Tyrone v Westmeath

Started by Fuzzman, July 20, 2008, 06:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redhandluke

Would prefer to see T McGuigan instead of Colm Cavanagh - if for no other reason than his great performance against Down when he came on and scored 5 points.

Important thing is we definitely need a free-taker on board - if he is fit and ready to play then Mulligan should probably have a starting position somewhere.

WM have a great defensive record this year, and will be hard to breach - no better example than when they played Monaghan this year and beat them easy.

Tyrone Dreamer

Wouldnt be suprised if the team is unchanged but dont think we played that well on Saturday that Mickey couldnt justify 1 or 2 changes. Penrose could probably lose out in attack if everyone is fit. Personally Id rather see Harte not start in defence. I was happy enough with him in 05' but no longer feel he's one of the best 6 defenders in Tyrone - would be shocked if he was dropped though. Westmeath will be very tough and are probably a tougher test than Down who defeated us in Ulster. Unless there any further injuries I believe we are a lot stronger than we were in June. A win here and we'll be hard to beat going forward but there's nothing straight forward about Saturdays game. Westmeath out played Dublin in the division 2 league final and gave them a decent game in the championship.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Also believe that MH will name an unchanged 15, to introduce a semblance of stability and continuity if nothing else.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Tyrone Dreamer

Dont think many would say the team last week was our strongest 15. Surely at this stage we need the best 15 out, which if fit would include Mulligan.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Agreed TD, but he'd be hoping that those who were deficient on this particular occasion can raise it a level, which may not be at all possible where a few of the positions are concerned. So, just not to be previous with the fracturing of a winning team, I reckon he'll hang back on changes, but he'd need to be ready to act sharpish if we're struggling in whichever area(s).
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Mr. Nakata

Obviously Mulligan goes straight in when fit, but he didn't even get 10 minutes on Saturday night. If we manage to get past the maroons, hopefully he'll see some action the following weekend, my presumption being he's nowhere near fit for Healy Park.

loughshore lad

I think a fit mugsy would be a starter but he must not be at the races yet or else MH would have given him some game time.  As MH is quoted as saying in the Irish News today you can train all you want its the games that ultimately improve your fitness.  How anyone thinks Colm Cavanagh should start before Tommy the next day is beyond me.  With everyone fit and available I would like to see Tyrone play a system with Dooher, Sean Cav and Tommy in the half forward line, McCullagh and Mugsy inside and Brian given a free role to link the play in the hole between the half and full forward lines like he did in Drogheda.  Something like:

Dooher (roving)

Tommy, Sean

Brian

Mugsy, McCullagh

Fuzzman

Did any of ye notice on Sat how Dooher and Ricey seemed to be the only two lads who were busting a gut to run for each other.

Remember in previous years there would be loads of players running of yer shoulder and ye had loads of options for passes
Bit concerning that we're still reliant on the older heads to have this mad work ethic as other teams especially Fermanagh and Westmeath have really improved in this area

I reckon if we don't work hard enuf on Sat we could lose this one.

orangeman

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 23, 2008, 09:58:18 AM
Did any of ye notice on Sat how Dooher and Ricey seemed to be the only two lads who were busting a gut to run for each other.

Remember in previous years there would be loads of players running of yer shoulder and ye had loads of options for passes
Bit concerning that we're still reliant on the older heads to have this mad work ethic as other teams especially Fermanagh and Westmeath have really improved in this area

I reckon if we don't work hard enuf on Sat we could lose this one.

That goes without saying - we just can't expect to turn up and win !

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 21, 2008, 12:13:06 PM
Bad road Croi but shouldn't be much traffic

You'll come in the Dromore Road into Omagh and then you're looking to get onto the Mountjoy/Gortin Road B48.
You might be better parking up near the town centre and walking out to the ground as traffic afterwards is usually brutal.

http://local.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=Donegal+Town&daddr=54.547774,-7.851105+to:Omagh&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=11&via=1&sll=54.592356,-7.660217&sspn=0.283259,0.598755&ie=UTF8&ll=54.56211,-7.617645&spn=0.283469,0.598755&z=11

Can't see it being all ticket for a Sat night match can we folks?

Just looking at google maps there, route via ballybofey and newtownstewart will take the exact same time and will avoid Omagh town center. Will have to have my wits about me though to take the right back roads  :o, what's the parking like north of Healy Park on the Gortin Road??? Safe to have the flag on the car???

Also if anyone apart from that empty vessel knows the number of the middle of the stand t'would be very much appreciated...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Rois

Parking on the top side (coming from Newtownstewart) is just on the roadside or at the graveyard, though not sure what time it would close at and it's grand to have the flag up.

I can give you more detailed directions from the main Newton-Omagh road through the backroads if you want? 

Croí na hÉireann

Thanks Rois, it's just a left I have to take at Killynure/Mountjoy onto the Gortnagam Road I have to look out for, any landmarks to look out for before I miss the turn???
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Bensars

Comng from newton you will pass the american folk park on your left hand side.  First left after that ( about half a mile).
you will come out on a corner to join the main gortin/omagh road. Turn right and pitch is about 2 mile on left

Rois

Coming through Newtown you'll pass the Mellon Country Inn/Hotel, then the Ulster American folk park, and the turn off is up on the crest of a hill - there's a signpost for Mountjoy at the turn-off directly opposite it.

redcard

As you look at the healy park stand I think starting from the right the first red section is section A then each red bit is B, C etc. On the top right hand corner is the Gortin Road. Go left to the centre of town, right to Gortin.

Go here to see larger picture:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Pelgis/2007_0802Omagh/photo#5144682718286336178