Cork V Galway

Started by Reillers, July 15, 2008, 11:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Quote from: Reillers on July 16, 2008, 12:28:27 PM
I'm a little more confident now then I was a few days ago. It's a strong team. Experienced but it's a bit of youth in it.
I'm looking forward to and dreading it at the same time, which is no different to every single match that they've ever played.

I'm going on Saturday, I'm looking forward to going on Saturday. I've been to Thurles more times then I can remember, but this time it's different. If we win great, it'll be fantastic. If, God forbid, we don't then at least we'll be there when the team, who has given us so much over nearly 10 odd years, gives it one final lash. If we loose on Saturday it'll probably be the last time we see one or two in a Cork jersey. Hopefully it'll be a motivation factor for team and the Cork team itself.

Some are saying that Sully wont be able to keep up with Canning and he'll get torn apart and that Deane's past it..etc, I doubt that, if this could be their last match in the jersey then I doubt very much that they'll want their last match to be remembered for getting walked on by some kids who've never seen never mind touched the Liam McCarthy. I think we are going to get one hell of a display from the Rock, from Deane and whoever else may be finishing up. If you want motivation look there because The Rock will not let some over hyped, over rated, "wet behind the ears" young player like Canning be the last thing he'll be remembered for because for as long as I can remember, Sully has never been really been hung out to dry, he's never really been brought to the cleaners, he's not going to start now. This team has worked too hard for too long to be remembered for going out with a whimper against a Galway team who's only been here for 5 seconds, I'd expect a massive preformance from everyone come Saturday and if we, God forbid loose, then we'll go down fighting because like I said, getting walked on by Galway in their last game, proving the critics right, is not what some of these players will want to be remembered for. 

Can someone email this to the Galway team?

Reillers

As soon as I send the conversation I heard to the Cork team.

Reillers

AZOffaly

You know, this board has been missing a really rabid Cork fan. Lads like TBT and timmy_kelleher are way too reasonable. :D

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 16, 2008, 04:07:18 PM
You know, this board has been missing a really rabid Cork fan. Lads like TBT and timmy_kelleher are way too reasonable. :D

Cic is a closet wannabe rabid Cork fan :P

AZOffaly

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 16, 2008, 04:25:43 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 16, 2008, 04:07:18 PM

Cic is a closet wannabe rabid Cork fan :P

No, he's just rabid :D

MaroonAndWhite

Whats the situation with entry? GBFM announced it was ticket only and Ive been told this afternoon that its pay at turnstiles?! Anyone know the right story?

What kind of attendance are ye reckoning lads?

AZOffaly

What I've heard is that it's tickets for the stand, but cash at the stiles for the Terrace. I'd imagine there'll be a decent crowd there. I'd expect Waterford and Galway to travel in numbers. Cork probably will as well. We'll be outnumbered as usual, and the game in Tullamore is definitely going to affect our turnout. I'd say 35,000 or so.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Reillers on July 16, 2008, 04:05:38 PM
Curiosity brought me here.
http://ghurlingadmin.proboards61.com/index.cgi?board=discussion&action=display&thread=556&page=1
Most seem to think they've got it in the bag.  ::)

Seems to be fairly reasonable comments made there in fairness.

As for the game itself I would personally be slightly worried as everyone (including their own fans) seem to be on the backs of the Cork team right now which is why I think you might see a reaction from them. I think they are on the downward slope alright but there could well be one or two big games left in them. They have not been playing well at all this year but at least they have two tough games under their belts against Tipp and Dublin. Galway have had two facile walks in the park against Antrim and Laois. Plus Galway and Cork have played each other three times this year I believe in two challenges and a league game and Galway have won all three which has me worried in itself.

Galway and Cork games are nearly always very high-scoring for some reason and on that basis you would think that Galway probably have greater firepower amongst their forwards if it comes down to a straight shoot-out but unless the Cork half-back line can be disrupted then the likes of Joe Canning, Damien Hayes and Ger Farragher won't see enough ball to win the game. You have to put someone on Ronan Curran to stop him hurling while maybe putting Alan Kerins on John Gardiner might be an idea seeing as Kerins cleaned him in the 2005 AI final.

Logically looking at the game you would think Galway would win a close one but somehow I think Cork still might have a kick or two in them.

MaroonAndWhite

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 16, 2008, 04:40:55 PM
http://ghurlingadmin.proboards61.com/index.cgi?board=discussion&action=display&thread=556&page=1

As for the game itself I would personally be slightly worried as everyone (including their own fans) seem to be on the backs of the Cork team right now which is why I think you might see a reaction from them. I think they are on the downward slope alright but there could well be one or two big games left in them. They have not been playing well at all this year but at least they have two tough games under their belts against Tipp and Dublin. Galway have had two facile walks in the park against Antrim and Laois. Plus Galway and Cork have played each other three times this year I believe in two challenges and a league game and Galway have won all three which has me worried in itself.

Galway and Cork games are nearly always very high-scoring for some reason and on that basis you would think that Galway probably have greater firepower amongst their forwards if it comes down to a straight shoot-out but unless the Cork half-back line can be disrupted then the likes of Joe Canning, Damien Hayes and Ger Farragher won't see enough ball to win the game. You have to put someone on Ronan Curran to stop him hurling while maybe putting Alan Kerins on John Gardiner might be an idea seeing as Kerins cleaned him in the 2005 AI final.

Logically looking at the game you would think Galway would win a close one but somehow I think Cork still might have a kick or two in them.

I believe Kerins has concussion though and is unlikely to play.....very big loss idf thats correct as hes definitely one of the more reliable big game players. Hard to know what the half forward line will be......Ger seems intent on playing Tannian on the wing altough if he can get Tannian going Id say he would give Curran his fill of it at 11. He'd hardly go with Donnellan at 11 would he?? Skehill would want to be cute with the puck outs anyway......last thing we want is everything raining down on Gardiner, Curran and O'Hailpin

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: MaroonAndWhite on July 16, 2008, 04:47:10 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 16, 2008, 04:40:55 PM

I believe Kerins has concussion though and is unlikely to play.....very big loss idf thats correct as hes definitely one of the more reliable big game players. Hard to know what the half forward line will be......Ger seems intent on playing Tannian on the wing altough if he can get Tannian going Id say he would give Curran his fill of it at 11. He'd hardly go with Donnellan at 11 would he?? Skehill would want to be cute with the puck outs anyway......last thing we want is everything raining down on Gardiner, Curran and O'Hailpin

I would probably play Tannian on Curran even though Loughnane seems to want to play him anywhere but centre-forward. Tannian gave Tommy Walsh his fill of it last year and Walsh only came into the game once Tannian was taken off near the end. In the league semi-final this year it was Curran that dragged Cork back into the game when he came on. Tannian is plenty big enough and has enough hurling in him to keep Curran busy down his own end rather than catching balls and driving them back down the field.

imtommygunn

Really looking forward to this game - it's on tv isn't it?

Both sides have so much to lose - more the managers than the respective players to be fair. If it were football it would turn into defensive drivel but I think these two teams are very capable of producing an entertaining attacking game.

It'll be interesting to see how young Canning fares in his first real championship game. Also it'll be interesting to see how Loughnane counteracts this great Cork FB line and how McCarthy tries to, if he does, expose Galway's FB line.(well FB)

I have a sneaky feeling Cork will win this though. I would love to see Galway do it though and give Kilkenny / Tipp / Waterford a good rattle. (Assuming Waterford beat Offaly which is no foregone conclusion especially with how Offaly played last week). Cork, reluctantly, by two.

What's happening with Eugene Cloonan? Is he off the pace now?

GaillimhIarthair

Eugene Cloonan remained in hospital yesterday, some two weeks after picking up a nasty blood infection in the wake of Galway's hurling qualifier win over Antrim.

Cloonan has spent the last 14 days in University College Hospital in Galway being treated for the infection which has required a heavy dose of antibiotics.

Galway Hurling Secretary John Fahy explained yesterday that Cloonan, who only returned to the squad in May after being left on the sidelines since the squad resumed training late last year, had sustained a small cut during the Antrim game which was "nothing more than you might get shaving."

However, by the Tuesday after the game in Belfast Cloonan had picked up a fever and was immediately hospitalised.

"He has remained there up to yesterday. It is very unfortunate for Eugene because he had put in a huge effort to get himself right after coming back into the squad," said Fahy.

"They have kept him in for observation because he is undergoing such a heavy course of antibiotics," Fahy added.

Naturally Cloonan has been ruled out of Saturday night's game against Cork and will be sidelined for some time as he recovers from the setback.

Ironically, Joe Canning suffered a blood infection in the build-up to the Antrim game and it was touch and go whether or not he would get to play in his first championship game.

Canning was cleared, however, and went on to score 2-6.

Galway finalise their team tonight for a repeat of the 2002 qualifier clash in Thurles which the Tribesmen won, a defeat for Cork that led to their winter turmoil.

Galway may have to plan without Alan Kerins who sustained concussion over the weekend in a training session.

corran ard

[/quote]

John McIntyre was interviewed on drivetime sport last night. According to him, Alan Kerins is definately out. Fergal Moore remains a doubt, while John Lee has gone down with food poisoning. God help us if they were to miss out.
I hate the idea of going into a do or die game without any sort of test beforehand.
Cork dominated Tipp for large parts of that match and but for wayward shooting would have been out of sight with ten minutes to go, before Tipp got on top and finished with a flourish. At one point of the second half, Gardiner sent the ball wide from under the stand, Cummins pucked out into the hands of a Cork forward (Pa Cronin?) who promptly drove wide from the centre of the pitch. Two wides in the space of fifteen seconds. I can't see Cork being so profligate this weekend.
Add into that, the drubbings Kilkenny have given us in Thurles in recent years and you'll know why I'm getting more and more nervous as the game approaches.

cicfada

Galway team for Cork match!!!!!

1 James Skehill
2 Damien Joyce
3 Fergal Moore
4 Ollie Canning (C)
5 Shane Kavanagh
6 John Lee
7 David Forde
8 Fergal Healy
9 Richie Murray
10 Iarla Tannian