service at any time, something Sony admitted they may look at in the future. You can be sure if they ever get PSN sorted or the popularity of their platform increases to Xbox levels, they will start charging. In fact while I had RRoD on the Xbox I was play Call of Duty 4 on PSN (before you start on the RRoD – I'm currently on my 3rd PS3 since release while I have only had to get my Xbox fixed once. Although Sony replacements are there within 24 hours much better than a week or 2 with MS), the servers on PSN are so slow; it takes around 20mins to get into a game. This is virtually instant on Xbox live. The quality of opposition on PSN is inferior too  Especially on FIFA 09 and Pro Evo 09 ;-)

Personally I think if the PS3 came out at the same time as the Xbox it would have been a run away success. Unfortunately for Sony it didn't and now IMHO I think it's a total flop and I don't think any Sony marketing propaganda can cover up the facts. I just have to look at how often I buy a game for mine over the Xbox version, its always just exclusive titles to Sony I purchase, which are very little at present.

PlayWithTheWind

Anyone got Fallout 3?

If so, what do you make of it and how much have you completed?
Its not over til the fat lady sings!

scud

I have it. Played it for a while over xmas, really liked it but got pissed off, no 'base' as such. I know you can get a house in the first town if you defuse the bomb but in my game the sheriff got shot. Anyone know a way around this?