Cork V Galway

Started by Reillers, July 15, 2008, 11:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Rebels make adjustments
Tuesday, July 15th

Cork boss Ger McCarthy has named his team to take on Galway in the All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship qualifier series this Saturday.

There are several positional swaps to the side from the one that sluggishly beat Dublin by five points last weekend, while there are two personnel changes.

Eoin Cadogan loses his place in the half-back line, as Ronan Curran comes in at centre back, with captain John Gardiner switching from the centre out to right wing-back.

In the forwards, Patrick Cronin comes in at right-wing, with Neil Ronan the man to lose out, as positions swaps take place. Ben O'Connor moves in from the wing to the corner, while Joe Deane switches from the corner to full-forward, as Cathal Naughton moves from right-corner to the left, on paper at least.

Cork (SH v Galway): D Og Cusack; S O'Neill, D O'Sullivan, B Murphy; J Gardiner [capt], R Curran, S Og OhAilpin; T Kenny, J O'Connor; P Cronin, N McCarthy, T McCarthy; B O'Connor, J Deane, C Naughton.

youbetterbelieveit

Definitely looking forward to this match. Cork probably for the first time this year have named a full strength team, They really need to start performing this saturday if they have any chance of competing for the all-ireland this year. Galway are going to give them one hell of a fight, I would expect Loughnane will have them physically and mental sharpe.

On a hunch I think Galway will win, but it will be damm close!

timmykelleher

B O'Connor, J Deane, C Naughton.

I take it Cork will not be raining high ball down on top of the full back line then!!
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

AZOffaly

That will be better for Cork anyway. Galway were in woeful trouble against Tipperary's full forward line in the League final, especially Lar Corbett, as Tipp played in low ball for them to run on to. When high ball came in, Galway did okay.

Lecale2

This is real championship hurling now. Do or Die. For the past few years the qualifiers have been predictable. It's very hard to call this one. When do Galway announce their team? If they are at full strength I'd take them to sneak it by a point.

cicfada

Expect Pa  Cronin to be played full forward!! So much depends on Galway's selection and the lack of a steady fullback line would have me nervous!! Also the Cork halfback line needs to be negated somewhat! Raining balls in on top of whoever plays in the galway fullback line is not what I want to see! Should be interesting! Anyone going at all??

AZOffaly

I'm leaning towards Thurles cic, although the Offaly football team has been named, and I'm getting pulled towards Tullamore again. Fecking hell. They wouldn't do this to Galway or Cork!! :D

AZOffaly

Quote from: cicfada on July 16, 2008, 09:51:26 AM
Expect Pa  Cronin to be played full forward!! So much depends on Galway's selection and the lack of a steady fullback line would have me nervous!! Also the Cork halfback line needs to be negated somewhat! Raining balls in on top of whoever plays in the galway fullback line is not what I want to see! Should be interesting! Anyone going at all??

I think if the balls are rained down on top of them, they'll be okay. They fielded a lot of ball against Tipp that day. They were in trouble when Tipp played in the low ball, and the Tipp forwards moved. I'd say that's what Cork will try.

Reillers

I'm a little more confident now then I was a few days ago. It's a strong team. Experienced but it's a bit of youth in it.
I'm looking forward to and dreading it at the same time, which is no different to every single match that they've ever played.

I'm going on Saturday, I'm looking forward to going on Saturday. I've been to Thurles more times then I can remember, but this time it's different. If we win great, it'll be fantastic. If, God forbid, we don't then at least we'll be there when the team, who has given us so much over nearly 10 odd years, gives it one final lash. If we loose on Saturday it'll probably be the last time we see one or two in a Cork jersey. Hopefully it'll be a motivation factor for team and the Cork team itself.

Some are saying that Sully wont be able to keep up with Canning and he'll get torn apart and that Deane's past it..etc, I doubt that, if this could be their last match in the jersey then I doubt very much that they'll want their last match to be remembered for getting walked on by some kids who've never seen never mind touched the Liam McCarthy. I think we are going to get one hell of a display from the Rock, from Deane and whoever else may be finishing up. If you want motivation look there because The Rock will not let some over hyped, over rated, "wet behind the ears" young player like Canning be the last thing he'll be remembered for because for as long as I can remember, Sully has never been really been hung out to dry, he's never really been brought to the cleaners, he's not going to start now. This team has worked too hard for too long to be remembered for going out with a whimper against a Galway team who's only been here for 5 seconds, I'd expect a massive preformance from everyone come Saturday and if we, God forbid loose, then we'll go down fighting because like I said, getting walked on by Galway in their last game, proving the critics right, is not what some of these players will want to be remembered for. 

GaillimhIarthair

Good to see your in bullish form today Reillers  :D  If Joe is placed at full forward there will be no need for Sully to go chasing because that young lad who is apparently "over hyped and over rated" will have no problem standing toe to toe with him  ;)  Sullys best days are behind him, Sat will decide if there are any in front....................

AZOffaly

QuoteThe Rock will not let some over hyped, over rated, "wet behind the ears" young player like Canning

Jaysus. That's a hostage to fortune if ever there was one.

Reillers

I just had to listen to a half an hour of so call Galway hurling "fans" pipe on about how amazing this Galway team is, how it's better then any Cork team there ever was..ever, how Joe Canning is better then every Cork player on that team put together, that they're going to destroy Cork, that Cork only ever won AI's because they got lucky and that Sully is the biggest fattest useless piece of crap of a player they've seen and how Deane couldn't find the goal if he tried and maybe it would have been better if he never came back at all.
That was leaving a lot of of it, and it cleaned up.

So me saying that Canning is over hyped and overrated is a lot politer then what I really felt like saying.

Really like you get a complement here or there from the press, you play one or two good matches against shite teams and they think they're God's gift. I wanted to beat them yesterday but I pray to God we beat them now just to be able to go into work and f**k that in their cocky, arrogant, little faces.

cicfada

::)   Reillers, The so-called galway fans are taking the piss out of you as they can clearly see that you  are easily agitated!! Any true Galway fan is a little uneasy about  this game with regard to the make-up of the fullback line in particular!!  I  have no doubt that Cork have a kick left in them but Galway will be rarin to go as well!! As for Canning let's wait until Saturday and see shall we?? But at 19 he has 2 Ai club medals, 1 Fitzgibbon, 2 Minor Ai medals, and 1 u-21 AI medal...not bad for somone over hyped and over rated!I would expect tannian to renew acquaintences with Sully anyway!!

Reillers

Quote from: cicfada on July 16, 2008, 01:32:04 PM
  ::)   Reillers, The so-called galway fans are taking the piss out of you as they can clearly see that you  are easily agitated!! Any true Galway fan is a little uneasy about  this game with regard to the make-up of the fullback line in particular!!  I  have no doubt that Cork have a kick left in them but Galway will be rarin to go as well!! As for Canning let's wait until Saturday and see shall we?? But at 19 he has 2 Ai club medals, 1 Fitzgibbon, 2 Minor Ai medals, and 1 u-21 AI medal...not bad for somone over hyped and over rated!I would expect tannian to renew acquaintences with Sully anyway!!

No they were deadly serious and they didn't even know we were there or where we were from or who we were for that matter, it was a conversation they were having between themselves, we just happened to over hear it, word for word. We really have nothing better to be doing at work.  :D :D

cicfada

Well I have seen Cork play 4 times this year as I live down here and I still am not confident about galways' chance on  Saturday after seeing  their poor displays!!I fully expect naughton to play in midfield and Pa cronin to be in at full forward no matter who is no 3 for Galway!It'll be nip and tuck all the way!