Tyrone v Westmeath

Started by Fuzzman, July 20, 2008, 06:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Thanks folks, should be a decent traveling support from the midlands, hopefully the journey won't be in vain...  :P
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Zapatista

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 23, 2008, 01:55:34 PM
Thanks folks, should be a decent traveling support from the midlands, hopefully the journey won't be in vain...  :P

Do you not mean 'in a van'? Round them roads i don't blame ye.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: loughshore lad on July 23, 2008, 08:46:34 AM
I think a fit mugsy would be a starter but he must not be at the races yet or else MH would have given him some game time.  As MH is quoted as saying in the Irish News today you can train all you want its the games that ultimately improve your fitness.  How anyone thinks Colm Cavanagh should start before Tommy the next day is beyond me.  With everyone fit and available I would like to see Tyrone play a system with Dooher, Sean Cav and Tommy in the half forward line, McCullagh and Mugsy inside and Brian given a free role to link the play in the hole between the half and full forward lines like he did in Drogheda.  Something like:

Dooher (roving)

Tommy, Sean

Brian

Mugsy, McCullagh

Agree with all that LL but the bit in bold in particular. McGuigan Og has been one of Tyrone's best attackers this season and without doubt deserves his starting place on the team. Similarly Id feel Penrose would be unlucky to lose his place at this stage, he has had maybe his best run of games for Tyrone over the last couple of months.

As for Mugsy he hasnt played for Tyrone for months now and surely its too early to be throwing him onto the starting 15. The forwards did well the last day so Id go with the same lineup again and hold Mugsy back for the second half. So for me its the same team but with Sean playing further out the field.

orangeman

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 23, 2008, 01:55:34 PM

Will you bring 500 ? 1000 ?

Zapatista

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on July 23, 2008, 03:52:53 PM

. McGuigan Og has been one of Tyrone's best attackers this season and without doubt deserves his starting place on the team. Similarly Id feel Penrose would be unlucky to lose his place at this stage, he has had maybe his best run of games for Tyrone over the last couple of months.

True. I think he has peaked (assuming he has peaked) at the right time. He wasn't very impressive up untill the Championship.

Red Sea

A purely pointless match neither will make it past the quaters neway... when d real chips are down! tyrone are a spent force for a few years and westmeath will never  win anything they should stick to fishing or sumthing! :D

Zapatista

Quote from: Red Sea on July 23, 2008, 04:36:10 PM
A purely pointless match neither will make it past the quaters neway... when d real chips are down! tyrone are a spent force for a few years and westmeath will never  win anything they should stick to fishing or sumthing! :D

Quality discussion Red Sea.

Fuzzman

I can sea your point there Red Sea and think you summed it up well but I'm not sure about the chips in Down being that great and certainly with both Tyrone and Westmeath being counties with no coastline I think the summer fishing could be a long shot despite the inland rivers in both.

I think you're right though its a pointless exercise and I'll get Ziggy to send one of his excellent letters to the Tyrone secretary to get the game cancelled.
Good work Red Sea and thanks for Signing up just to share that with us.
You'll save us a fortune in tickets, diesel, sandwiches and I hope you can get back to your homeland safely

http://worshippingchristian.org/biblestorymurals/images/Moses-Parts-the-Red-Sea%202.jpg

ziggysego

Letter's penned and ready to drop in the letterbox. Just give me the word fuzzman.
Testing Accessibility

Rossfan

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 23, 2008, 05:25:18 PM
both Tyrone and Westmeath being counties with no coastline I think the summer fishing could be a long shot despite the inland rivers in both.

Westmeath is full of lakes too.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Fuzzman

So anybody got any last minute news on possible lineup to be announced tonight?

Will Mugsy get a start or will he be drafted in during the 2nd half?
Will Penrose get another run or does someone else deserve a game such as young Niall Gormley or Harte's favourite Cavanagh brothers

I doubt they're be any changes but I would like to see....

Devine
McCaul/Carlin  - Ricey better used in HB line pushing forward
Justy/Joe - Would like to see Joe back in here allowing Justy to play MF
PJ Quinn  - Looks sharp
Ricey (NO CHANCE) - Better than Harte
Conor - Getting back to his old form
Jordan - Getting back to his old form
Enda - Did OK the last day but drifted in & out
Sean - Have to contradict myself now and he wasted in FF line & drives the whole team forward
Dooher - Another day like the last would be good Brian
Brian - Needs to get match time under his belt but beginning to show where he was.
Tommy - Our best forward in 2008 and would prefer if he was at FF but think he is better from HF
Mellon (3rd MF) - Showed some great fielding the last day and maybe would be better there from the start.
Colm Cavangh - Wouldn' tbe here if Mugsy was totally fit in my book but his height and accuracy will be help to FF line
McCullagh - Beginning to be a regular top scorer now in most matches and isn't just a free taker.

If Joey & Mugsy was fit to play then we would have
Joey/Justy
Sean Cav
McGinley
Tommy
Mellon
Com Cav
Mugsy

All big men well able to field and score and would add a lot of height and strength to our attack which struggled all during the NFL.

feetofflames

Tyrone V Westmeath

I have travelled thru Ireland England and Wales
and once I made it to Scotland
but never have I had such craic
till I arrived at the home of the red hand

"Omaghs got talent" - a fine looking town
the girls with curly blond hair
as I arrived in my Westmeath hat
they all just stopped and they stared

They said we've had kerrymen, Cork, Down and the Dubs
But nothing yet quite like you
The only maroon we've seen on the cubs
is the Galway tribal hue.

So I threw off my hat and I stood with a pint
and I told them of my dream
Of Dessie Dolan holding Sam
sure they told me that I was a scream

As I left later on with my hopes somewhat dashed
after being beaten inside out
Standing under the sperrins with my new mates half lashed
These tyrone folk they love their stout

But they'll now know westmeath and they know Dessie d
for he gave them quite a battle
and if we meet them next year and we mark big sean C
Sure we'll give it an awful rattle

But as for Tyrone and their fine looking hens
their singers and their songs
Their great Healy park and their footballing men
I hope their seasons long

the further I travel, the more that I see
theres little to beat the redhand
for the football so good and the girls so pretty
tis the finest county in Ireland.  

Chief Wiggum

Tyrone Dreamer

Would be suprised if there is any changes but you never know with Harte. Would like to see Justy McMahon tried at half back and if fit Mugsy starting.

feetofflames

Interesting one TD and I would agree that its  worth a shake up.  How about this for the back half of a team. 
Mc Caul: Joe Mc Mahon, P J Quinn; 
Ricey Mc Mahon Gormly
Mellon, Cavanagh
Chief Wiggum

Tyrone Dreamer

Thats not bad and would be physically bigger than what we currently have. Would be harsh to leave Jordan out who has showed signs of his old form. Would probably rather see Gormley in the centre and Justy on the wing were he would have greater freedom. Like most of our corner backs in recent years I feel McCaul is better suited to the half back line were he could use his speed to get forward. Have seen him struggling against good forwards a few times at corner back but he looks good when bursting forward from defence.